The deadly South eastern Black Mamba

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
a friend of mine was bitten year before last on the left arm by a black snake. It was in his chicken house on top of a switch box. Barry reached up to pull a breaker, and the snake bit him right in the inside bend of his elbow. It brought a lot of blood too.

Well, Barry caught the snake, turned it loose outside, and washed his arm and went about his business. The next day he wasn't feeling real well. On the 2nd day, he went to the doctor. The bite had put enough bacteria into his bloodstream that it caused an infection in his lungs. Barry was in the hospital for over 2 weeks, and they had to do all kinds of procedures to try and get his lungs cleared out.

He still has issues from it today.

Yea, a black racer has a nasty bite, plus you have to pull all those needle teeth out that break off in there.

snakebite - Copy.jpg

I've been bitten many, many times by black snakes. Never caused me any issues. I've been hurt much worse playing with a kitten or puppy.

Yea, a black racer has a nasty bite, plus you have to pull all those needle teeth out that break off in there.

View attachment 1049378
I have a scar about 3/4 of an inch long on the outside knuckle of my right hand pointer finger from one. I got nailed by it when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I had it held behind the head, on it neck, but to far back. It turned around, nailed me, and started a munching gnaw on my knuckle.

Barry's main problem with the snake bite was it was right on top a a vein in his arm. He didn't realize that some of the snake slobber got in his vein, and it durn near killed him

I have both subspecies of "spreadin" adder around here.
I had one back in 4 grade or so for a pet, took him to school about mid year, that feller got fed at least 2 frogs a day and was so lazy by the end of the school year he wouldn't hunt the frogs he would just wait till they got close to him. Great pets they are!!!!!