The war on pigs begins-Pig Brig

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A few years ago we would see the occasional pig. Would get a few game camera pics, but never saw any while hunting. Now we see them regularly, and killed 10 this year. I’ve had enough of the destruction in our food plots. Can’t kill enough with guns. So, just ordered a “Pig Brig”. Anyone have any experience with these? Would love some feedback and field use tips. Will deploy and send some updates and pics. Hancock county.

https://pigbrig.com/
Man that’s exciting! Can’t wait to see how it goes! Anchors would be my focus as you’ll have no problem baiting them up…..a cell cam would be in order if you have one cause I wouldn’t leave them there too long. Other than that, HAVE FUN!

Two thousand dollars?!?!??

Wow.

Hope you catch a bunch of pork!!

Price the other whole sounder options that rely upon cellular to operate drop gates. 5k will get you started. Then there's the labor of hauling all that steel, oh you'll need a trailer add more $$$$, than online monitoring almost always nightly for a week or so before you can drop the gate.

The pig brig is a game changer.

Drykilned

A lot of folks looking for hog only memberships for the off season could help pay for some things like a pig-brig.

Edited : yote hunters pay for my food plot seed.
I agree with that statement. I have tried to find a place to hunt hogs in or around Colquitt county but no=one will let you hunt. Seems to me people are missing out a good money opportunity and should either allow some months of free or even pay as you go hog hunting instead of just complaining.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I agree with that statement. I have tried to find a place to hunt hogs in or around Colquitt county but no=one will let you hunt. Seems to me people are missing out a good money opportunity and should either allow some months of free or even pay as you go hog hunting instead of just complaining.
Yup. I’ve tried for 5 years to find a place to kill hogs. Never asked for favors or anything free. I’ve offered to pay to hunt. I finally got a place in Alabama.

I’m not saying they “should allow” us anything, it’s their property, their lease, their problem. But I agree they’re missing out on a little help. No single method will control hogs.

Good management = take some money from a few, use that money to buy traps. I was taught that every hog killed matters.

An example; I met a guy in Shellman at the restaurant, he owns property close to Lumpkin but lives in Fort Gaines. He was complaining about the cost of gas to check the trap, do away with the hogs caught, etc.

I’m in Lumpkin twice per month and offered to pay him $100 month to check his trap, do away with the hogs, reset the trap and keep it full of corn. He wouldn’t even entertain a price, just complaining about his situation.

I guess there’s enjoyment in complaining :huh:

crackerdave

Our Pig brig arrived this week. One of our members ordered it for us. We plan to let hogs get used to it first before setting it.
Trying to control them by hunting /shooting is fun but doesn’t help at all. Our neighbor has trapped and killed over 400 in 8 years. We still have more hogs than I’ve ever seen. We’re in Stewart Co. I’ve hunted in GA almost 40 years. I never saw hogs other than SE GA. until the late 90s.

They don’t root up our plots that bad but have learned it’s a long term food source so they graze like cows. The deer don’t have a chance. Same with acorns. When an acorn hits the ground a hog is there soon.
Hogs being nomadic, they travel long distances from food source to food source. And yes I agree. Feeders do seem to make it worse.
Hopefully we can help get the population under control at least in the local area. I know it’s hurting the deer health and the turkeys too. Hogs eat anything including each other. I hate to think about the turkey eggs that get eaten each year.
The biologist say you must kill 70% of them annually just to maintain the population. They’re as bad if not worse than coyotes IMO.
I think they're worse than coyotes because they breed so fast.

Doug B.

Yup. I’ve tried for 5 years to find a place to kill hogs. Never asked for favors or anything free. I’ve offered to pay to hunt. I finally got a place in Alabama.

I’m not saying they “should allow” us anything, it’s their property, their lease, their problem. But I agree they’re missing out on a little help. No single method will control hogs.

Good management = take some money from a few, use that money to buy traps. I was taught that every hog killed matters.

An example; I met a guy in Shellman at the restaurant, he owns property close to Lumpkin but lives in Fort Gaines. He was complaining about the cost of gas to check the trap, do away with the hogs caught, etc.

I’m in Lumpkin twice per month and offered to pay him $100 month to check his trap, do away with the hogs, reset the trap and keep it full of corn. He wouldn’t even entertain a price, just complaining about his situation.

I guess there’s enjoyment in complaining :huh:
I agree somewhat. But there was a guy on here last year that was asking for help on his lease/land with coons. He had a problem with them and was asking for help. Then at the end he was wanting money for anyone that was interested in hunting "his" coons. Now, there is nothing wrong with charging someone for hunting game that you don't on your deer lease, but begging for help with off game but wanting to charge them is a little extreme.

