The perfect turkey vest???????

Limb Hanger

I don't think it exsists! I've tried the mossy oak elite series......to hot, hangs down to low, a + I like the way the pockets were designed; last year used the bucklick creek (built in seat), I like the seat, pockets weren't designed to well, it was heavy, and the little straps on the seat broke after one years use.

What would you all do to design the perfect vest?

Mine would be lightweight, pockets would be designed for certain calls (long box pocket, round pockets, 3 or 4, for slates, open pockets like the elite series so you can shove your gloves and face mask into quickly), it would have a back pocket that would be "easily accessed" to put decoys in, I'm not sure what type of seat, either the one off of the bucklik creek or a inner tube type seat...........

Give me enough ideas and we may come up with something!

gobblinglawyer

I agree. The perfect turkey vest doesn't exist.

I have tried most all turkey vests on the market over the years. For the past two years I have taken a Mossy Oak Super Elite Hybrid and "modified" it somewhat to make it a little more user friendly. The biggest modification was adding an inner tube type seat to the vest.

The vest is HOT, but I don't think it necessarily hangs down too low, but I guess I'm a little bigger than most (6'3"--240 lbs.) It could use another pocket or two for box calls and/or paddle calls. The game bag, though, is ideal for getting a decoy in and out while on the move.

The ideal vest begins with the seat. Comfortable and THICK! Then add 3 box call pockets (one to accommodate a paddle call) two breast pockets for diaphragm calls and crow locator call, a side pocket for owl hooter (Edney special ;) ) a few slate call pockets (3 or so), two big "bellows" pockets for headnet and gloves, two upright button top pockets for strikers, a few smaller pockets for bug spray, Thermacell, call chalk, scuffing pad, etc. and a big game bag for decoys, wing, etc. Lightweight is also a plus, but durability is somwhat sacrificed with lighter weight.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but that's about all I can think up right now.

Randy

Actually I think the Super Elite is as close as they come. I really don't have any complaints. What vest is not too hot when cuttin' and runnin.' It is the best I have found. You want hot try the Primos vest! I don't sit long enough usually for a seat to get hard.

Limb Hanger

gobblinglawyer....You hit on the seat part, its a joke to put the foam seats they put on vest you might as well not even have a seat! About the long box pocket Billy White showed me his.....I had to laugh, he had a elite vest with 4 holsters sewed inside the vest, it looked like something from a western movie!

Randy....the elite is so far the best I've been around but I think it could be improved! The primos vest didn't work out? They did what I'm talking about.....designing a vest turkey hunters!

Rpaul, do you use everything you carry? I don't, thats the main reason why I didn't like the elite vest, I had to fill all the pockets up!

Glenn

I have the Elite II vest with the sleeves that you can remove. It is HOT but you can cool down a little by unzipping the back cover that has netting underneath to expose the your back.

I was thinking about using a Run and Gun belt this year to keep the load off my back and shoulders. Most of my hunting here in Florida is off the beaten path and requires alot of walking through water.

All I need is something to carry a couple of slate and glass calls, 2 or 3 strikers, a box call ,and my mouth calls. Beyound that I need a place for a camera, Water, snacks, and a Thermacell.

I do so much Running and Gunning that I don't sit for long unless I am working a bird(s) for a long time.

I do have a fold up turkey stool that I carry from time to time.

Junebug

I've got an older vest made by Wolf Mountain; I like it. It's probably got far fewer pockets than newer models, but it suits my needs pretty well. I've modified mine a bit too; basically for the sake of organization and comfort.

Jody Hawk

Limb Hanger said:
gobblinglawyer....You hit on the seat part, its a joke to put the foam seats they put on vest you might as well not even have a seat!

The most comfortable seat that I have found are the ones with the inner tubes in them. I bought mine at WalMart. The trick is to let about half of the air out of it though.

Gadget

I can pass some of your ideas over to the developers at Mossy Oak, They're always looking to improve their line.

Last edited:
Check out that natgear vest on the mossyoak post. That vest anwsers alot of your needs, straps instead of sleeves when hot, waterproof inner pocket in the back for the swamp hunters, mix of large and small specialized pockets.

frankwright

I have a 10X vest I bought at Bass Pro years ago. It has straps so it is really not too warm. It has a lot of pockets and I replaced the padded seat with a better pad but will look into the inner tube deal.

The only thing that would make this vest better would be some higher pockets. My vest has a lot of pockets but they are all low on the vest and by the time I carry all the junk I carry it bulges out like Scarlett O'hare's ball dress.

Does it take a special inner tube or can you just buy one for a small lawn tractor or what? Or do they make a ready made seat for sale?

Limb Hanger

frank....
The seat you keep hearing about is a inner tube for a wheel barrell tire...If you get the air right it is the most comfortable seat period. I was making fun of people using them "hemroid seats" but after I sat on one I don't make fun anymore! I think breadlove (sp) sales them comercially

Jody Hawk

Limb Hanger said:
frank....
The seat you keep hearing about is a inner tube for a wheel barrell tire...If you get the air right it is the most comfortable seat period.

I bought mine at WalMart and like you said the trick is getting the air right in them. They come new with too much air, if you'll let about half the air out of them they are the most comfortable seat that you can sit on. I was sold on them after watching my brother- in- law sit for hours on his and never bulge while I was constantly moving trying to get comfortable while we were sat up blindcalling.

Mattval

We need to start this thread up again

Gaswamp

there is no perfect vest

Mattval

I believe in them. The perfect vest is out there!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive been using the same vest for many years.

Its always been to large for me. Its hot too.

Every time i walk buy a vest on the rack. I check it out. I always find something i dont like.