The Homeless........

H

HT2

With reading the post that Howard post with concerns to Jesse Jackson saying that "President Bush would have left Jesus Homeless", got me to thinkin'........

I've heard talk show host talkin' about this as well (specifically Neal Boortz).......

What's your opinion of The Homeless??????

Is it their fault??????

Could they have avoided becoming this way???????

Do they just give up and they deserve what they get??????

It's a wide open question and open for all kinds of opinions.......

Let's discuss.......

I have my own opinion but I'll hold on to it until later......

O

OFD2Truck

I work in an area that has ALOT of homeless and I mean ALOT. We have two centers that "help" the homeless. I break it down like this. There are some women who are homelss due to problem at home..ie: abuse. A majority of the men are raging alcoholics or drug abusers who abuse the 911 system. I have no problem if you chose to drink your daily pay away, just dont call 911 because you are out of money and want a ride from an ambulance at 3am to go sit in the hospital where it is warm. We have people who call us upwards of 100 times a year requesting to go to the hospital. As a taxpayer it ticks me off! I am in "emergency" field and since when is you smoking crack all day and you realize you are out of money become an emergency? A stomach ache for 2 months and you call at 2am? Dont even get me started on the homeless! I have compasion for people, just be willing to try to pick yourself up and quit relying on the govt. :whip:

Last edited by a moderator:

Toliver

I'm with OFD. Things happen that are beyond your control and sometimes you just can't help it. Those people I don't mind helping or seeing them helped. It's the others that I deal with that I have no use for. They choose to continue drinking and using dope and as far as I'm concerned they can continue to sleep outside in the woods.

H

HT2

OFD/Tol.....

I couldn't agree more.....

The problem is distinguishing between the two....... ::huh: ::huh:

Toliver

HT2 said:
I couldn't agree more.....

The problem is distinguishing between the two....... ::huh: ::huh:

For us it's pretty easy. We see them everyday.

Ramey Jackson

This is a tough one Tim...However, it really depends on the individual that we are discussing. A lot of Veitnam Vets are homeless...Those guys hit my heart the hardest!

Sad thing is...most of us are only a few paychecks from being homeless...

stumpman

Banned
I wont go into detail this is a sore subject with a lot of people but ill say theres a difference in homeless and trying to get help and homeless and just being sorry trash there is a difference and most of what i see is the later ive offered help by way of work for money before and they didnt want that they just wanted a hand out thats trash in my book. There are circumstances beyond our control that happen to a lot of good people them i dont mind helping.

Last edited:

JerryC

I don't like seeing homeless people because it makes me feel uneasy sometimes. I know there is help for many that want it and hope that they benefit from it. The ones I truly feel sorry for are the ones that have a severe mental illness that is mostly why they got that way. That must be a terrible way to go through life. -JerryC

CAL

I certainly am not going to pass judgement on these people.I feel our country is in a pitterful state when we pour millions into other countries and our own people are sleeping in the streets.Personally I feel sorry for these people.I think it is easy to sit in our warm houses with plenty of food to eat and call them sorry and trash.

May we never forget that we are only where we are by Gods grace and no other reason.We could have been born in the same situation!

I also think that many of these people have been beat down with life in general to a point of no return.They don't know a correct decision,therefore they are what they are.They can't get out of the rut they are in.

cowboyron

I believe some are there because thats were they want to be.There are others that have been put there by certain circumstance. Then ther our those with addictions. All of these people need help and its ashame our goverment can't help these people but pour money into other countries. I watched a program on some woods people down here in Fl. The group that was in these woods 3 were alcholics and the one feller just did not like being part of society with work schedules and everyday laws. He was actually doing well. He was very constructive and had him a purdy nice place in the woods. I could go on and on but I'll stop. We have to remember that these with alchol and drug addictions are sick people and need treatment some can get help on there own and others cannot but they all need help.

stumpman

Banned
Cal i guess that was posted to me but thats fine but when they dont want to help themselves thats sorry in my book if they have run across some hard or bad circumstances in life and want help and try to help themselves then i have no problem helping and while i sit in my warm house that god has allowed me to have with my hard work and effort i have helped quit a few people i have even helped some here lately that did me wrong but thats ok also so unless we have all tried to help lets dont judge how some one else feels and as long as god allows me to live in my nice warm house and provide plenty of food for my family i will not feel guilty and will continue to feel the same way that i do now.

CAL

Stump,
You are wrong.My post was not intended to hit on anyone.I was only throwing out some of my feelings and that is all.If it was intended for anyone ,it was me.I am so quick to pass judgement!
I see these people and many times wonder why they are the way they are.They are someones parents,son or daughter,farther or mother.I am sure most if not all have been offered help of some kind or other.Like someone posted,I think there are some who enjoy this kind of life too.
If by some means we could get the real reason why they are the way they are,I bet it would have some interesting stories!

gabuckeye

The homeless are like everyone else. There are many different types amoung them. Some are down on their luck for the moment and want assistance in getting back on their feet. For those we should do all we can to assist them in getting back to a productive life. Many more homeless are just additcts and low lifes who steal anything they can to get the things they want most in life - alcohol/drugs/cigarettes. These people are criminals and dangerous. There are a few who just like living day to day on the streets. They know where to get food and shelter when they need to. Then there those who have mental afflictions of one type or another who just cannot make it on their own in todays world. They don't have family to assist them or take care of them. These are the ones who cause my heart to ache and bring tears to my eyes. There are very few places that house or assist these people. These are the ones that need our help the most. This type of homeless are the ones who end up in our jails on a daily basis. They get passed around in the crimanal justice system and end up right back on the streets until picked up again. Our jails are the largest mental health facilities in the state. That is a real shame. They are not equipped or trained for this. It will only get worse as cities grow.

Last edited:

Gaswamp

The poor will always be with you. It is not the responsibility of government to help these people.

cowboyron

?????....but it's alright for the goverment to take our tax dollars to another country and help those poor people. I still think we need to help our own first. :flag:

Ramey Jackson

cowboyron[B said:
]?????....but it's alright for the goverment to take our tax dollars to another country and help those poor people. I still think we need to help our own first.[/B] :flag:

I agree 100%...

roadkill

The govt. does help the poor people in america. The govt gives them money for housing, food and also gives them free healthcare. They take what money they make and buy better cars and stuff than I can afford with a good paying job. If I didn't have to pay for my house, food and healthcare, I'd be a rich man compared to now. I think the homeless just don't know how to work the system, or don't want to. As for me, I can't even use the system.

Al33

I believe the more shelters we have, the more homeless we will have. I also believe there is enough help available already for those who choose to take advantage of it and better themselves.

There will always be an element of society who would rather not pull their own load opting instead to live off handouts and not have to be responsible for anything. The shelters are filled with folks escaping personal resaponsibility such as child support. Perhaps if there was less shelter and food for these folks, they would be more inclined to figure it out on their own. Sounds cruel I know, but I would still gladly help anyone who will use the help to better themselves.

I know of two shelters in close proximity to each other in Cobb County. Areas around both are filled with litter up and down the streets. I have witnessed many times groups of these men laying or standing around, panhandling, and/or sleeping never bothering to clean up the filth around them they have made. I have a hard time having sympathy for them.

Al