The Sweetwater Creek and Nickajack Creek Petroglyphs

Sweetwater

Interesting, wonder what they were trying to convey?

Been going to that park since I was 8. It's one of the natural wonders of Georgia.

IMO...

The creekbed of Sweetwater creek through the park is the exposed Brevard faultline...the dividing line between hill country and the flatlands. I believe the exposed fault exposes more of the earth's magnetic fields than usual....especially on that hill...which faces southeast. From the first time I walked on that hill near the ruins almost 40 years ago....something just feels different. Like walking under high voltage power lines.

I believe the ancient peoples felt this too...and considered the area sacred....using the spot to worship their gods and bury their dead. I believe the petroglyph was their way of trying to describe the area...and to warn others that this spot was a burial ground.

Artfuldodger

I've hiked by the ruins once but i had a baby on my back and didn't experience any energy. I think she absorbed it all. Beautiful creek.

Any ideas on Fort Mountain?

Sweetwater

I've hiked by the ruins once but i had a baby on my back and didn't experience any energy. I think she absorbed it all. Beautiful creek.

Any ideas on Fort Mountain?

It mighta been the willies I had.....after going down the creek at 16 in an innertube.

About Fort Mountain...I dunno. Been there...but no tellin.

Oconostota

Banned
Yeah, Fort Mountain is a tough one to figure out.

Anyone been to the Welsh Caves in DeSoto State Park in AL, before they became restricted from public access? They were a very, very cool sight to behold.

I think the Welsh may have been responsible for many unexplained things. They were here long before Columbus purportedly "discovered America". (He did not, btw. He was a slave trader that got lost and discovered the Bahamas)

I think there were interactions between the Welsh and Indians that could explain some of the strange things we find in the woods.

Sweetwater

I think there were interactions between the Welsh and Indians that could explain some of the strange things we find in the woods.

Yeah..I'm a mix of Kit Carson and Wolf clan blood.

And I ain't right...at all.

Oconostota

Banned
Sweetwater, could you point out the area where the petroglyphs (and any other cool stuff) are, on this map? I'd like to go try to find some of it. That's my main hobby - finding cool old history in the woods. From your OP description, I'm thinking it might be close to where the words "Sweetwater Creek State Park" are placed across the creek and to the left of the 900' elevation mark. Looks to be steep there. Correct?

SweetwaterCreek.png

Sweetwater

When you see these ruins...

4509736894_83463b37f0_z.jpg

Go uphill with your back turned to them.

You'll be on the west side of the creek.

From the parking lot....come straight down the trail....downhill toward the creek. Hit creek and turn right(south). When you come to ruins...petroglyph...along with stone steps...should be straight west and uphill from ya.

I'm leaving for Long Island for a job in the morning..be back in two weeks. If you go before then...post a thread.

Oconostota

Banned
Well, I went this afternoon with a friend. We looked where you described, but didn't see any stone steps or petroglyphs. On the top of described hill, we saw 2 or 3 piles of rocks. Saw a few bricks in the piles. Saw a hole, which may have been a root cellar or something, near a rock pile with a brick. Seemed to be indicative of an old home site, as there were also 4 or 5 big trees nearby. The only big, old trees around.

The Blue trail is up the hill a short ways from the ruins. It turns westward. We searched the area encompassed by the Blue trail, which was pretty much the entire hill top.

Either the leaves have covered everything, or we just missed what we were looking for. Actually, I don't really mind, because for me, when searching for old history, the journey is just as much the destination as what I'm looking for is. The search is lots of fun, and I won't complain about going back again.

Sweetwater

Well, I went this afternoon with a friend. We looked where you described, but didn't see any stone steps or petroglyphs. On the top of described hill, we saw 2 or 3 piles of rocks. Saw a few bricks in the piles. Saw a hole, which may have been a root cellar or something, near a rock pile with a brick. Seemed to be indicative of an old home site, as there were also 4 or 5 big trees nearby. The only big, old trees around.

The Blue trail is up the hill a short ways from the ruins. It turns westward. We searched the area encompassed by the Blue trail, which was pretty much the entire hill top.

Either the leaves have covered everything, or we just missed what we were looking for. Actually, I don't really mind, because for me, when searching for old history, the journey is just as much the destination as what I'm looking for is. The search is lots of fun, and I won't complain about going back again.

Just got back from NY yesterday...headed to Myrtle Beach till the end of the week tomorrow. When I get back....we should plan to meet up and go find the rock....and mebbe some shoal bass.

Oconostota

Banned
Just got back from NY yesterday...headed to Myrtle Beach till the end of the week tomorrow. When I get back....we should plan to meet up and go find the rock....and mebbe some shoal bass.

That would be cool. Last time, my friend scoffed at me as I grabbed my fishing pole, saying we were going to hike, but I should have brought it anyway. Next time, I will.

barbuck

Sweetwater Petroglyph

Well, I went this afternoon with a friend. We looked where you described, but didn't see any stone steps or petroglyphs.

Just came across this old thread... The Sweetwater petroglyph rock was removed from that site many years ago. In the mid-1900s it was displayed at Rhodes Hall in Atlanta; eventually moved to Visitor Ctr at Sweetwater when it became a park.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Fascinating reading. Thanks for the link.