The Troubled Times Table: Taquito Tuesday

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I still had some of that delicious smoked chicken left, so I rolled it up in some taquitos with roasted red and jalapeno peppers, green onions, and sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. Made up some Mexican rice and a guacamole salad, and YHFP brewed up a serrano queso sauce. This was exceedingly delicious. One of my favorite meals. I ate til I hurted myself.

taquitos.jpg

pop pop jones

I've never had fresh ones, but not a fan of the stale store bought. They have so little filling, it's like eating chips. Yours don't look stale or skimpy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had fresh ones, but not a fan of the stale store bought. They have so little filling, it's like eating chips. Yours don't look stale or skimpy.
I can't stand the stale store bought ones. Good fat homemade ones are one of my favorite foods on earth.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
Looks better’n any Mexican joint I’ve ever been in!

the Lackster

I still had some of that delicious smoked chicken left, so I rolled it up in some taquitos with roasted red and jalapeno peppers, green onions, and sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. Made up some Mexican rice and a guacamole salad, and YHFP brewed up a serrano queso sauce. This was exceedingly delicious. One of my favorite meals. I ate til I hurted myself.

View attachment 1008930
Looking good man

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
store bought without recipe and instructions
I usually make mine with pulled, smoked chicken thighs and legs. Roast and peel about half a red bell pepper and a jalapeno (depending on how many you're making and how much chicken,) and cut them into thin strips. Heat the chicken in a pan with the peppers and chopped green onions. Season it pretty heavy to your taste with stuff like chili powder, black pepper, salt, granulated garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle, and coriander or whatever Tex-mex seasonings you like. Let it sit and cool down while the flavors get together.

Shred some sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack.

Heat some corn tortillas until they're soft and flexible. I usually use an electric griddle so I can do a bunch at once. Put them under a paper towel or foil to keep them warm and soft as you work.

Put some of the filling and some cheese in a tortilla, and roll it up, then toothpick it longways to hold it together. Keep on until you're out of filling.

Deep-fry them at about 325-350 until they're crispy. Pull the toothpicks out. Enjoy.

The cheese sauce is just a chopped-up block of queso melted in a double boiler with some milk and finely diced jalapenos or serranos until it's smooth and the thickness you want.