The History Of Little Creek Bow Club 2007-2021

davidhelmly

Sure it was an initial gut punch....and the new owners obviously are 'stepping' into a well loved tract with a long history of sweat equity, disappointed for you/your members, but guess happy for the new owners, here hoping they treat it with the same respect you and yours did.

Couple questions as you reflect back on your success (and failures): if you had to prioritize, in order of importance, what do you think had the single biggest impact, next biggest etc (maybe top 5 in descending order) that gave you an opportunity to hunt 140" + deer? Let's remove age as #1 however...as assume that would be #1. Just curious to learn more from those that have been successful on leased property with a club environment.
Hey Dean sorry I didn't go back and answer this sooner.

No doubt age is #1, I would say the choice of weapon that could be used being a hand held bow because that meant that the vast majority of the bucks made it thru every season so that more could make it to the 4 or 5 year old age class.

Next would be having a minimum size on the bucks that could be harvested and also having a sizeable fine for undersized bucks killed, a lot of borderline legal bucks were passed for fear of that fine therefore having more bucks reach that 4 or 5 year old age class.

Limiting the number of hunters on the lease, that's just simple math, less hunters = less deer killed and more bucks reaching that 4-5 year old age class.

Pressure would probably be next, we were always an EV or foot traffic property after August 1st and then about 5-6 years ago we would also close over half of the roads to all vehicle traffic on August 1st. It's amazing how much pressure you can put on a property when you've got 5-6 people running out midday to check 6-8 cameras all over the property, when you have to do it on foot you don't check those cameras as often.

Next would be food, I think our supplemental feeding helped us in 2 ways, obviously by upping the amount of nutrition available for our deer but I think they also imprint where those feeders are over the years. We would draw lots of the neighbors bucks in the summer because they had grown up eating out of those troughs and knew that food would be there all summer, we have never hunted over any bait so we would shut our feeders down in August and some of the bucks would disperse back to there normal homes but it was almost guaranteed that we would see those bucks again during the pre rut and rut because they were familiar with the area and knew there was a pile of available does on our place. Same with food plots, we planted every available acre that we could and tried to keep all of them in some type of preferred deer forage (mostly white/red clover) all year long. We kept the plots limed and fertilized to make them as attractive as possible too.

It's a hard thing to do but you have to also choose the right members, if you are trying to grow mature deer you don't need the guys that think they have to prove they are the great white hunter by killing a limit of bucks every year. You need members that understand what you are trying to do on a property and are willing to help that cause and keep there ego's at bay. You also need someone in charge that has the best interest of the land and the deer as their priority, that means that he has to make sure EVERYONE follows the rules and they are fair for everyone, it also means if you have someone that just doesn't fit your program for whatever reason that same person has to get rid of them. The good members in a club can't be made unhappy by someone not following the rules or just always being a whiner, it turns into a cancer and spreads.

Sorry I got a little long winded but there you go.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Always sad to lose a great property. Can relate, once had 2400 acres that my club had put much time and money into. Only to have it taken over by a hunting lodge operation that moved into the area. They learned about how great our lease was from a game warden who was a regular in the area. In fact, had hunted with us.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
David, I just saw this thread tonight.

I will admit to all that it was crushing tonight for me to hear this news. For several years now, You and Cindy and all of your hunting companions have impressed me to the absolute maximum. Your hunting skills are phenomenal and the effort that all of you have put into Little Creek has made my mouth "water" multiple times over these years also.

Your group has always had the very best management skills and such a wealth of knowledge about whitetails and how to manage them to the ultimate degree. As you know, I have been "hooked on trail cameras" for about 10 years now as that has been one of life's most rewarding accomplishments for me. HOWEVER, when I viewed your photos, my mouth would still be watering as I tried my best to sharpen my skills at knowing every feature of all of my cameras and hoping to be able to create some of the very best trail camera photos so that others could also enjoy them as well. Seeing your deer on camera made me strive to achieve maximum performance on mine as well.