My point is don't come on a forum asking for help to thin the population of unwanted game but expecting to get money for it. Go ahead and charge the money up front and let the hunters know what is expected from them.

frankwright

Yes, I don't understand it.
It is a win win for a deer hunting lease. Allow pig hunters to pay a reduced fee and hunt anytime deer season is not in.
It provides a way to get rid of hogs, it also has someone watching the property in the off season and makes it harder for thieves to know when no one is there.
Extra money coming in for food plots, insurance etc!
I really don't understand why more clubs that have pig problems don't do it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yes, I don't understand it.
It is a win win for a deer hunting lease. Allow pig hunters to pay a reduced fee and hunt anytime deer season is not in.
It provides a way to get rid of hogs, it also has someone watching the property in the off season and makes it harder for thieves to know when no one is there.
Extra money coming in for food plots, insurance etc!

It can be a win win for everyone. But, bringing people in often brings in people problems.

A few bad apples ruin a lot. I weeded out a few yote hunters before finding a couple that I could trust. Now it’s a win win for us all.

Finding hunters of other “game” is no different than finding deer hunters to fill up your lease. It’s easier to complain of the hog problem it seems.

Last edited:

dfurdennis

I think having designated hog hunting membership is a great idea. If you can limit it to persons recommended by existing club members then you know who is on your property. We have 4 locations on our property that are designated HOG ONLY. This concentrates the hog population and gives opportunity to those who would typically not have the opportunity to hunt hogs to do so. These are the only areas where we have broadcast feeders, every other location has gravity or trough feeders...seems to work fairly well Now if I could talk my club president into doing this it would take some of the pressure off the membership to take care of the hog problem alone. We have a bunch of members in the club complain about our trapping say they like to hunt them but rarely see them down there to do any hog hunting off season. So I keep on trapping and hunting seems to keep thee population in chack.

crackerdave

That Pig Brig looks like the real deal.
As far as stillhunting hogs...I don't think it would make much of a dent in the herd because they roam for miles and your kill rate would be low.

That Brig...you can wipe out tons of hogs with it but unless you can connect people to take at least some of the meat,you will have some stankin piles of hogs ....way more than the buzzards and coyotes can ever eat.
That's the kind of wholesale slaughter it will take to control the varmints,though.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
That Pig Brig looks like the real deal.
As far as stillhunting hogs...I don't think it would make much of a dent in the herd because they roam for miles and your kill rate would be low.

That Brig...you can wipe out tons of hogs with it but unless you can connect people to take at least some of the meat,you will have some stankin piles of hogs ....way more than the buzzards and coyotes can ever eat.
That's the kind of wholesale slaughter it will take to control the varmints,though.
Not trying to make any kind of negative statement. Two or three generations ago people were raising hogs for survival. Open range was prevalent everywhere for hogs and cows. People fenced out their yards, crops,and gardens to prevent animals from eating them. Now they are considered vermin, and I understand why. If times get rough again those hogs will be in cook pots.

crackerdave

Not trying to make any kind of negative statement. Two or three generations ago people were raising hogs for survival. Open range was prevalent everywhere for hogs and cows. People fenced out their yards, crops,and gardens to prevent animals from eating them. Now they are considered vermin, and I understand why. If times get rough again those hogs will be in cook pots.
Problem is...finding ways to get mass quantities of pigs processed and into the hands of those that would love to have a freezer full of good pork.
It takes killing 80% of a wild hog population just to keep them from taking over,the way they breed.

Last edited:
Had a colleague I consider to be one of the legends of the industry who basically wrote to book on goose control who reported this.

He learned how to do roundups corralling hundreds of nuisance geese. Always early morning, as much on the downlow as possible, all geese moved to enclosed trailers, moved offsite for dispatch, etc. He would breast them out and donate to homeless shelters and food banks. Always gladly received.
Until, the antis got wind. By the time the antis were done not even the landfill would take them.

BassHunter25

We got one at the beginning of the season. We have taken out about 30 since September of 2021. Mostly with the trap. Check out my YouTube channel. I documented most of the trapping. I’ll say we are in a much better place now than we were. We went from seeing an occasional hog while hunting and killing it. To every single stand we had had a big group of hogs on about two to three years.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We got one at the beginning of the season. We have taken out about 30 since September of 2021. Mostly with the trap. Check out my YouTube channel. I documented most of the trapping. I’ll say we are in a much better place now than we were. We went from seeing an occasional hog while hunting and killing it. To every single stand we had had a big group of hogs on about two to three years.
Pretty neat!!! The 4 pregnant females with about 30 to 40 more piglets……….that trap saved you a future headache!