The Law: Side by sides on the road…

buckpasser

It is illegal to drive a high speed UTV on the paved roads of GA. True or false?

For the purposes of this question I’ll use the beloved Polaris Ranger for the vehicle in question, not a golf cart or straddle seat four wheeler. I’ve researched it some for myself and have come up with the following seemingly contradictory conclusions from my searching through Georgia code:

1. It is illegal for this vehicle to be on a paved road
2. It is legal if used for agricultural use with an orange triangle installed on rear
3. It is legal if allowed by local governing authority (sheriff/police chief)
4. It CAN be legal if properly insured for such travel and in an approved county or municipality

Which, if any of these statements is true? If anyone knows, and can definitively name the GA code, I’d appreciate your input. Thanks!

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Someone on YouTube got theirs insured and got a tag for it, but if not going that route it really depends on the local authorities, we had one on the farm that didn't have a triangle and rode that thing slap all over the county with deputies throwing up a hand as we passed by, granted we weren't speeding or jumping ditches, in front of them anyway. The town I live in now its an absolute no go unless we go the tagged and insured route which could be aggravating, admittedly I havent tried it yet

buckpasser

stick a slow moving vehicle sign on it, strap a chain saw to it, and if they ask anything tell them you are going to fix the pasture fence. Ag use

Well, I actually manage a farm for my day job and run an ag business on the side, so no issue there.

buckpasser

I’ll tell a little more. I was pulled over today at work on my work Polaris Ranger 4 seater (traveling parcel to parcel for the farm). The deputy said he wasn’t pulling me over to give me a ticket, just to inform me I was breaking the law. I respectfully asked him “Okay, what law is that? I’d like the code.” He said, “trust me, you’re illegal”. I asked again. He then called a state trooper who agreed, but again didn’t know what law I was supposedly violating. Besides irritating me (they should both at least be able to paraphrase some code), I became nervous about my CJ looking, lighted, insured Roxor. I rely on it for my side business and drive it on any road type but the interstate. I did install a triangle on the Ranger today, but I’m weighing options on the Roxor and how to proceed.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As of 2019, buggies we're in a loophole, as a piece of equipment, provided that you have an automotive insurance policy on your buggy.

As long as you are breaking no traffic laws, and have insurance, you should be good to go.

You can NOT be charged with not having registration, tag, or title because there is no way to tag a buggy in Georgia.

As long as your "equipment" has brakes, and some kind of lighting that's all that's required.

The code sections applicable are:

40-8-91.1 Definition of ATV.

40-7-2,3,4,5,6 Exempt from tag.

40-8-22,23 Lighting.

I bounced all this stuff off my sheriff and police chief, and was told it all appeared accurate.

Now, this all hinges on you being otherwise completely legal, and having an automobile insurance policy on your buggy.

Efforts were also supposedly underway to close the loophole, and I don't know if this info is still good.

Since 2017, I drive my buggy wherever I please, pass The Law all the time, and have yet to even be stopped so I can pull my insurance card and cheat sheet... ?

I got all this info from a Polaris Forum, but don't remember exactly where. A bunch of guys around Atlanta were driving their Razrs to a Starbucks every Sunday, and had been found to be legal. It all started when a cop towed a buggy without cause, and went from there.

You may be able to dig up the info...

Good luck!

buckpasser

As of 2019, buggies we're in a loophole, as a piece of equipment, provided that you have an automotive insurance policy on your buggy.

As long as you are breaking no traffic laws, and have insurance, you should be good to go.

You can NOT be charged with not having registration, tag, or title because there is no way to tag a buggy in Georgia.

As long as your "equipment" has brakes, and some kind of lighting that's all that's required.

The code sections applicable are:

40-8-91.1 Definition of ATV.

40-7-2,3,4,5,6 Exempt from tag.

40-8-22,23 Lighting.

I bounced all this stuff off my sheriff and police chief, and was told it all appeared accurate.

Now, this all hinges on you being otherwise completely legal, and having an automobile insurance policy on your buggy.

Efforts were also supposedly underway to close the loophole, and I don't know if this info is still good.

Since 2017, I drive my buggy wherever I please, pass The Law all the time, and have yet to even be stopped so I can pull my insurance card and cheat sheet... ?

I got all this info from a Polaris Forum, but don't remember exactly where. A bunch of guys around Atlanta were driving their Razrs to a Starbucks every Sunday, and had been found to be legal. It all started when a cop towed a buggy without cause, and went from there.

You may be able to dig up the info...

Good luck!

Thank you RRer! I’ll pull those codes again. I’m good on lighting and insurance with both vehicles in question.

sghoghunter

I don’t know about a law against riding on roads or not but I can tell ya that here in the small town I live in that a Ranger and golfcart are in the same classification and can be rode in town. The reason I know is my daughter got caught riding my four wheeler in town and got two tickets totaling a lil over $700. We took it to court and the wording said anything that wasn’t made for the rode that you sit across a seat was illegal

buckpasser

I don’t know about a law against riding on roads or not but I can tell ya that here in the small town I live in that a Ranger and golfcart are in the same classification and can be rode in town. The reason I know is my daughter got caught riding my four wheeler in town and got two tickets totaling a lil over $700. We took it to court and the wording said anything that wasn’t made for the rode that you sit across a seat was illegal

Yes, for whatever reason, they also classify straddle seat machines in great detail too. I guess they do regularly enforce the rules against them being on the road. Honestly, I’m not sure why they’re considered much differently than a motorcycle? You can have two wheels, two on the back, one on the front, two on the front, one on the back, basically anything but four! Haha

Hillbilly stalker

Are there no laws for husbandry equipment? Or are they covered by slow moving vehicles statutes ?

bullgator

It is illegal to drive a high speed UTV on the paved roads of GA. True or false?

For the purposes of this question I’ll use the beloved Polaris Ranger for the vehicle in question, not a golf cart or straddle seat four wheeler. I’ve researched it some for myself and have come up with the following seemingly contradictory conclusions from my searching through Georgia code:

1. It is illegal for this vehicle to be on a paved road
2. It is legal if used for agricultural use with an orange triangle installed on rear
3. It is legal if allowed by local governing authority (sheriff/police chief)
4. It CAN be legal if properly insured for such travel and in an approved county or municipality

Which, if any of these statements is true? If anyone knows, and can definitively name the GA code, I’d appreciate your input. Thanks!
2,3,and 4........?

Latest posts