Thinking about handgun hunting...with rifle cartridge

deerslayer357

I have an encore in 7/08 and like someone else said- if I have a rest it is deadly to 100 yards. My farthest kill is 125 yards so far

Lonegle57

My first handgun was a Contender. Got bored hunting with a rifle and have carried a handgun for years. In the Contender rifle caliber wise, my favorite is the 35 Remington, a sledge hammer on deer. The 30-30 is good as well, especially if you reload and use a pointed bullet. Think my Contender count is now around 20.
The Encore will handle the 7mm-08, 308 and more. Have the 7-08,308, 30-06,270,
243 and 22-250 in handguns. Most have a muzzle brake of one form or another to help with recoil.
The majority of my hunting handguns are scoped, a few with red dots. The scopes for most are handgun scopes aka long eye relief, some are scout rifle scopes which still give eye relief so the scope doesnt end up in your forehead.
Hearing protection is a must. Cant hear much out of left ear for being dumb when younger.
Pic below is my Christmas season ornaments, lol.

Attachments

• 100_1408.JPG
    100_1408.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 16

deast1988

I have a contender in 6.8 spc
Encore in 7/08
Smith model 29 .44mag

Rifle rounds get soaked up pretty good by the hefty encore frame. A 6.5creedmoor with a 120gr load can get right at 3000fps out of a 15in barrel. I’ve seen some guys with pronghorn/mule deer shot at 200/300yds with it.

gemihur

The contender platform allows you to explore a wide range of wildcat chamberings.
I have learned a heck of a lot about brass and bullets since I started loading for it.
After you've hunted long enough, you'll arrive at the same conclusion that I have,
The first shot is the most important one and if you do it correctly, you're done.
7 TCU 12inch Bbl with 2.5X scope sm.jpg

Last edited:

rwg

I've been hunting with Contenders and Encores for a very long time. In the Contender, I've taken deer with 35 Rem. 7-30 Waters Improved, 375 JDJ, and 45-70. All worked well ranges from 25 yards to 150 yards. With the Encore only have used two calibers 7-08 and 338 Win Mag. Ranges out to a bit beyond 200 yards. I have taken more with the 338 than any other barrel. All these are pistol-length barrels. My two favorite scopes are the Burris 2x7 and the Bushnell 2x6 Elite. The Bushnell Elite handles recoil as well as any scope I've ever used. The Leupold 2.5x8 is excellent also.

Lilly001

These are some of my contenders, and a few of their friends from older pictures.
I really like the .357 maximum.
It’s basically the rimmed version of the .350 legend.
It’s an efficient cartridge that is easy to load for. It performs well out to 125 yds or so. And it is very manageable to shoot. My favorite is the silver 10” one.
It’s really a coating that TC used for a couple years. Kind of like cericote.

Attachments

• 7A900B3F-844C-490D-B10A-AC50830A5A95.jpeg
    7A900B3F-844C-490D-B10A-AC50830A5A95.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4A332B5E-040F-40E5-8A17-7B086922BD39.jpeg
    4A332B5E-040F-40E5-8A17-7B086922BD39.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 82229F16-0930-47F0-95F0-68BD9844248F.jpeg
    82229F16-0930-47F0-95F0-68BD9844248F.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 20

Lilly001

The top center in the second photo is the .357 max.
It’s topped with a red dot and has Pachmyr furniture.
But last year I carried a 460 S&W revolver just because it’s fun to shoot too.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
These are some of my contenders, and a few of their friends from older pictures.
I really like the .357 maximum.
It’s basically the rimmed version of the .350 legend.
It’s an efficient cartridge that is easy to load for. It performs well out to 125 yds or so. And it is very manageable to shoot. My favorite is the silver 10” one.
It’s really a coating that TC used for a couple years. Kind of like cericote.
Great collection... thanks for sharing. I am definitely looking for one. I don’t reload so I gotta have a factory round, and prefer something with Lots of factory loadings. I am trying to find a used one.

trial&error

I second the 2x scope replaced my 4x it was too difficult to get on target. It's not a first choice weapon for 300+ yd shots so you don't need all the magnification.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
937E0190-97A9-4ADE-BCDB-1DE9C58A39F4.jpegThis is a 6.5jdj with factory walnut hand sanded to fit hands.
I don’t recommend Thompson center contender or encore because you start buying 15 leupolds mounts cases holsters and barrels and bullets and moulds for all of em. It aint ended yet either.facepalm:
Then you gotta reload them.
I’ve shot one or two deer with it.

