This is the non-political forum, right?

wharfrat

just making sure this is the friendly, how to, fishing reports, etc, forum and the saltwater will be for more politically based stuff.

seaweaver

soooooooooo
de stuff.....dat effects the Ga coast.....which is where our progressive pal Sud....who works at the Georgia CRD...should be discussed away....from the ga coastal thread.....

got it....

and I was just over at the political threads commenting on women who pride themselves in knowing nothing about politics.....

cw

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
No problem discussing the Politics of Georgia Coastal Fisheries. Just as long as folks are respectful and leave the rancor and personal stuff at the door. If not,this forum can go away as easily as it came.It would be nice if it was informative and filled with lots of bragging on pics of big red fish,nice fishing rigs,beautiful locations and such. Can we do it? Several PMs I have received this evening say it won't happen and several said thanks. So.... we shall see won't we?

Capt. Richie Lott

Very well put... Thanks again, Pay and others who helped arrange it. It would be NICE and WILL BE... I, for one will do whatever I can to promote it. This is not a political icon, just a flag saying thank you... :flag:

I will be posting here for fishing reports after today and I am sure the others will, too...

"DOWN WITH POLITICS, UP WITH FISHING... WE GOT TODAY, AND THATS ALL WE GOT" People should read the bible more. Life sure does start to make sense when you get into those pages....

It would be nice if it was informative and filled with lots of bragging on pics of big red fish,nice fishing rigs,beautiful locations and such. Can we do it? Several PMs I have received this evening say it won't happen and several said thanks. So.... we shall see won't we?

crackerdave

Very well put... Thanks again, Pay and others who helped arrange it. It would be NICE and WILL BE... I, for one will do whatever I can to promote it. This is not a political icon, just a flag saying thank you... :flag:

I will be posting here for fishing reports after today and I am sure the others will, too...

"DOWN WITH POLITICS, UP WITH FISHING... WE GOT TODAY, AND THATS ALL WE GOT" People should read the bible more. Life sure does start to make sense when you get into those pages....

Great post,Cap'n!:clap:

Capt. Richie Lott

and I was just over at the political threads commenting on women who pride themselves in knowing nothing about politics.....

cw

Chris, God love ya man.. You had to leave a slow burning fuse for Political discussion... On the Board that has nothing to with the politcal board and especially Womens views on politics.

Georgia Coastal Fishing Board for Women.... I will try to explain my view on this this non-politically and first of all, about 90% of us want to talk about fishing instead of fighting over something that cant be changed.

It doesn't make Women any less smart because they don't know about politics. I think women may be smart by pleading the fifth or not knowing.

IMO, Politics is about who is right and who is wrong... and MOST IMPORTANTLY, who wins the vote. The answer is never right no matter what the outcome. Half may like it, the other half probably wont.... We still live and breathe, every day... And for that, we should all be thankful. There is ONE to thank for that and the rest of it? Well... It really dont even matter.

You really find out who the Political "followers" are in the end... It'll be the ones voted against and out-numbered. But.... Strangely.... they're still hollerin' about it, never gonna do anything about it but create friction, but yet they still scream for someone to listen to them. The leaders? Well, they work the proper angles without slams, havoc, backdoor deals and the like. They tend to be liked by the majority of the people and they work the proper channels, stay in their corner, work quietly and sleep well at night.. I should have that published! :cheers:

Live Life, go Fishin!! ;) Enjoy the new forum! :love:

seaweaver

Ritche some some showed you how to tie a Blood knot right? You did not walk into a voting booth and discover it. Someone showed you, made you aware, showed you what it was good for, what it was not.
It was not (knot) stumbled upon in blithe ignorance. Someone showed you, and you practiced it till you understood it. You did not wake up happy to breathe a new day and say I'm so glad all my lines are rigged for me.
You were shown. Understanding the politics of fishing regulation is same. The hard part is determining what each policy is good for and what it's not... and what effect it has on your remaining freedoms. That's where the showing part comes into to play.

The internet is for spreading/sharing information. Some of it is right and some is incorrect. Shutting out discussion or willfully ignoring regulatory subject matter that pertains to to a particular interest does not help that interest.
"we like fly fishing on this stream, and a political hack wants to dam it up but we are not going to talk about that...just breathing and and wondering, "who ties these nice tight knots in our lines every night?"

Who wins the vote does not make them right. Much of what is dictated at us is done by bureaucrats...they are not elected. They have their interests. To believe they always do is a fallacy. To believe we cannot effect their plans is fatuous. The Bob Segers's "Feel like a Number" mentality, I reject it. A small number of informed people can make a huge difference in highlighting flaws in a majorities proposed designs. Look at the Redfish Gamefish plan.

