The End of a Deer Camp

Vaughn

Ten years ago I got the opportunity to lease a piece of property in Meriwether county. I signed up for a 5 year lease with the understanding that the property was an investment and would most likely be marketed to sell before the lease was up. I was fortunate to have the lease for 10 seasons. A lot of work and money went into the property over the years. Members came and went but we were able to keep a good core group of like minded members.
Several great bucks were killed every year, including some nice first bucks for the kids. My family has been particularly blessed to take a wall full of bucks and have been able to keep the freezers full every year.
Hunting camp for me was a 10 x 30 office trailer that I shared with my two kids and my father. It sat along side other campers surrounded by a pine forest. The trailer itself is nothing fancy but it works great for the purpose it is intended for. Many of cold mornings were spent watching the orange glow of the kerosene heater struggle to warm up the inside enough to get out of bed. Most mornings started with the heating of water on the Colman stove for coffee and grits. My kids were never a problem to get up being filled with nervous anticipation for what the day held for them. The evenings were spent around a fire discussing the day’s events and eating food that was cooked over an open flame. Looking back I think we will miss the memories spent with friends and family around camp just as much as the time spent hunting.
As I sat there on the last day of the season, I could not help but be a little sad. I had a feeling this could be my last sit in my favorite spot. I was filled with memories of deer that we had taken from this stand. Along with the times I just sat and watched. The morning rolled along slowly with several does feeding through. Then about ten I was surprised to look over on the edge of the food plot and see an old familiar buck standing there. After the shot, I could not help but smile knowing the lord had blessed me one last time in my favorite spot.
I would like to thank all the friends that we have shared camp with over the years helping to shape memories for my family and I. I know that there will be other places to hunt but there will only be one Deer Camp for the kids.

Thanks for reading,
Steven

Attachments

• 8C3DF842-823E-4102-878A-5003900E4370.jpeg
    8C3DF842-823E-4102-878A-5003900E4370.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 468
  • D44D2E0B-EFE1-4DFA-A617-2FA0D61A5B74.jpeg
    D44D2E0B-EFE1-4DFA-A617-2FA0D61A5B74.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 8B7FA274-5210-4880-8976-1892F2B89FD1.jpeg
    8B7FA274-5210-4880-8976-1892F2B89FD1.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 8DD57666-CEDE-4201-B9D5-A12D44092CDC.jpeg
    8DD57666-CEDE-4201-B9D5-A12D44092CDC.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 471

oppthepop

Bittersweet my friend - been there, done that. Can't even ride by the land anymore without a knot in my gut. Keep the faith and good luck on finding a new place.

Tadder

Yep God Blessed you one last time in that spot. Know thats gotta be tuff on the family. Best wishes too y'all for 2020 season. Y'all find a new camp for your trailer / well thats more than just a trailer, its deer camp home for the family.(y)

Core Lokt

One thing is for sure, nothing ever stays the same unless you own the land and even then things can happen. I'm glad you and your family had the opportunity to have those 10 years to make outdoor memories and your kids got to experience "deer camp" life.

Start looking, you will find another place to pick back up where you left off. Good luck.

Investing in a property that you dont own is always an unknown. I am happy you were able to make the memories that you did while you could! Go find you some more land! Best of luck to you.

alwayslookin

Nice buck and fitting end. Enjoyed the read and it will help others to not take their camp for granted. Best of luck finding a new camp this year.

Havana Dude

A man hasn’t truly lived until he’s been a part of a hunting camp. Been blessed to be a part of 1 long term camp, and a couple short term camps. I own my own land now, and ironically, nowadays, wives won’t let their husbands do anything anymore. So my camp sits idle, as I really don’t see the point in it by yourself. I miss the days of taking my kids for the weekend, as they are all grown and have lives to live. As the others have said, be grateful, and cherish those memories, and find another place to start some new memories. Good luck to ya.

transfixer

I hate that for the OP, I've been lucky to have been a member of a long time club for 40+yrs, initially we camped in trucks, tents, then built a clubhouse to sleep in, then got campers, which we still use today, members have come and gone, I was initially one of the young guys who had to get up and start the fire, and make coffee, now I'm just an old guy who has to do it himself, as we haven't had youngsters at camp in a few years, at one point we had up to 8 members, now we're down to 4, our tradition may be coming to an end in the next year or two, not because the property is being sold, but because we see so few deer now that we're starting to question whether the expense is worth it, we don't take many deer off our lease, but surrounding clubs evidently do, and the states insistence on season long either sex days and 10 doe bag limits have reduced the population greatly, So our many seasons of sitting around a campfire with good friends may soon come to an end.

When I does I'll feel the same way the OP does, things change I know, just not always for the better !

To the OP I hope you're able to find another property and continue on with your traditions,

Jim Boyd

Great story!!!!!

Loved it.

No investments in a lease = no improvements.

Meriwether Mike

Steven, I was saddened to hear that a contract was about to close on LROHC. My magic tree over there on the 200 acres produced some great memories, three good bucks and several does. Wow! Those kids sure did grow up fast. I wish you success in finding another tract to lease. 2014 8 Pt #2.jpgEight Ball #3.jpgHigh and Tight 2014 #1.jpgYIR 2015 #9.jpg

Last edited:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Hate to hear you're losing your lease. A hunting property is always so much more than just a piece of property to hunt on.

We drive right by our old lease in Gadsden Co on I-10, to & from our current lease. It was a nice little 205 ac farm.

Maybe you'll be able to find a new lease & start making new memories.

Gbr5pb

Know how you feel! Got one we had 27 years about to go up for sale. Saw son kill his first several deer and killed my best! Was hoping to see grandson get his first but guess that not to be!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yeah it sure sucks , I spent about 15 years of my life in the same lease , and it’s been about 20 years ago and I still think about that property, maybe u can work something out with new owner

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
A lot of us have been there. I hate it for you. We all pour a lot of blood and sweat in places. I've watched some disappear from those with decades invested. I've poured my soul out on 2 previous and heavily into a 3rd. I came to grips one day that everything I did out there wouldn't be there forever. And it was worth every bit of work, and the memories. Hope you find another place to make more for years to come.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I know the feeling too well, and it does hurt, especially when it's a beautiful tract of land with good hunting. Lost 3 awesome tracts of land over the years.

Best of luck in quickly finding another great tract of land, to make even more enjoyable memories on.

Vaughn

Thanks everyone for the great words of encouragement.
Mike,
That was a hot spot you had over there. I bet that tree would still be a one of the better spots on the property. Some areas just seem to attract all the deer!

Buford_Dawg

Yes, losing property hurts bad. I have lost my share of fine property and clubs and miss some of the guys who were members at the time. Had lots of fun. But, gotta move on and find that next place, there are out there, just getting harder to find and more expensive. Good luck in your search.