Thinking about handgun hunting...with rifle cartridge

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Looking at TC Contender. Deer hunting. Anyone have experience? Recommendation on cartridge out of a short barrel. I was looking at 30-30, .35 REM, 7mm-08 or even .308.

I will want a scope, 14” barrel (+/-). Have never shot one so I am a complete rookie at this. I am thinking about adding a pistol brace to it. I will be shooting it from a climber.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Long ago, I just HAD to have a T/C in 7mm08. 14" with a T/C scope and mount.

Took it to the range, with bipod, and squeeze bag.

I fired one round.

That was enough for me, and enough for my buddy who had been sitting beside me with the spotting scope.

Traded it for a Taurus .44 raging bull.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I've killed a few deer up to just over 100 yd with my contender. Have a 14" 30-30/Leupold2x and a 14" 35 Rem. open sight. I love my 22 mag/Leupold4x, but only mention it to say that I believe that 4x is too much magnification on a deer hunting pistol. The 2x on my 30/30 is just about right.
I think you'll have to step up to the Encore to get the 7-08 or 308 option.
My 2 calibres are bearable in regards to recoil, but I'd hate to be shooting a 308 pistol out of a tree stand.
I like woods hunting with mine. Hunting along open fields or power lines requires a really solid rest and shooting position.

pacecars

Encore in .338 Federal with a brake on a 12 inch barrel. You know when you fire it but it ain’t that bad5CCE85AE-ABF1-4DE1-884D-DF42D49F1CD5.jpeg

1eyefishing

I don't have any experience with it but I'm not fond of anything single shot. Have you considered this?

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/copy-of-bfr-30-30-winchester-revolver-stainless-steel-1/

Packs a ton of punch and you get more than one round. Also looks cooler

From my experience, the added blast from the cylinder gap on a revolver would make that gun absolutely hearing protection only. My 14" 30-30 is bearable when shooting out of a portable tree stand in the woods but shooting it from underneath a plywood roof or in an enclosed blind without hp is not something you will do twice on purpose. I imagine that the 7-08 and 308 blast would also be louder than my 30-30.
My followup cartridges are usually on my strong hand wrist band or in my weak hand at the shot so I've never had any issue with quick follow up shots. Have killed 2 deer with 2 shots over 100 yds with this method.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I've killed a few deer up to just over 100 yd with my contender. Have a 14" 30-30/Leupold2x and a 14" 35 Rem. open sight...I think you'll have to step up to the Encore to get the 7-08 or 308 option.
My 2 calibres are bearable in regards to recoil, but I'd hate to be shooting a 308 pistol out of a tree stand.
I hear ya on the .308 and treestand... but I think I can use a pistol brace on a contender or encore. If all else fails maybe try that. I saw a used 35 REM Contender that I think is my way forward. But still gonna look at other options till then. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

pacecars

It is a Leupold 2.5x8 and it is an MGM barrel. The Encore will take all Encore barrels. The Contender is the way to go if you want .30-30 type loads. It is much lighter than the Encore

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
It is a Leupold 2.5x8 and it is an MGM barrel. The Encore will take all Encore barrels. The Contender is the way to go if you want .30-30 type loads. It is much lighter than the Encore
. What model is that Leupold? Eye relief? You got me thinking that pistol might be exactly what I want? If you are hitting / taking deer at 100yards. That is the class of cartridge I want.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I have zero experience with rifle cartridge handguns. That being said, I'm a big fan of the 30-30. For deer sized game, it will do everything you need it to do out to 150 yards. Add to that it's availability, ease of reloading, and manageable recoil (in rifles at least) and it's hard to beat.

1eyefishing

I'm wondering about the practicality of a brace.
If you have the standard eye relief of a pistol scope, you wouldn't be able to shoulder it and use the scope very well. And if you are shooting off a rest or off of a shooting rail on your tree stand, the brace will be unable to attach to your arm because your forearm is in a downward position. From my experience the only real usefulness from a pistol brace (unless it is shouldered) would be with a one handed, one armed shot with a straight elbow or shoot from the hip/waist.
I realize this could be a whole different topic/thread and that I may not know how to run a pistol brace very well but in my opinion, a 2 handed rested grip on a standard pistol grip with a forearm would be the best case scenario.

I found a 30-30 contender with 14” barrel and 2x leupold scope used for about 750$ a couple of years ago. I have been wanting one for years. I love it. I have shot it 3 times to check the scope and killed 4 deer with it. 7 shots total. Longest shot was about 50 yards. Recoil is not bad. Shells were easy to find. I have not tried my reloads yet. Just got an encore today. Mostly wanted it for the frame. Good luck. It takes some coordination to get the ear plugs or muffs on with deer in front of you. I started out with a super Blackhawk hunter 44 mag. Then I read about the 45 colt and bought one of those in a super Blackhawk hunter. My biggest problem is figuring out what gun to carry. My wife would think that I have too many guns.

Last edited:

pacecars

It is their long eye relief scope. You can hold it at arms length

Ray357

AWOL
Looking at TC Contender. Deer hunting. Anyone have experience? Recommendation on cartridge out of a short barrel. I was looking at 30-30, .35 REM, 7mm-08 or even .308.

I will want a scope, 14” barrel (+/-). Have never shot one so I am a complete rookie at this. I am thinking about adding a pistol brace to it. I will be shooting it from a climber.
You ain't doing 7-08 or .308 win in a contender.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
You ain't doing 7-08 or .308 win in a contender.
Yea, I realize that now. I saw a picture of an encore pistol and thought it was a Contender. Now I think I know the difference... like I said new to this entire idea.

frankwright

Contender Georgia Jim Grips smaller.jpgContender Georgia Jim Grips smaller.jpgI have hunted with a Contender for quite a while and killed a bunch of deer with it. This was a 14" but did not like the way it handled and cut it to 10". It is 7-30 Waters and it bucks a little when you shoot it but it is not bad. If I can get any kind of a rest, I am good to 100 yards!