GregoryB.

I shoot 35 Remington in a 14in barrel with a red dot scope. I have had both wrist surgically repaired multiple times and the 200gr CoreLokt bullets are no problem.

GunnSmokeer

Where I grew up, New York State, you were not allowed to hunt deer with a modern centerfire rifle. That was considered too dangerous due to the range of the bullet if it were launched in the air and didn't hit anything along the way.
However you could hunt with a handgun chambered for a modern rifle cartridge plenty of guys had Thompson center contender's and Remington XP 100 pistols with good scopes that could reach out and punch a Deer's ticket at 200 yards.

I myself had a Contender with a 30-30 rifle barrel. But I never got around to putting a scope on it. I got it cheap, kept it for a dozen years, fired it a few times with open sights, and then sold it.

Based on how well it penetrated wood, and busted up clumps of dirt, I think it would work for deer hunting at whatever distance you could keep all your shots in a 6 inch group.

Newt2

Where I grew up, New York State, you were not allowed to hunt deer with a modern centerfire rifle. That was considered too dangerous due to the range of the bullet if it were launched in the air and didn't hit anything along the way.
However you could hunt with a handgun chambered for a modern rifle cartridge plenty of guys had Thompson center contender's and Remington XP 100 pistols with good scopes that could reach out and punch a Deer's ticket at 200 yards.

I myself had a Contender with a 30-30 rifle barrel. But I never got around to putting a scope on it. I got it cheap, kept it for a dozen years, fired it a few times with open sights, and then sold it.

Based on how well it penetrated wood, and busted up clumps of dirt, I think it would work for deer hunting at whatever distance you could keep all your shots in a 6 inch group.

You must have been in Western NY as I was. The "flat lands." I don't know if the 30-30 would have been legal in the Contender pistol because the minimum caliber was .35. I hunted deer with a .41 and .357. I had a 14 inch 444 Marlin Contender I took to the mountains.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I bought my TC Encore for this coming deer season. I decided to go with a 15” .308 Pro Hunter. I got the pistol a couple of weeks ago and shot it yesterday. I shot about 45 rounds through it, I really wanted to get the feel for the pistol. I like it. My accurancy wasn’t very good, but I will attribute it to my lack of optics and failing vision. Recoil was fine, not that I want much more, but I shot it with confidence and even shot it with one hand.

My overall impressions of the shooting session are that the pistol is long and heavy. I guess that is good in regards to recoil. I really don’t want more weight (And I still have to add a scope). If I where hunting in a box stand or a blind I would really like the pistol as is, but because I am an exclusive summit climber Hunter, I am considering another barrel in either .44Mag or .30-30 Win, in part, because I already own guns in these chamberings (I don’t need more) plus, I will use factory ammo. I also a want to try a handier - lighter shorter barrel.

I want to thank everyone who so far have offered advice towards killing deer with a pistol . I do have a few more questions.

In regards to scopes I have decide to buy the Leopold. But I have several questions. Is it really necessary to put more than two set of rings on the rail/scope? what are your recommendations / considerations in buying attaching rings?

What considerations for mount/rail? i guess I gotta remove the rear sight to attach a mount, and that doesn’t seem like much “purchase” and security of the mount. (Not sure I am using the right words) do you guys add a screw into the barrel to provide more strengthening of the mount? I was kinda expecting some predrilled mounting screws.

I really like the picatinny rail system and would prefer to go that route unless you guys can argue against that.

I am also wondering about a sling and / holster. What do you guys use and why?

any other recommendations I would appreciate.

thanks again
harry5BDB3CFE-CFB5-4E5C-8EE9-95ABDBF1AF7C.jpeg