Things are heating up...again! Lanier Report w/pics

Scout'nStripers

Might go out tomorrow but I was out Tuesday morning and never left the creek. We started out with some topwater and swimbaits catching a few on points and over brush on humps. We also had some luck with the whopper plopper and spybait over brush and out on long flat points. I can definitely tell an uptick in the size and the aggressiveness of the fish. I think they can tell that fall is on the way and are starting to get grouped up and school a little more.

It's not quite time to buy the cinnamon broom and the pumpkin spice latte's yet but change is only a week or two away. Water temps have crawled back up to the lower to mid 80's during the heat of the day but the days are getting shorter and soon they will be getting cooler. If you're going out this weekend hit the points early with a topwater popper, whopper plopper, buzzbait or a walking bait for the surface fish and also throw the blueback looking slow sinking swimbait such as a sebile in the same places. As it gets hotter try counting down a spybait to ten with a slow retrieve over structure. A few more baits that have been working are medium and deep diving crankbaits on the rocks and a weightless fluke in the shadows around blowdowns or deep rock ledges. The whopper plopper up shallow early can be productive also. Here's a couple pics with the 2 baits I had the best luck with this week.rich6.jpgrich7.jpg

Last edited:

Jonboater

Great report Jim! Some toads you got there. Man your making hard to choose from fishing and deer hunting lol. Definitely got to try some of that top water action on Lake Lanier. Lake Allatoona which is my Home lake but doesn't have no where near the top water action as Lake Lanier.

littlejon

Nice catch Jim. Up river I'm seeing them chasing threadfins and mid lake I've seen them chasing BB. Wolf pack are out moving up in the water column over deep water. Some LM pushing bait up on banks shallow. Cooler weather will really spark them.

Worley

As usual solid fish and great tips for success, thanks for the information. Men like you
make the fishing community better ?

RamblinWreck

I've been waiting to start fishing Lanier again. I barely know the lake, I only started fishing it when I got my boat earlier this year, and quit going there when it got super-hot last month (fished the cool river for trout). It sounds like the good fall fishing is coming on and the sport-o's are slacking off. That is the all-clear I've been waiting for. If you see an Alweld CC with Yammy on back, say hi!

littlejon

I've been waiting to start fishing Lanier again. I barely know the lake, I only started fishing it when I got my boat earlier this year, and quit going there when it got super-hot last month (fished the cool river for trout). It sounds like the good fall fishing is coming on and the sport-o's are slacking off. That is the all-clear I've been waiting for. If you see an Alweld CC with Yammy on back, say hi!
Your good on the weekdays. Pretty empty. Spots all over the place and crappie are deep

RamblinWreck

Boat is loaded. Just need some coffee, breakfast, and ice on the way to the ramp.

Got some new gadgets on board to learn, some new lures to throw, been listening to the Jims, and it should be fun. Lanier has never skunked me yet. I always catch at least ONE fish. Bring it Sidney... :cool:

Last edited:
Might go out tomorrow but I was out Tuesday morning and never left the creek. We started out with some topwater and swimbaits catching a few on points and over brush on humps. We also had some luck with the whopper plopper and spybait over brush and out on long flat points. I can definitely tell an uptick in the size and the aggressiveness of the fish. I think they can tell that fall is on the way and are starting to get grouped up and school a little more.

It's not quite time to buy the cinnamon broom and the pumpkin spice latte's yet but change is only a week or two away. Water temps have crawled back up to the lower to mid 80's during the heat of the day but the days are getting shorter and soon they will be getting cooler. If you're going out this weekend hit the points early with a topwater popper, whopper plopper, buzzbait or a walking bait for the surface fish and also throw the blueback looking slow sinking swimbait such as a sebile in the same places. As it gets hotter try counting down a spybait to ten with a slow retrieve over structure. A few more baits that have been working are medium and deep diving crankbaits on the rocks and a weightless fluke in the shadows around blowdowns or deep rock ledges. The whopper plopper up shallow early can be productive also. Here's a couple pics with the 2 baits I had the best luck with this week.View attachment 982821View attachment 982822
Good report man. I need to get out to Lanier again. Got a couple connections on Kayaks. Shore fishin is kinda hard to find at lanier. Any suggestions? Creeks, bays, main lake?

Scout'nStripers

Good report man. I need to get out to Lanier again. Got a couple connections on Kayaks. Shore fishin is kinda hard to find at lanier. Any suggestions? Creeks, bays, main lake?
If you're shore fishing a good spot would be some of the shoreline around Little Ridge park in Bald Ridge creek. I have a boat and I live on Bald Ridge creek and that park has some pretty good shoreline for bank fishing. If you got a little whopper plopper and walked the banks making casts I'll bet you could get bit. There's several other places on the lake just like Little Ridge park that has productive shoreline. As far as kayak fishing goes, the fish will be moving to the creekbacks soon and kayak fishing in the backs of the creeks will pick up considerably. Creek points out towards the mouths of the creeks very early are very productive right now. Not much boat traffic out there early in the morning.