Thermal

TAS

What type of differential is needed between the air temp and an animals body temp to get a good thermal image?

sghoghunter

It don’t have to be much of a difference to pick up heat. Where the real difference comes in to me is how the humidity is. On my thermal on a low humidity night I can see just about as good as watching a black and white tv but high humidity you only see what’s giving off heat

TAS

That makes sense. I bought an ATN and when I have looked at animals (like my dog, not attached to rifle) I could see but without clarity. Was always humid.

Yotedawg

Humidity, dew point, and temp.
Humidity degrades it but the closer the dew point is to the temp, it gets a lot worse.

It messes with the detail of structure that you usually see, but has never kept me from identifying and shooting a dawg.

As far as temp differential, I have hunted in June and July right after dark and it be in low 90's. Still see animals very well.

chase870

Possum Sox
Thick fog is tough if its not to thick I'm good. Light rain or right after a rain is bad since everything is the temp of the rain more or less. Like Yotedawg says temp differential does not cause issues

dslc6487

I have a ATN 320 4x8 monocular. How do you sight in and focus a thermal monocular? Any help will be appreciated....

CohuttaMatt

I have a ATN 320 4x8 monocular. How do you sight in and focus a thermal monocular? Any help will be appreciated....
They actually make some targets that are visible in complete darkness in your thermal somehow. But they’re expensive.

I usually take a piece of cardboard. Put a large bolt through it. Like a half inch carriage bolt. Leave a good 3 inches sticking out the back and heat that with a torch.

Then you can take your time. As long as you don’t heat the cardboard much, you should be able to see the bolt head in your thermal for a half hour or so.

Usually just takes me one or two shots to adjust and confirm zero. Because most thermals have a digital process for one shot zeroing.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
A bottle of hot water works well also. I set mine up dead on at 50 yards.

Reactions: Dub

sghoghunter

Is that monocular a handheld or an actual scope? The simplest target to make is take a piece of cardboard and use either the shiny ac tape or take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it to to a square then stick it on the cardboard. Also when you place the cardboard down range lean it back so the foil and cardboard can get sun

dslc6487

My ATN monocular is hand held and not an actual mounted scope. Keeping it steady is the biggest problem. I bought it for a couple of reasons. In these times, it can be used to see predators, both 4 and 2 legged if you suspect predator activity. I am 75 years old and eyes are not as good as they used to be and I am also hoping that maybe it will help me spot a squirrel that may be hiding in the limbs after the leaves are gone. Anyone out there ever used one on small game, especially squirrels.....

sleepr71

Is the Monocular rated for Recoil? Most of the handheld NV devices are not rated/designed to be mounted to a rifle & handle recoil. Does it have Reticles in it to help aim,or how will you aim?

sghoghunter

Is the Monocular rated for Recoil? Most of the handheld NV devices are not rated/designed to be mounted to a rifle & handle recoil. Does it have Reticles in it to help aim,or how will you aim?

That’s the reason I asked what I did. My Firestorm has a 1/4-20 but in the bottom like a trail camera has. We use to put it on a short tripod and video us walking to the hogs

sghoghunter

My ATN monocular is hand held and not an actual mounted scope. Keeping it steady is the biggest problem. I bought it for a couple of reasons. In these times, it can be used to see predators, both 4 and 2 legged if you suspect predator activity. I am 75 years old and eyes are not as good as they used to be and I am also hoping that maybe it will help me spot a squirrel that may be hiding in the limbs after the leaves are gone. Anyone out there ever used one on small game, especially squirrels.....

Never used mine like that but I’m positive it would work. Try black hot it seems to pick up smaller objects better that white hot