The God of harvests.

gordon 2

"Also, O Judah, a harvest is appointed for you, When I return the captives of My people."

The prophet Hosea says this to the Chosen People while he brow beats them for their infidelity and adultery towards God. I understand that it means that out of the mass of that comprises Judah as a people of God says through his prophet that only "some" will be returned from the captivity due all the sins of Judah or the severe transgressions of the Chosen People.

I might be wrong however, my reading might be all wrong. But assuming I'm in a good part on the right track, has it ever been the case that God is the business of harvests, that is in the business of "saving" for himself remnants of peoples who's greater parts seem ever to go astray ? Has this ever been the case with God and man in general? And so much so that it is the nature of God to do so? Is it the case in all dispensations or covenants including our own?

And if it includes our covenant with God whereby we claim salvation through Jesus Christ or that we are saved by faith or grace, will God harvest equally from the saved? Are Christians immune from God's harvest as with other generations or covenants or dispensations? Grave sins are now of no matter? There will not be a remnant from out of the Christians that God will need to harvests for himself?

I expect those read on Hosea and spirited in Christ will pipe in. And all who are willing.

Last edited:

Madman

"Also, O Judah, a harvest is appointed for you, When I return the captives of My people."

The prophet Hosea says this to the Chosen People while he brow beats them for their infidelity and adultery towards God. I understand that it means that out of the mass of that comprises Judah as a people of God says through his prophet that only "some" will be returned from the captivity due all the sins of Judah or the severe transgressions of the Chosen People.

I might be wrong however, my reading might be all wrong. But assuming I'm in a good part on the right track, has it ever been the case that God is the business of harvests, that is in the business of "saving" for himself remnants of peoples who's greater parts seem ever to go astray ? Has this ever been the case with God and man in general? And so much so that it is the nature of God to do so? Is it the case in all dispensations or covenants including our own?

And if it includes our covenant with God whereby we claim salvation through Jesus Christ or that we are saved by faith or grace, will God harvest equally from the saved? Are Christians immune from God's harvest as with other generations or covenants or dispensations? Grave sins are now of no matter? There will not be a remnant from out of the Christians that God will need to harvests for himself?

I expect those read on Hosea and spirited in Christ will pipe in. And all who are willing.
God is in the "business" of salvation, the story of Hosea and Gomer is an allegory for God continuing to pursue his people. Israel is out on the town with other gods and God goes into the market to bring them home.

As for the remnant, God always preserves a remnant.

1 Kings 19 Elijah complains about how diligent he has been for God and is told that he is not alone, "Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and whose mouths have not kissed him.”

Romans 11 fleshes it out.

Then we see a "reliving" in the NT era in Matthew 7:21; 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"

Your last questions, "And if it includes our covenant with God whereby we claim salvation through Jesus Christ or that we are saved by faith or grace, will God harvest equally from the saved? Are Christians immune from God's harvest as with other generations or covenants or dispensations? Grave sins are now of no matter? There will not be a remnant from out of the Christians that God will need to harvests for himself?"

A man can claim anything he wants, salvation belongs to the Lord, he alone will see the heart and decide who is saved. One can say whatever incantation they desire, perform whatever acts they choose, but those will not save them. It is for the Christian to live a life of faithful obedience, to be a disciple of Christ and a son of God.