Things Are Changing In The Woods

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
It won't be long til we'll be talking about "Feeling It In The Air." -- Our bodies will detect the changes normally associated with cool weather and we all know what follows that.:D

As usual, the Deer are one step ahead of us and have started preparing themselves for the cold weather that's sure to come.

Here is a Pic of a Doe that has started entering what we in the Taxidermy Field refer to as "The Blue Stage." -- She is replacing the old summer coat with the new winter hair and this usually begins first on the muzzle -- backs of the ears -- and straight down the center of the back, gradually working it's way down both sides. -- Notice how it appears first as a dusty black color? --- In about 3 weeks this Doe will be gray as a Squirrel and slick as a Mole.:D

Attachments

• CDY_0155#1.jpg
    CDY_0155#1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 347

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
That's neat Woody......................thanks for posting

git'r

Augie

Very interesting! I'd never heard of that before.
:cheers:

bull0ne

Banned
Thanks Woody.....i like keeping tabs on different deer and their stage of molting/regrowing the winter coat.

I have tried for two years to get a bloody antlered buck right out of velvet....maybe this year.

Rackbuster

That's right Woody just watch mother nature and you can tell what is going on.I have some gopher tortoises behind my house and last year I was walking through the pines and I noticed they had pulled pinestraw over the holes.A couple days later we had a cold front with some cold weather come through.

Woody

Thanks guys

Here is another shot.

If you notice this Buck's sides -- he is a little farther along on sheding than the Doe.

While he won't be as gray as the Doe -- He's slicking up fast.

Velvet should also enter the drying stage within days.

Good things are coming!

Attachments

• CDY_0178#1.jpg
    CDY_0178#1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 333

Handgunner

From what I've heard, "walkingshaw" means "pig" or "pork"... and Okefenokee means "land of the sinking earth" or something along that line.. Maybe Woody needs to change the club name to "walkinokee" for floating pigs... :D:huh:

Woody

THunter said:
Looks like that area has been under water a little. No leaf litter. Anything to that? :D

THunter

Water?? --- Oh yes --- thought we was gonna have to do the two by two thing but we couldn't come up with enough lumber for an Ark.:D

pendy

Woody

nice pics.
When do the bucks loose the velvet on their antlers???

Woody

pendy ---- the blood flow going to the velvet should shut down this coming week. --- It possibly already has on some Bucks.

Then the drying process will begin. -- The actual sheding can be affected by how much rain the velvet is exposed to and how aggresive the Buck is -- with some carrying the velvet on into the middle of September.

The earliest I've seen horning was about August 17th and some of those had blood on them.

I guess the jump in hormones makes them frisky?:D

pendy

Woody

Thanks for the info.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Ol Woodsie coming through with timely info again:clap:

Sure is nice to learn something every once in a while and not have to wade through garbage to get it. Thanks Woody.

Jim

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woods Changing

Woody, there are some visuals that accompany the very gradual change in weather and length of daylight.

Joe Pye Weed is a common roadside weed that is currently in full bloom. It's flowering is a sure sign that summer is about to loose its grip.

Within the next two weeks, Goldenrod will begin to show some color. Goldenrod offers further assurrance that bowhunting draweth nigh. It is pleasing to see these "signs" in nature make their point. They are always on schedule.

Vernon

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Cool Pics Woody!!

Your deer may be a little farther along than the one's on my lease. This big girl was caught on camera on July 27th.

Tommy

Attachments

• 7-27-05 (2).jpg
    7-27-05 (2).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 89

huntaholic

Yea

Thanks Woody your on the Money Again ! :clap:

Woody

Thanks.:)

Thanks for the photo Thomas -- the bridge of her nose and backs of the ears look complete. -- Wish we could see the top of her back.

The photos I posted were 2 weeks later than yours. --- both August 11th.

Shine Runner

I had a doe come up to within 10 yards of me this evening...she busted me standing out in a food plot...crazy deer walked right up to me and she was down wind????? I got a goooood look at her but I didn't notice any of those color changes on her??? Guess MidGA Ocmulgee deer are a little slow. Can't wait for bowseason!!