The F-150 set

buckpasser

This morning a childhood friend sent me a text asking if he could run the trap line with me. We’ve been pals since early childhood and the last three months have been a struggle for him as he battles AML leukemia. I was excited for his company and picked him up on the way to the plantation. He’s on round 4 of chemo and we hope a transplant is in the near future.

As I mentioned on the spring/summer thread, I only have four sets out. I didn’t see any sign since the rain on the first three sets, and honestly was focused more on our time in the woods together when we rounded the last corner. I was caught off guard when my friend said “what’s that!?”. There before us was the large black male I’ve been after! He was on the F-150 set that initially got run over by my co-worker. This is only my third coyote catch ever, and my second on those four sets in two weeks. I feel so blessed to be able to improve our deer herd and turkey flock with this timed trapping session, and really enjoy trapping as much as I have any outdoors experience. This beautiful canid was a great reward to boot.

I look forward to improving as a trapper, but I knew instantly this morning with my friend would be one of my finest trapping memories!

0154C3B3-B0A2-4EE0-98C2-E04FC27A3785.jpeg

B2662780-F35D-4599-8019-670A3A59BC22.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Perfect timing to get that beauty , congrats and u need more traps in the ground , also prayers for your friend !

sleepr71

Congrats on the Yote & making that Memory for your friend. Prayers for him?. I guess it’s the dark coat..but Black Coyotes eyes always look evil to me! Too bad you couldn’t have caught him in Jan/February when he still had a good coat.

buckpasser

I have a bittersweet issue now. I looked over all the main roads yesterday and this morning. Zero tracks! I pulled the traps and have them freshly boiled and waxed. I’ll now be looking for my next place to set.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a bittersweet issue now. I looked over all the main roads yesterday and this morning. Zero tracks! I pulled the traps and have them freshly boiled and waxed. I’ll now be looking for my next place to set.
I wish I had your problem ! I pulled all mine a few days ago and dyed and waxed , they about ready to go back in the ground

buckpasser

I have a purpose in life again!

I found a big fresh track this morning on the other end of the farm. I might have missed it if he hadn’t left a big fresh rabbit fur scat for me in the road. I promptly put three sets on him. 1 green corn set like the one I caught the female on, one dirthole set with tainted cat based bait and beaver castor, and something new I’m trying. I found a fresh dead pond turtle shell. I buried it about halfway underground on a 60 degee angle, applied tainted venison pretty liberally into the cavity then smeared on a very small amount of gland lure. Maybe a bad idea, but it looks pretty interesting!

Last edited:

280 Man

Banned
I have a purpose in life again!

I found a big fresh track this morning on the other end of the farm. I might have missed it if he hadn’t left a big fresh rabbit fur scat for me in the road. I promptly put three sets on him. 1 green corn set like the one I caught the female on, one dirthole set with tainted cat based bait and beaver castor, and something new I’m trying. I found a fresh dead pond turtle shell. I buried it about halfway underground on a 60 degee angle, applied tainted venison pretty liberally into the cavity then smeared on a very small amount of gland lure. Maybe a bad idea, but it looks pretty interesting!

Waiting on pics! I got a pic of one a few days ago! I've got three sets on it as well! Just three standard flat sets with different scents! Urine, gland and a mouse based lure!

buckpasser

Waiting on pics! I got a pic of one a few days ago! I've got three sets on it as well! Just three standard flat sets with different scents! Urine, gland and a mouse based lure!

He came through the central portion of the farm last night (half mile from previous night). I’ll keep the traps out a while and hopefully he gets caught when he circles back. I smeared a little more bait into the joints of the corn stalk from the seat of the buggy when I came by too.

280 Man

Banned
He came through the central portion of the farm last night (half mile from previous night). I’ll keep the traps out a while and hopefully he gets caught when he circles back. I smeared a little more bait into the joints of the corn stalk from the seat of the buggy when I came by too.

They'll both slip up eventually and then it'll be Katy bar the door! LOL