I didn't do any hunting for 6 years before my wife died as we spent more time in the hospital than we did at home during those years. Then it took me close to 4 years after my wife died to even think about wanting to deer hunt again and my trail cameras made me finally have a better sense of "peace" as every time that I pulled the cards and uploaded them onto my computer and viewed them, I felt like my late wife was also there enjoying them with me also. You and Cindy have been very DEAR in my heart over these years and I was always glad when you posted photos and videos of the most beautiful whitetails along with other critters on this planet including "YOUR SLICE OF HEAVEN".

I also Hope and Pray that You, Cindy, and your other friends will ultimately end up with another property location that will continue to showcase just what life skills that ya'll have in creating a Wildlife Wonderland.

THANKS FOR SUCH WONDERFUL MEMORIES OVER ALL OF THESE YEARS. :cheers:

WishboneW

Little Creek had more than deer. It was a special place with a rich variety of wildlife like pileated woodpeckers, a multitude of songbirds, and all other wildlife that inhabits Georgia.

These 2 guys died of old age I imagine. The notorious Tom brothers, famed seed and feed stealers. They could see a tick move on a pine tree at 100 yards. I bet these guys saw the shutter move.

double gobble.JPG

Unfortunately no, it was bought as a hunting property.
I hate to hear this David. Just now seeing this. This is the sad thing about too much information being known on the internet and people talking about property and what you killed grown and done. Some big wheel comes along and buys it out from under you. I have seen this time and time again on the internet posting live from the tree Facebook etc… if you have a great property with big deer you best keep your lips closed and fingers of the keys.. about what you have growing what you shot and even all the improvements you have made.. it’s only a matter of time before you will be next… good luck on the new property young man

Long Cut

I’ll reiterate, it’s such a shame the property was sold out from under you guys because someone with bigger pockets noticed the work y’all had put in.

Hunting has become so cutthroat and competitive these days. You can’t even share pictures or tell folks where you hunt anymore, because they’ll try and cross you to hunt the piece themselves.. Or just poach it.

Always enjoyed the content and information Dave. I’ve learned a lot following your posts over the years.

buckpasser

I bet if David could go back in time he’d reconsider being so transparent about the quality of the property. You know it had to play a roll in getting it sold and out of his control and enjoyment. Sad deal. That’s why my place is bad, real bad.

basshappy

BANNED
So while the rug pulled out from under you stinks, look at all of the time over the years spent there and what appears to be some wonderful memories shared with loved ones. Having that many years and sharing all of those moments together is worth something for sure, even if it means that era or chapter is over and a new one is being written.

davidhelmly

So while the rug pulled out from under you stinks, look at all of the time over the years spent there and what appears to be some wonderful memories shared with loved ones. Having that many years and sharing all of those moments together is worth something for sure, even if it means that era or chapter is over and a new one is being written.
You’re absolutely right basshappy except I don’t feel the rug was pulled out from under me. When you hunt leased land there is almost a 100% chance that you will lose it at some point and we all know that going into it.
The way I look at it is that I was very fortunate to have 14 great seasons there, we killed some great deer, my wife and I even killed a couple, I met lots of great people, made some good friends and I learned a lot about managing property and deer there.
I enjoy sharing and definitely don’t regret sharing what we did there, if I had it to do over I don’t know that I would do anything different. I have no ill will toward the guys that bought it, they have the money to do it right, that’s what they are doing and I’m excited to see what they can do. They are super nice guys and I have actually gotten access through their property a couple of times when planting to get to some areas on our new property that doesn’t have good access.
No doubt it was tough when it happened but I honestly have no regrets, it takes a lot of time and work to run a club and manage the members, my stress level is certainly lower now.

common man

Hate to hear that I really enjoyed looking at your posts through the years. It shows what can get accomplished when you have a vision and a lot of hard work