They’re baaaack

JayHay

I understand that. But you said you cut them off sometimes after you kill the pig. I was just curious as to why you would cut the ears off a dead pig. Dog training?
For me personally, I've had a few young catch dogs over the years that I simply could not get to let go even after I killed the pig, they'd fight through a collar and I even choked them off a time or two which in return built their drive even more and made it that much harder the next time, so for me it was much easier to reach down and cut the ear off and then leash up and move on, they'd carry the ear for a ways but eventually they'd spit it out.
Now I have heard rumors as we all have, of punks catching hogs and cutting the ears off and then letting the hog go to intentionally cause the next guy that runs that pig problems. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not as I have never came across one

buckmanmike

Ive killed a boar before that had its tusk knocked out. Ive been told dog hunters would use a hammer on the tusk, release the hog to hunt him again another day, but protect his dogs.

JayHay

Ive killed a boar before that had its tusk knocked out. Ive been told dog hunters would use a hammer on the tusk, release the hog to hunt him again another day, but protect his dogs.
I've known a few guys that have done that, not something that I do or have done

Okie Hog

Releasing a Wild hog,after you’ve caught it.? Must be the same folks that kick Rattlesnakes,with flip flops on !

Pretty much. i have a hog trap on a small organic vegetable farm. Years ago the couple saw a sow and pigs, thought they were cute and fed the things. All went well until the hogs tore up the sweet corn.

Then the couple called me. They had rules laid out: Hogs had to be relocated. Told them releasing wild hogs from traps is illegal.

When there are hogs in the trap they call and leave while i kill and bury the things.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Castrating a boar could be a way to let a dominant boar occupy territory, keeping other boars out. He can't breed, so the population stabilizes, and as long as he is the main hog, starts to diminish.

DynamicDennis

I always wanted the toothy ones when I ran dogs. Most of the time the hogs with 1-1/2 in teeth were about the worst on the dogs

Doug B.

Castrating a boar could be a way to let a dominant boar occupy territory, keeping other boars out. He can't breed, so the population stabilizes, and as long as he is the main hog, starts to diminish.
I've never seen a barr hog be the dominant hog. It has always been a large boar in my experience. I'll have to start paying more attention

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've never seen a barr hog be the dominant hog. It has always been a large boar in my experience. I'll have to start paying more attention
I know the US F&WL used that approach in their attempt to reestablish the red wolf population in NC. They were having a problem with coyotes breeding with the wolves, so they trapped and neutered the male yotes, instead of killing them. If they kill them, another male moves in. The way they do it, the dominant male occupies the territory, but can't breed with the wolves.

Doug B.

I know the US F&WL used that approach in their attempt to reestablish the red wolf population in NC. They were having a problem with coyotes breeding with the wolves, so they trapped and neutered the male yotes, instead of killing them. If they kill them, another male moves in. The way they do it, the dominant male occupies the territory, but can't breed with the wolves.
I kinda understand that, but coyotes and hogs are two totally different animals. Again, I have never seen a barr hog be dominant! Could it happen? I really don't know. I have never seen a eunuch (for lack of a better term) buck be dominant. I have never seen a gelding horse be dominant, etc. I honestly don't really think a cut hog will be dominant, just my opinion.

Blackston

The ears get cut off sometimes when you can't get your catch dog to let go, even using a break stick.
I say a better break stick is needed