The High Fence Questions...

spencer12

Ya`ll should see some of the bucks that come off some of our area plantations and farms down here in Southwest Georgia. They don`t get mentioned, don`t make the papers or social media, and if you don`t know the right people, you won`t ever hear of em, because most of the folks don`t care for the nosiness that comes with it.

Some true giants, both racks and body size.

Yep.

deerbuster

Ya`ll should see some of the bucks that come off some of our area plantations and farms down here in Southwest Georgia. They don`t get mentioned, don`t make the papers or social media, and if you don`t know the right people, you won`t ever hear of em, because most of the folks don`t care for the nosiness that comes with it.

I can vouch for this. I'm from SW GA, and have some friends that manage/hunt plantations. The pictures of deer and the deer they kill every year are absolutely unreal.

2bbshot

I got asked to come shoot some hogs with night vision 5-6 years back on a 10k ac plus plantation in SW ga. The manager went with us and this was in July or august. The bucks we saw in velvet rack glowing in the thermal were insane. We saw 10 deer in a night that were better than 140in and the manager just laughed and said we didn't see any big ones. He didn't seem like a liar.

stonecreek

Agree with Nic. Live in South Sumter county and several studs been harvested that are not entered in bow contest or Truck Buck etc... viewed truck buck entry's this morning and as usual the metro area has produced some real good ones but look at bucks coming out of Lee, Worth, Harris etc... Richard

Tmpr111

This!!! The 3 largest deer I've killed came from plantation and farmed areas in the panhandle of N. FL and S GA. Ours and the neighboring counties have always produced both big horned and big bodied deer due to habitat.

Soybeans, Corn, etc..... and with Corn back to being the everywhere for several years replacing many older cotton and all of the tobacco fields, it's only gotten better. Many there too don't do the internet thing or even care to show off their deer. It's not about that for them. Oh, and most shoot rifles as well. I love my bow and xbow, but the whole bow only produces larger deer may help keep some deer safe in areas by limiting who hunts, etc but comparing here to Iowa and other places like that is a silly argument to me. Habitat, genetics and population management "when done right" are what matters. And yes, all of those are much easier to manage with big ole' fences if you can afford em :)

j_seph

Post useless without pics nic:bounce:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Post useless without pics nic:bounce:

Don`t hold your breath. I would never jeopardize my standings and trust with these folks by doing anything like that. I`m neighbors with some of them, and consider them friends. It`s a real honor to get to hunt and fish some of these places myself. :)

j_seph

Don`t hold your breath. I would never jeopardize my standings and trust with these folks by doing anything like that. I`m neighbors with some of them, and consider them friends. It`s a real honor to get to hunt and fish some of these places myself. :)
you a good man :flag:

alligood729

Dang skippy.....I've seen some, and Nic is correct. You will never see one of those bucks on any picture or social media site.

alligood729

Even more true with the city giants. The average size of a city bucks antlers is far larger than a rural buck will ever be. Why? Age. Pressure. Etc.

But back to this high fence buck.....:banginghe

Depends on which part of the state you are considering....

Tmpr111

Even more true with the city giants. The average size of a city bucks antlers is far larger than a rural buck will ever be. Why? Age. Pressure. Etc.

But back to this high fence buck.....:banginghe

Yes sir. I agree with this, in areas. Although naturally that's like the high fence theory too right, or seems to have similarities...? They're in condensed areas many used to being fed, some are even pet-like (an ole Kennesaw giant that was subject of many threads here last year comes to my mind - kids still ask about him). And they may have less stress too which surely can help physically on the deer, right?. Coming from the areas I mentioned above, and participating in many annual night and day surveys for population management, I think many rural giants are much more nocturnal and most likely due to pressure being present --- but they're there.

However an argument can be made either way, I love em both!! I hunt in one of areas and shoot in the other and don't care what folks think of that....

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yes sir ! I like sitting in a tree like on the out door channel. Have the target deer look at u as u pull the bow. Release it. Smoke him then get all giggly. Hand the man his check, get your well earned trophy and go.