On the Board that has nothing to with the politcal board and especially Womens views on politics.

I think that went right over ...... There are women out there (and men )who pride themselves...in "rising above it all" by maintaining political ignorance. Ie....there are Fishermen who "rise above it all....."
and(insert smurf music) skip to the dock everyday....and hope the granny knot will hold.
or
skip to the dock every day...and hope they are still allowed to fish.

The only reason we have the freedoms we still have is because some people refuse to go to sleep. They watch the politicians, they watch the bureaucrats.
They are the one who put two lanterns in the church tower.
The internet simply saves night time horse rides and is far more effective. But only if the information is placed where it will be seen by affected parties.

cw

Capt. Richie Lott

Fair Enough, Chris... We look forward to your posts, man.

Ritche some some showed you how to tie a Blood knot right? You did not walk into a voting booth and discover it. Someone showed you, made you aware, showed you what it was good for, what it was not.
It was not (knot) stumbled upon in blithe ignorance. Someone showed you, and you practiced it till you understood it. You did not wake up happy to breathe a new day and say I'm so glad all my lines are rigged for me.
You were shown. Understanding the politics of fishing regulation is same. The hard part is determining what each policy is good for and what it's not... and what effect it has on your remaining freedoms. That's where the showing part comes into to play.

The internet is for spreading/sharing information. Some of it is right and some is incorrect. Shutting out discussion or willfully ignoring regulatory subject matter that pertains to to a particular interest does not help that interest.
"we like fly fishing on this stream, and a political hack wants to dam it up but we are not going to talk about that...just breathing and and wondering, "who ties these nice tight knots in our lines every night?"

Who wins the vote does not make them right. Much of what is dictated at us is done by bureaucrats...they are not elected. They have their interests. To believe they always do is a fallacy. To believe we cannot effect their plans is fatuous. The Bob Segers's "Feel like a Number" mentality, I reject it. A small number of informed people can make a huge difference in highlighting flaws in a majorities proposed designs. Look at the Redfish Gamefish plan.

On the Board that has nothing to with the politcal board and especially Womens views on politics.

I think that went right over ...... There are women out there (and men )who pride themselves...in "rising above it all" by maintaining political ignorance. Ie....there are Fishermen who "rise above it all....."
and(insert smurf music) skip to the dock everyday....and hope the granny knot will hold.
or
skip to the dock every day...and hope they are still allowed to fish.

The only reason we have the freedoms we still have is because some people refuse to go to sleep. They watch the politicians, they watch the bureaucrats.
They are the one who put two lanterns in the church tower.
The internet simply saves night time horse rides and is far more effective. But only if the information is placed where it will be seen by affected parties.

cw

jamrens

Banned
Please don't turn this into a peeing match in the first 24 hrs.

Capt. Richie Lott

It's not, Whit. I think Chris was just trying to be nice this morning.

I was simply stating: LETS TALK FISHING! I am ready..... I may start taking callers VIA a live video stream so everyone can watch it on here... Whatever it takes, the fish are biting, we're livin', so lets just go fishin!!!

Remember......

GB Young

opinions

I, FOR ONE, AND PROBABLY NOT THE ONLY ONE, WOULD ENJOY PEOPLES OPINION ON WHATS BITING, WHERE THEY ARE BITING AND DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES. I ALMOST NEVER WRITE ON THESE FORUMS, BUT LOVE TO READ POSTS BY CAPT. RITCHIE AND OTHERS. I LIVED AND COMMERCIAL FISHED IN SAVANNAH FOR 2 YEARS AND DON'TGET THERE AS OFTEN AS I LIKE. ITS NICE TO FEEL CONNECTED THROUGH THESE POSTS. I BELIEVE PEOPLE WANT TO BE INFORMED, JUST DON'T FEEL THE NEED TO HAVE PEOPLE ON PINS AND NEEDLES, READY TO JUMP ON POLITICS. JUST MY OPINION, BUT I WOULD BET ALOT OF OTHERS THAT DON'T POST OFTEN AGREE. GREG:flag:

Capt. Richie Lott

I BELIEVE PEOPLE WANT TO BE INFORMED, JUST DON'T FEEL THE NEED TO HAVE PEOPLE ON PINS AND NEEDLES, READY TO JUMP ON POLITICS. JUST MY OPINION, BUT I WOULD BET ALOT OF OTHERS THAT DON'T POST OFTEN AGREE. GREG:flag:

I hope we'll change that using this forum... Everyone would like to hear whats happening, but I am pretty sure about 90% of people don't feel like arguing about it.... And like you said, they sure aren't going to post anything about it.

