The carp are spawning!

BOWFINWHITT

That's what I wondering.
Thanks!
Had a fisheries prof at UGA whose Mama was from the old country/Germany. Said she loved eating carp.
Yes I have heard of people eating them but I don't think I can .the gar are very good tho.we are also fortunate enough to have someone who will take what we don't use.

Ben1100Mag

Carp are actually really good. It is firm white meat. Nothing wrong with it at all. Carp get a bad wrap it is a shame to waste them.

Tugboat1

I worked with folks from the Czech Republic who favored carp. It was the traditional Christmas dinner. I've seen spawning carp. Seems to me shooting a boatload isn't much of a sporting accomplishment.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Carp are actually really good. It is firm white meat. Nothing wrong with it at all. Carp get a bad wrap it is a shame to waste them.
The only time I tried one, it was very strong, fishy, reddish meat. Much on the lines of that red stuff that I cut out of big catfish and striper fillets. It was nasty. If you like strong, fishy fish, then carp may be for you. If not, there are many other good-tasting fish out there. And carp are an invasive exotic species that does a lot of harm to our aquatic environment. Same as kudzu, fire ants, multiflora roses, and feral hogs. Kill 'em all and do whatever you wish with them, except throwing them in the bushes beside the boat ramp. I wish they were good to eat, but they're just simply not, to my taste. I am not a Czech or Russian. I don't like them on a plate or in the lake.