The Good Ol Days

Wire Nut

My son is now 19 and married but got his 1st .410/.22 when he was 5. He was allowed to roam the 120 acres farm he lives on now once he was 10 with his gun. He got permission from the man behind us to roam his woods too and fish his ponds. Only rule was be home by dark. Can’t keep him out of the woods now

earlthegoat2

I grew up on 60 acres of family land. Hunted every day I could right out the back door.

I am thankful I did too. These days are harder and harder to get in the woods. I will hunt as much as I can until I can’t anymore.

No regrets.

leroy

Grew up with access to hundreds of acres spread out from walking distance out to 8-10 miles, Daddy always had 3 or 4 bird dogs and there was plenty of quail. I had a pack of beagles and a family friend who would pick me and my pack up almost every Saturday, ran rabbit boxes as well mama liked those rabbits the best to cook no lead to dig out lol.

specialk

Hecks sold them too, they unfortunately went out of business in the 90s, was a great store.

Savage bought out Stevens in the 1920.

We had a Hecks in southern Va back in the 80s...shopped there alot...they had a Ford flathead V8 painted blue hanging down from the ceiling with log chains in the auto section...quite impressive....

krizia829

Must've been nice to grow up in the country, especially back then!

Dying to get out of the city.. I wish I can say I had the same memories. I did grow up around guns and hunting, however it was only 1-2 times a year for just a couple of days..

So jealous reading these comments :LOL:

huntfish

Brings back memories of the past! As an Air Force Brat, we moved all around but was lucky to be able to live in Alaska and Colorado during my youth. Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage is probably about a 84,000 acres with mostly undeveloped and just roads going through the woods behind the flight line. We load up our backpacks and ride our bikes back there and camp out for weeks at a time during the summer. Yes, there were bears and yes we had them in camp. Just another day in Alaska.

WishboneW

Brings back memories of the past! As an Air Force Brat, we moved all around but was lucky to be able to live in Alaska and Colorado during my youth. Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage is probably about a 84,000 acres with mostly undeveloped and just roads going through the woods behind the flight line. We load up our backpacks and ride our bikes back there and camp out for weeks at a time during the summer. Yes, there were bears and yes we had them in camp. Just another day in Alaska.
I have 2 sisters born at Elmendorf AFB. Dad was stationed there 1958 - 1961. Amazing place especially for a kid. Back then an AFB was a very safe place to be as a kid. Completely self contained city. Air police everywhere.

Next stop Warner Robbins. Talk about a culture change!

Robust Redhorse

I am lucky enough to live in a rural area (17 acres that I inherited from my grandparents).

My son (now 26) and my nephew (now 23) (of my brother who lives about 200 yards away from me) were able to roam over at least 500 acres of family and friendly neighbor land when they were growing up.

They hunted squirrels, fished 3 ponds, played in creeks, built hideouts, you name it. (Very much the way my brother and I grew up in the 70's and early 80's).

We didn't have to worry about perverts, because the boy's had permission to put a .22 round into anyone who came close enough to touch them (after giving ample warning, of course).

There is still cheap rural land in middle and south Georgia.

If you have the ability to be your own boss, or work from home, you can still make it happen, but don't wait around!

Shadow11

One cold, frosty morning, take up your old single barrel shotgun, sling your shot sack with 6`s, couple of 8 shot, #1 buckshot, and your dinner, over your shoulder, and just go hunting. Be prepared to spend the day, and don`t have any schedule. Just relax, hunt, and enjoy the the day. Don`t worry about anything.
Chances are you`ll have the best hunt of the season. If not, the fault lies within you.
Reminds me of being a kid back in the 80s and hearing my uncles/dad tell huntn stories during get togethers. They all grew up around hiawasee and blairsville. There wasn't much to hunt for back then, but they loved doing it and talking about it. They always said not to go with uncle Leon, because he'd walk u half to death up them mountains.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Mike 65

KMarks for my Marlin Model 60. It cost about $60 in 1975.
Grandpa gave me a .22 Mohawk 10c around 73ish. Still got it.
some years later I bought a Marlin model 60 a Kmarts. Can’t remember what I paid for it. Still got it too!