I hope to see you post and please let me know if I can help you with anything or if you need a report around SSI.

GB Young

Thanks cap'n, i hope to be fishing the charles, forest and ogechee weekend next. Hopefully something will bite other than gnats. Greg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Please don't turn this into a peeing match in the first 24 hrs.

There are two ways to avoid that.

1. Don't post in the peeing contest threads.

2. Go to your User Control Panel and put the pee'ers on "Ignore". You'll see better days and do better things.;)

Bryannecker

It is a question of Individual versus Collective Rights!

Listed below is a sample of the politics of fishing. Like it or not, we can no longer ignore the political aspects of our sport, our passion and our calling. In a perfect world, we could all fish to our heart's content and not worry about the politics of the matter. That is true in our lives as
Americans today in every aspect of that, Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness." So, we must temper our passion for the fishing arts with a little discussion and debate of the merits of our regulations and regulators now and then!

March 3, 2010: South Atlantic Fishery Management Council Meeting at Jekyll Island, GA

The setting was the grand old hotel known as the Jekyll Island Club Hotel along millionaire's row.
The weather was cool and brisk as an assemblage of fishermen lounged on the veranda outside of the grand ball room, while waiting for the public input session to commence.

A swarthy band of fishermen lamented the unfairness of the closures for offshore fishing and their own economic fate. The economic consequences were discussed in light of a banner year for snapper and grouper prior to the current four- statewide closure. The presence of governmental type personages were noted by the fishing public, but that very public was more or less ignored by that assemblage of governmental bureaucrats. The five-thirty hour for comments with questions and answers was approaching and more folks wandered into the outer areas of the grand ballroom.

Then, the final session of the day's agenda was over so that more chairs could be added to the meeting room to accommodate the expanding crowd. That final session dealt with snapper and grouper with viewing by the public but no questions or comments from them.

I sat in on that discussion and noticed that the topics ranged from video sampling of the bio-mass to a bench mark collection of bio-mass data this very year. But, that collection data was said to be after the next one-hundred-eighty-day closure, so it could not impact it. Other item and terms bandied about were depth ranges of sampling, sampling time of two years, current statistical sampling methods, fishery dependent and independent sampling, age sampling, methodology versus actual sampling, and development of a long term sampling plan. It was announced that one point five million has been allocated for that new bench mark sample to replace the prior method of sampling. The thrust of all this science-speak was that they hope to update the data and factor that into the decision making process. Tweaking of the process is to be an ongoing process based on those new methods as they impact the validity of the sample.

Then, they mentioned a process of going out on the boat with selected fishermen to conduct deep water sampling, so that an ecosystem based management plan could be instituted base on that and the other sampling efforts. Catch shares was mentioned as the direction of the current director of the National Marine Fisheries Service and, ultimately, the current administration.

It seemed to me that they did, albeit reluctantly, admit that the current data is insufficient for management. What was later raised was the so-called miracle of the gulf with the finding of a huge bio-mass heretofore unseen by the managers at the gulf council. Now, what they did not attribute that miracle to is the political intervention of Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama.

They are acutely aware of the following matters: Political pressure changed their finding of over fishing in the gulf off Alabama. The South Carolina General Assembly just passed a concurrent resolution in opposition to Amendment 17A. Suits against them for those amendments are progressing. Enforcement of the closure may be very difficult if not impossible.
A state-by-state approach would just be too complex and complicated for the public to handle.

The moderator of the question and answer session was Dr. Roy Crabtree, NOAA Fisheries Regional Administrator, and Council Chairman, Duane Harris. Both allowed that they have heard the same comments, questions and complaintsover and over at each of the prior sessions.

Listening to all of this and forming an opinion as to the future is at best a difficult proposition, but here goes. I believe that they may be looking for a way out of this mess with a new bench mark assessment. It occurs to me that they may just find another miracle bio-mass of snapper in the Atlantic, which could mean that over fishing is ended or at a manageable level. They alluded to this as a possible reason to open the fishery for us and may even drop length requirements altogether. Is this all posturing to save face? At this juncture, I do not know.

Dr. Crabtree expressed a fervent desire to open the fishery to us as soon as it is rebuilt to the point that they can without further damage. Again, I am not sure if this is just political posturing or not. I do think that attending these sessions is a major bore, but we must know our adversaries to gage what they are up to and to respond..

Another observation of mine is that far more commercial fishermen and charter captains were in attendance than those of us who are recreational fishermen. Stay tuned for additional updates.

Captain,
Jimmy :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:
They that go down to the sea in ships…see the works of the Lord, and His wonders of the deep.
Psalm 107:23-24 KJV

P.S.
My stories are at: www.saltwaternecker.com