The Last One

Redbow

Colonel Edward Shames the last member of " The Band of Brothers" a WW2 infantry Company and a popular TV series about Easy Companies battles during that war has passed on. Colonel Shames was also the last officer of the Band of Brothers who served with Easy Company's 506th parachute infantry regiment 101st airborne division living until he joined his brothers in arms in death on Friday December 3rd of this year. Colonel Shames was 99 years of age. May he and his fellow soldiers who gave so much to our country and the world during that terrible conflict always rest in peace.

Triple C

Yep. Those boys are pretty much all gone now. Amazing men and women. My dad was in Schofield Barracks the morning of Dec 7th and fought throughout the S Pacific theatre until the end of the war.

I'm disgusted with myself that I did not press my dad enough during his later years to find out much more detail about his years in the war. He just never talked about it.

Redbow

Yep. Those boys are pretty much all gone now. Amazing men and women. My dad was in Schofield Barracks the morning of Dec 7th and fought throughout the S Pacific theatre until the end of the war.

I'm disgusted with myself that I did not press my dad enough during his later years to find out much more detail about his years in the war. He just never talked about it.

I have known men like your Dad, they would not talk about the war it was just too painful for them I suppose to keep reliving it. And not just ww2 I have known veterans of other conflicts they were the same way. I can talk about Viet-Nam but I really don't do that often. This morning after leaving that conflict behind over 52 years ago I woke up with what I experienced over there heavily on my mind. Like many other veterans its something we will never escape until we pass this life.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I met him one year when they were having the Military Days program here in Toccoa. He and his wife sat and talked with me for about 20 or 30 minutes while my daughter was running the 3 Miles Up, 3 Miles Down race.

He told us that he had trouble sleeping at night because during the war, when he parachuted into France, that he would work all night, and sleep during the day. At night, his mind would go back to his days there, and he just couldn't sleep, but when the sun started to come up, he could lay down and sleep for several hours.

He told us that during those nights in France, he was putting out radio signal hardware so that the Allied troups could navigate and make a landing regardless of the weather.

RIP Colonel.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Neither did my dad and I pressed him for information. There was just too much pain to talk about it not to mention all who served considered their service less than so many others, especially those who paid the full price for our country.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Neither did my dad and I pressed him for information. There was just too much pain to talk about it not to mention all who served considered their service less than so many others, especially those who paid the full price for our country.
Anyone who has seen war up close and personal pays a price, whether they make it back or not.... one is never fully home again.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Neither of my grandfather's would talk about the war either.

If you have ever taken a life, self defense or other wise and it doesn't do something to you, something is wrong with you.

Latest posts