The meetings to gather input on supplemental feeding (baiting) have been scheduled

fredw

Retired Moderator
Not trying to start any discussion here on the merits/lack of merits on baiting.....just relaying info.

To all, this is your opportunity to go and make yourself heard....regardless of which side of the issue you fall on.

Just one comment....the meetings are all during the day. It may be difficult for some folks to make the meetings.

------------------------------

M E M O R A N D U M

RE: House Wildlife Management Study Committee Upcoming Meetings

The following House Wildlife Management Study Committee Meetings have been scheduled to discuss Supplemental Feeding:

August 19, 2005 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Georgia National Fairgrounds & Agricenter
Fairview Room (located above the Administration Office)
401 Larry Walker Parkway
Perry, GA
478-987-3247

August 26, 2005 from 10:00am – 12:00pm
Rural Development Center
15 RDC Road off of US 41 North
Tifton, GA
229-386-3813

September 7, 2005 from 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center
75 Langley Drive
Lawrenceville, GA
770-822-8000

Please remember that all meetings are open to the public for participation. Directions to the Fairgrounds are attached and a reminder notice will be sent out for the August 26th and September 7th meetings.

Directions to the Fairgrounds:
Traveling North on I-75
Exit 134
• To Enter South Gate: Turn right at end of the exit ramp
Take first left onto Fairgrounds
Exit 135
• To Enter West Gate: Turn right at end of exit ramp
Turn right at first traffic light
West Gate entrance on left
• To Enter North Gate: Turn right at end of exit ramp
Proceed straight through traffic light
North Gate entrance on right
• To Enter East Gate: Turn right at end of exit ramp
Proceed past North Gate entrance
East Gate entrance on right
Follow drive to Security Office
Traveling South on I-75
Exit 135
• To Enter West Gate: Turn left at end of exit ramp
Turn right at first traffic light
West Gate entrance on left
• To Enter North Gate: Turn left at end of exit ramp
North Gate entrance on right
• To Enter East Gate: Turn left at end of exit ramp
Proceed past North Gate entrance
East Gate entrance on right
Follow drive to Security Office
Exit 134
• To Enter South Gate: Turn left at end of the exit ramp
Cross over the interstate, take first left onto Fairgrounds
NOTE: North, South, and West Gates may be closed due to special requirements for certain events. East Gate is accessible 24 hours.

hunting 101

Nice Time To Have A Meeting

i dont understand why they do these meeting during the day. most people have to work. i guess if we all took a day off and showed up it would make a difference, but some of us dont have that liberty.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
It would certainly have been better if the "Committee" had placed the meetings in a better time slot.

Perhaps the timing of the meetings was intentional?

Perhaps they gave little or no thought to the schedule?

Perhaps they have already predisposed themselves in one direction or the other?

I just turned in a "vacation request" for the Friday at Perry. That will cut me down to 3 days left for hunting but it's worth it to me.

GeauxLSU

Yeah, what's up with that?!?! :mad:
Luckily the Gwinnett meeting is not too far so I'll just take a late and long lunch that day.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Minner

Doesn't look I'll be attending. I don't have any vacation time (only been with this company for 5 months) and way too far for an extended lunch break.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
This is a good reason for us to attend if we can

Perhaps they have already predisposed themselves in one direction or the other?

I know how hard it will be for many, I plan to do my best to attend one:)

:)

hunting 101

yeah i think i'm gonna go ahead and put in a vacation day and go. we need to start standing up instead of whinning about it.

Coastie

For those that will not be able to attend in person, may I suggest you write a letter to the chairman of the committee expressing your views, concerns and why you needed to respond via a letter rather than attend in person. Be brief, courteous and to the point but do make every effort to present facts that you have rather than only your feelings on the subject. I will try to find the names and addresses of the chair and committe members and post them here, or, perhaps fredw has the information at hand and could post it.
Remember that this committee has no power to do anything except gather information and the committee wil be disolved on December 1st of this year unless the legislature votes to maintain it for a longer period.

Representative Jay Roberts - Chair
at the Capitol...
Room 109 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
in the district.
767 Brushy Creek Road
Ocilla, Georgia 31774

Representative Allen Freeman

at the Capitol...
Room 501 Legislative Office Building
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
in the district...
195 Walden Woods Drive
Macon, Georgia 31216

Representative Jay Shaw
at the Capitol...
Room 512 Legislative Office Building
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
in the district...
410 Chestnut Avenue
Lakeland, Georgia 31635

Representative Bob Lane

at the Capitol...
Room 226 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
in the district...
205 Aldred Avenue
Statesboro, Georgia 30458

Representative Gene Maddox

at the Capitol...
Room 401 Legislative Office Building
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
in the district...
2228 Highway 93 South
Cairo, Georgia 39828

Last edited:

PWalls

Question.

Why is the meeting being held to discuss supplemental feeding? You can already do that, there is nothing illegal about supplemental feeding. Heck, you can already hunt within 200 yards and out of sight of a supplemental feed station.

Are they truly there to gather information on "Baiting" which is hunting within site and close to "bait"? If so, why not say the meeting is being held to discuss "baiting" and not disguise it?

I guess I am just questioning the motives (ulterior or otherwise) if they won't even admit to what the reason for the meeting is.

Coastie

PWalls said:
Question.

Why is the meeting being held to discuss supplemental feeding? You can already do that, there is nothing illegal about supplemental feeding. Heck, you can already hunt within 200 yards and out of sight of a supplemental feed station.

Are they truly there to gather information on "Baiting" which is hunting within site and close to "bait"? If so, why not say the meeting is being held to discuss "baiting" and not disguise it?

I guess I am just questioning the motives (ulterior or otherwise) if they won't even admit to what the reason for the meeting is.

The resolution forming the committee reads in part:

"Whereas, a number of issues and concerns related to state wildlife management practices have been raised during the 2005 regular session of the General Assembly, including but not limited to the issue of hunting over or near feed or bait used to entice game; and"

You may get a full reading of the resolution at: www.legis.state.ga.us and search for house resolution 632

captainhook

I find it interesting. I consider supplemental feeding and baiting to be two different things. Baiting to me is putting out feed to try and shoot game over the "bait". Supplemental feeding to me is putting out feed for animals to give them additional nourishment during the off-season. I hope the state will not consider them one and the same. I feed deer and other animals in my yard. I love to watch them.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
"Supplemental Feeding:" ... "baiting" .....

That's a very good question, as it was (IMO) probaly set up by special intrest/politicals maybe the wording amplifies their real intentions :( and IMO makes it that much more important for a good showing of the "not so commercial" interest. ;)