Thinking about handgun hunting...with rifle cartridge

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I
Yes and some light polishing. Bellm has some pretty good instruction sheets with pictures to help and there is probably a youtube video on it somewhere. Only thing is, if you were to ever send it to TC/S&W for warranty work, they put the factory springs back in, ask me how I know..

Rosewood
In regards to the Bellm kit. I did not get the written instructions with the kit. I just got a small bag with parts (springs). I later saw that I could have bought a binder / instructions. I wish that I had gotten the written instruction booklet. I did find several you-tubes that discussed the topic. Above I posted the one that helped me the most.

One kit offers a little plastic pin that helps in reinstalling the most difficult parts. I used a broken toothpick and it worked fine for me, it was much simplified once I implemented the technique.

Actually once I used the toothpick it was quite simple.

rosewood

I
In regards to the Bellm kit. I did not get the written instructions with the kit. I just got a small bag with parts (springs). I later saw that I could have bought a binder / instructions. I wish that I had gotten the written instruction booklet. I did find several you-tubes that discussed the topic. Above I posted the one that helped me the most.

One kit offers a little plastic pin that helps in reinstalling the most difficult parts. I used a broken toothpick and it worked fine for me, it was much simplified once I implemented the technique.

Actually once I used the toothpick it was quite simple.
Now that I think about it, I downloaded the instructions and printed them out.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
My Encore has a mushy trigger. I'm sure that kit will help but I don't have the pro hunter. Just the regular original Encore. Will that kit work on my unit?
If it does I could see getting a pistol barrel and grip for it.

rosewood

My Encore has a mushy trigger. I'm sure that kit will help but I don't have the pro hunter. Just the regular original Encore. Will that kit work on my unit?
If it does I could see getting a pistol barrel and grip for it.
The internals are the same. The pro-hunter just has the swing hammer which you could install in yours if TC will sell you one. Mine is not a pro-hunter.

GunnSmokeer

Yes I have a 30-30 barrel on the way...

Will it recoil about the same as the .44?

I found that the 44 magnum, 10 inch barrel, using 240 gr. bullets, would recoil slightly more (just enough to notice) compared to the .30-30 barrel shooting 150 grain soft-points.

I'd be very happy hunting deer with the .44 magnum barrel out to whatever distance I could accurately estimate bullet drop and put all my shots in a 6 inch circle.

But the flatter 100+ yd. trajectory of the 30-30 cartridge, even from a ten inch barrel, would probably give me the edge at longer ranges. Especially if I'm not using a rangefinder and don't have a drop table memorized.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Two days ago I shot the 44 magnum about 40 rounds. The recoil is so much easier to handle over the 308. In this regard, I am moving in the right direction to my goal of being able to shoot from an unsupported firing position while in a climber.

I am starting to realize that firing this pistol unsupported is gonna be harder than I thought. I am so glad that I was able to reduce the trigger. That was / is a game changer for me. I am much more capable.

But the magnification is a double edged sword. You can see the target easier, but every little shake is magnified 10x then that of a rifle.

Luckily most of my shots will be somewhat supported by my body, the tree, or rail. But I am not so naive to expect that the game will present the most desired shot. I want to be a competent from any angle of approach.

I am currently using a scout rifle scope (over a traditional pistol scope), it gives me a shorter eye relief and I can bend my elbows more for more support from a climber. It will also reduce movement while positioning for a shot. I have not felt any need to worry about injury from scope to head recoil.

My next question to you guys, is how do you shoot? Where is your support hand? How much bend do you have in your elbows?

I have been experimenting with support hand far forward with thumb wrapped over barrel. Very solid and recoil is minimized.

The other is support hand over scope and either lifting or pushing downward for aiming. It might sound sketchy, but I seem to be hitting fine, but recoil is more intense.

Any tips on shooting are appreciated
7E20C91A-8064-4B5B-90BD-B90A8CF95521.jpeg

rosewood

Lowest power setting is best. I cannot hold them steady enough off hand. I have to rest on something for sure. My primary stand, I built a rail on it and put a narrow platform on the front. I then use my poncho that I keep in my backpack for a shooting rest. Works quite nicely. That same poncho is used for resting rifles and crossbows.

Other thought, if you are shooting at "bow" ranges, maybe go with a red dot over a scope. So much easier to aim.

Rosewood

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Today I decided to take the scope off the pistol and attach an old military Aimpoint that I had (rosewood recommendation). As I was preparing to loosen the scope rings I realized that the forward scope ring was completely loose… which explains why towards the end of my range session my accuracy was failing, and I was kinda frustrated and quit shooting on a low note. I figuared that I was fatigued and my endurance was the problem. That said, I remember thinking I wasn’t tired and was having fun shooting the 240gr factory loads. So realizing that it was most likely equipment issue gave me some relief.

Another lesson learned with the Encore. Check your mounts often. I am now considering the addition of another ring. I think I have room on the back side.

I am learning a lot with this scoped pistol thing.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
While the ring screws are under their maximum torque at the end of the stroke, I like to tap on the back of Allen wrench sharply with a small brass hammer. This helps seat the threads together. I've never used loctite for this application and have never had a problem while shooting calibers such as 30-30, 35rem, and 44mag...

rosewood

I always use loctite on my scope base and torque to proper specs myself. I wouldn't worry about a 3rd ring with a 44 mag. However, on things like 460 S&W and 454, the 3rd ring is helpful. I also verify scope base torque when I purchase a new gun, don't trust whoever mounted them if it wasn't me.

Rosewood

rosewood

I typically develop loads with the scope and using max power at the range for precision, but either hunt on low power or use a red dot for field conditions when I can't hold it steady like at gun range.

Rosewood