The New ammo availability thread

rosewood

Diver had walked back to truck with the box…..my son had to run him down to get it & and sign .

Crazy.

Big labels all over it EXPLOSIVE.
I think it was Fedex. They quit knocking/ringing the doorbell after covid started. So has UPS and USPS. Not sure if that is why or not. Never know if I have a package until I look out the front door, or they drop it hard enough I hear a thud.

Rosewood

Wifeshusband

Thanks to our current political situation inflation is here. And it’ll get worse.
I expect price increases across all products.
And some retailers will raise prices to high, or not high enough, because no one knows how bad things will get.
So price fluctuation is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Ammo is not immune.
So I’ll set a price I will pay and hope I don’t miss a chance.

From a recent interview posted on the net by CEO of ammo maker, he expects the crisis to extend into 2023, meaning 2 more years of gouging and scarcity, .25-06 in the 100 grainers is particularly hard to find. There is some on the internet--Barnes TSX @ $70 a box. Ain't gonna pay that. I'll stick with lead for the time being. Flip side of all this, you got the WMA ranges all to your self.

Baroque Brass

Academy Tallahassee has a pretty good stock of ammo. Lots of 5.56 if you don’t mind paying .65/round. I do mind and I won’t pay it. Picked up a few more boxes of 12 gauge shells, that’s about all I’m interested in right now.

FlipKing

WR Academy has a few flats of 12 ga and a ton of 5.56. That's about it..

ssramage

Brunswick Academy had some 20 gauge Winchester shells, a handful of 20 gauge Federal TSS 9s, a few .22, some 350 legend, and a pile of .223 ammo.

snuffy

Academy in McDonough had Winchester and Remington game loads 20 and 12 yesterday morning.
$6.99 per box.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Academy in McDonough had Winchester and Remington game loads 20 and 12 yesterday morning.
$6.99 per box.
I have been seeing this as well in Macon and Warner Robins.

snuffy

They also had some 22's and 5.56, but don't remember the prices.

rosewood

They also had some 22's and 5.56, but don't remember the prices.
Seems like the 5.56 was around 65 cent per round.

HughW2

Went by the Newnan Academy today and they have several cases of dove loads, the usual Winchester / Lake City .223, some no name 9mm and several odd ball calibers: .450 bushmaster, .350 Legend. No deer loads (.30-06, 30-30, .270 or .308). Hoping some deer ammo starts filling the shelves before October. One weird thing they had in stock was .45-70 subsonic !!! Why would anyone have a suppressed .45-70??? Did not get that one.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Academy Athens had lots of cases of 20 gauge bird shot. Probably 50 boxes of 12 gauge.
Fair amounts of .223, 7.56, 308, 22 lr, some 300. You pretty much have to use the price scanner. The shelf prices are all messed up.

No 30-06, 270, 243, 30-30 etc

rosewood

Hoping some deer ammo starts filling the shelves before October. One weird thing they had in stock was .45-70 subsonic !!! Why would anyone have a suppressed .45-70??? Did not get that one.

Academy had a really big box of Federal .270 the other day. I thought it might have been 40 rounds, but said 20 on the box. Only saw one box and didn't notice price.

I have considered suppressing one of my 45-70s. Would be ideal for deer, even at sub speeds, plenty of butt to punch though a few deer.

I would really like a single shot 45 colt that could handle hotter loads (or .454 chamber). Loading a 340 grain cast boolit at about 1050 would kill about anything I needed to kill and would do so quietly if supressed.

Rosewood

edit:
a 405 grain bullet at 1050 has energy of 992ft/lbs and momentum of 60.7 , a 150 30-06 at 150 grains has enerty of 2997ft/lbs and a momentum of 64.3 . Not too shabby for a subsonic load in comparison and it makes a much bigger hole. Penetration is all about SD and momentum.

Last edited:

rosewood

Adam5

So ive been sitting on the side lines. But with Canda opening up I just booked a alberta mule deer hunt. So im gonna need to put in some time behind the rifle. Has anyone seen any varget? I only need a pound.

I don’t know if they still do, but TruPrep had some two weeks ago.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Latest posts