Thinking about handgun hunting...with rifle cartridge

rosewood

Ok - another thing... after I installed the 44barrel I notice that the forearm was a little loose even after I ensured screws where properly torqued. After 40 rounds of 44mag the forearm is noticeably looser. Do I have the wrong forearm? Is there a difference between a 308 and 44 forearm. My research says they are the same. Am I supposed to us different screws?

I haven't ran into that. I use the same forearm. You may have overtightened the screws and collapsed part of the forearm where the screws seat. You can install some washers on the screws. Also, you can place the washers between the forearm and barrel for a pseudo free float which some folks do to aid in accuracy. I think the front and back screw are different lengths on some forearms.

Rosewood

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Ok, I added a couple of washers under the forearm. Much better now. I got a bellm trigger kit and a hammer extension. Gonna install this weekend and shoot next week... more to follow.3EF61E74-F7E4-4284-9705-D4A3DF25080F.jpeg

Buckhead

I have a 10” bull .44 mag barrel for my Contender. With typical 240 gr factory loads, kicks a bit. Only an issue at the range, unnoticeable while hunting. I have a Rynite grip and forend, thinking of switching to Pachmyer. In a Contender or Encore, you get carbine velo. Different animal than a .44 mag revolver.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I am really excited because I just finished installing Bellm’s deluxe spring kit. I really struggled with it at first. But I finally figured it out and now I could probably install one in about 20 minutes. (Minus polish)

I don’t have a way to measure where the trigger breaks, but it is definitely a huge difference. I am so excited to shoot it. My guess it is closer to two# than three #. And it is crisp. I greased it up and it feels real good - I am very happy.

While I was disassembling it I realized that I could reposition the hammer spur at a 45 degree angle so that I can operate the cocking and decocking with the factory hammer under the low mounted scope.

I learned so much installing the trigger kit! Thank you for the suggestions.

I took a picture below of what I did with the hammer. I hope it will help with the understanding of what I did. No need for a hammer extension.BEB1F7E1-133A-4488-8C1D-02143251961C.jpegBE1C8619-685B-4DDC-97F0-178D602B5CB1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bobby Bigtime

I have hunted with handguns a bunch ,for a decade or so almost exclusively. Like one eye I used a contender in 30-30 with good success. I found it controllable and effective. The biggest issue I had with the contender was carrying the thing. Tried sling without sling but never went with a holster because of the sheer size of the contender with scope. I eventually went back to my revolvers. In some ways I miss the contender it was accurate and paired with the 30-30 it was appropriate. Good luck in your adventure!!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I was warned by Thompson Center not to use a hammer extension.
I had to send mine back to the factory with a broken spring. They said the sideways torque from the heavy recoil will break the spring.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I haven't seen a factory load lighter than 150 grain round nose (meant to expand at 30/30 rifle velocity). The velocity loss from a shorter barrel ( I would suggest 14" min.) warrants a lighter bullet and faster powder. The extra frangibility of the Btip is useful here (verses spitting them out at magnum rifle speeds). There are plenty of custom ammo makers around to help you out...
Ga Arms in Villa Rica...
I think @BriarPatch99 knows a guy...

rosewood

I am really excited because I just finished installing Bellm’s deluxe spring kit. I really struggled with it at first. But I finally figured it out and now I could probably install one in about 20 minutes. (Minus polish)

I don’t have a way to measure where the trigger breaks, but it is definitely a huge difference. I am so excited to shoot it. My guess it is closer to two# than three #. And it is crisp. I greased it up and it feels real good - I am very happy.

While I was disassembling it I realized that I could reposition the hammer spur at a 45 degree angle so that I can operate the cocking and decocking with the factory hammer under the low mounted scope.

I learned so much installing the trigger kit! Thank you for the suggestions.

I took a picture below of what I did with the hammer. I hope it will help with the understanding of what I did. No need for a hammer extension.View attachment 1085265View attachment 1085266
I forgot about those new pro hunter frames, the swing hammer eliminates the need for a hammer extension. U should send it back.

rosewood

Yes I have a 30-30 barrel on the way...

Will it recoil about the same as the .44?
Aftermarket? I didn't think tc made the 3030 for the encore, only contender??

Bobby Bigtime

i don’t reload... I have a whole mess of 30-30 for target shooting, but need to learn about factory loaded 30-30 that would be best on deer.
There is a 125gr hollow point that is great on deer. Out of a stand will be very effective. Should recoil a bit less as well.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Aftermarket? I didn't think tc made the 3030 for the encore, only contender??
I order one from Mr.Bullberry. He is making a special one. He couldn't guarantee it before deer season, so I found the .44mag for a decent price - so I got it just in case. I hope to use the 30-30 for deer

Handgunner 45-70

I also have Troy at Bullberry making me two barrels for a contender, one is a 12 in. 30-30 with compensator and 12 in. 223. I have a armory alloy frame and 44 mag barrel that I am sending to him to redo the bushing so it will except stander contender barrels. He got my order in Feb. and hope to get all back before deer season.

Seminole Wind

Harry, since you are getting a custom 30-30 barrel made, you could consider having a muzzle brake included, if you haven't done so already. Brakes make rifle-caliber handguns much more enjoyable to shoot, but there is a downside with increased muzzle blast. I wear electronic earmuffs while hunting to preserve what hearing I have left.