Thinking about handgun hunting...with rifle cartridge

I have an encore in 7/08 and like someone else said- if I have a rest it is deadly to 100 yards. My farthest kill is 125 yards so far

My first handgun was a Contender. Got bored hunting with a rifle and have carried a handgun for years. In the Contender rifle caliber wise, my favorite is the 35 Remington, a sledge hammer on deer. The 30-30 is good as well, especially if you reload and use a pointed bullet. Think my Contender count is now around 20.
The Encore will handle the 7mm-08, 308 and more. Have the 7-08,308, 30-06,270,
243 and 22-250 in handguns. Most have a muzzle brake of one form or another to help with recoil.
The majority of my hunting handguns are scoped, a few with red dots. The scopes for most are handgun scopes aka long eye relief, some are scout rifle scopes which still give eye relief so the scope doesnt end up in your forehead.
Hearing protection is a must. Cant hear much out of left ear for being dumb when younger.
Pic below is my Christmas season ornaments, lol.

Attachments

deast1988

I have a contender in 6.8 spc
Encore in 7/08
Smith model 29 .44mag

Rifle rounds get soaked up pretty good by the hefty encore frame. A 6.5creedmoor with a 120gr load can get right at 3000fps out of a 15in barrel. I’ve seen some guys with pronghorn/mule deer shot at 200/300yds with it.

The contender platform allows you to explore a wide range of wildcat chamberings.
I have learned a heck of a lot about brass and bullets since I started loading for it.
After you've hunted long enough, you'll arrive at the same conclusion that I have,
The first shot is the most important one and if you do it correctly, you're done.
7 TCU 12inch Bbl with 2.5X scope sm.jpg

Last edited:
I've been hunting with Contenders and Encores for a very long time. In the Contender, I've taken deer with 35 Rem. 7-30 Waters Improved, 375 JDJ, and 45-70. All worked well ranges from 25 yards to 150 yards. With the Encore only have used two calibers 7-08 and 338 Win Mag. Ranges out to a bit beyond 200 yards. I have taken more with the 338 than any other barrel. All these are pistol-length barrels. My two favorite scopes are the Burris 2x7 and the Bushnell 2x6 Elite. The Bushnell Elite handles recoil as well as any scope I've ever used. The Leupold 2.5x8 is excellent also.

Lilly001

These are some of my contenders, and a few of their friends from older pictures.
I really like the .357 maximum.
It’s basically the rimmed version of the .350 legend.
It’s an efficient cartridge that is easy to load for. It performs well out to 125 yds or so. And it is very manageable to shoot. My favorite is the silver 10” one.
It’s really a coating that TC used for a couple years. Kind of like cericote.

Attachments

Lilly001

The top center in the second photo is the .357 max.
It’s topped with a red dot and has Pachmyr furniture.
But last year I carried a 460 S&W revolver just because it’s fun to shoot too.

Thread starter #31
These are some of my contenders, and a few of their friends from older pictures.
I really like the .357 maximum.
It’s basically the rimmed version of the .350 legend.
It’s an efficient cartridge that is easy to load for. It performs well out to 125 yds or so. And it is very manageable to shoot. My favorite is the silver 10” one.
It’s really a coating that TC used for a couple years. Kind of like cericote.
Great collection... thanks for sharing. I am definitely looking for one. I don’t reload so I gotta have a factory round, and prefer something with Lots of factory loadings. I am trying to find a used one.

Mr Bya Lungshot

Useless Billy Volunteer DJ.
937E0190-97A9-4ADE-BCDB-1DE9C58A39F4.jpeg This is a 6.5jdj with factory walnut hand sanded to fit hands.
I don’t recommend Thompson center contender or encore because you start buying 15 leupolds mounts cases holsters and barrels and bullets and moulds for all of em. It aint ended yet either.facepalm:
Then you gotta reload them.
I’ve shot one or two deer with it.