Thinking about heading to Richard B. Russell this weekend.

drhunter1

Been a long time since I have been there. Anyone been there recently. Middleton seems to be closest ramp to me. Anyone have any suggestions on what the fish are doing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skeeter XRi

I was there last weekend, but can’t really say what the fish were doing. Had fish on jerkbaits, crank baits, jigs, senko’s, other plastics, and I don’t remember what else. Caught in depths of 3’ to 20’. No pattern, just junk fishing.

If I were going this week I’d probably spend a lot more time on points with top water and moving baits.

YMMV and good luck!
jim

deermaster13

I fish it pretty regularly but for catfish on jugs. Talked to a few guys and they were catching them on points and they were pulling some out of the back of creeks. I put in at Shuck Penn as that's close for me. That lake is full of spots though and I never had a problem catching them when I did bass fish. There's another member on here that fishes it regularly as well. Maybe he will chime in shortly.

Burton

We have a tournament there on Saturday out of Shuck Pen. I think there will be another tournament out of 72? Maybe others??

I'm going to practice Friday, I'm assuming the herring spawn is going on and I'm throwing topwater around the points.

drhunter1

Thanks all. I’ll be by myself and I just got my first boat so I’m pretty skittish about stumps and rocks, if you’ve fished Oconee near the dam you probably know why.

I can’t remember if Richard B is like that or not. Seems to me I remember it being pretty clean but my memory may be failing me.

I’m also just getting the hang of it so that makes me skittish as well.

Burton

Thanks all. I’ll be by myself and I just got my first boat so I’m pretty skittish about stumps and rocks, if you’ve fished Oconee near the dam you probably know why.

I can’t remember if Richard B is like that or not. Seems to me I remember it being pretty clean but my memory may be failing me.

The dangerous areas are marked pretty well. Most of the lake is clean and easy though. Check out the Navionics Web app in the area you plan on fishing.

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313

I truly understand your think'n.

drhunter1

I truly understand your think'n.
That boat gets blown in the wind a bit. It took me three tries last weekend of backing up and trying to line it up
to get it on the trailer last weekend. I bet the guys on the shore were goin “look at that googan”.

:bounce:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
That boat gets blown in the wind a bit. It took me three tries last weekend of backing up and trying to line it up
to get it on the trailer last weekend. I bet the guys on the shore were goin “look at that googan”.

BTDT!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.

Did you get a pontoon boat that is being blown by the wind?
In any case, sometimes with a stiff wind or current, it helps to approach the back of the trailer from downwind or down current and turn into the trailer at the last moment. Of course , you need to know exactly how tight your boat will turn, But as a rule it will turn sharper going in to the wind or current than it will going down wind or down current.
Welcome to the world of boating!
My trailer blew a hub on the way down to a week on the gulf. It's sitting in Thomasville while I'm boatless. Judging by how hard it was to get a replacement hub and extra bearings for the other hubs, I may as well go home and come back when the boat is ready to roll.
Yay.

littlejon

I was thinking of going myself. Its been 30 years since I fished it. Dang, time goes by. Did well when I was there back then. I hope it has not changed much. Not a house to be seen by water. Good population of LM. Which that probably has changed. Not too crowded either.

drhunter1

Did you get a pontoon boat that is being blown by the wind?
In any case, sometimes with a stiff wind or current, it helps to approach the back of the trailer from downwind or down current and turn into the trailer at the last moment. Of course , you need to know exactly how tight your boat will turn, But as a rule it will turn sharper going in to the wind or current than it will going down wind or down current.
Welcome to the world of boating!
My trailer blew a hub on the way down to a week on the gulf. It's sitting in Thomasville while I'm boatless. Judging by how hard it was to get a replacement hub and extra bearings for the other hubs, I may as well go home and come back when the boat is ready to roll.
Yay.
Nope. Got a Bass Tracker. Sucker moves in the wind. Sorry to hear about the trailer. Another thing we got to focus on. It seems like there’s always something.