This weekend

IanOnTheDry

Hey fellas,

I'm keen to get out on the water this coming weekend and it'd be great to hook-up with anyone heading north to the mountains for some trout.
I recently moved from NY to Athens and would love to learn a little about GA waters. I'd be happy to drive and pay for gas in exchange for company.
Ideally would like to run up with one or two people that know the waters, but would still be willing to drive someone up there who is just interested in exploring.

If you'd like to contact directly you can use my email address - iwhite@uga.edu

Cheers,
Ian

bonedog

I'd love to help you out but I'm gonna stay off public waters this weekend. I have a feeling that it will be thick with folks in most places. I'm sure there are some here with some hike-in spots that might be worthwhile. Good luck,
bd

tah1982

I might head to helen very early saturday morning to try and beat the crowd. Have only been up there once so don't too much about it. Send me a pm if still interested

iFish

Heading to Smithgall early Sat. morning. Unfortunately, you gotta have a reservation there. Otherwise, you could tag a long. You may want to check it out. This will be my first outing there so don't yet know what to expect or any other info to pass along. Trophy size is what I've heard. Hopefully, I'll hook me one of those.

fishnpreacher

Heading to Smithgall early Sat. morning. Unfortunately, you gotta have a reservation there. Otherwise, you could tag a long. You may want to check it out. This will be my first outing there so don't yet know what to expect or any other info to pass along. Trophy size is what I've heard. Hopefully, I'll hook me one of those.

Just be sure you understand "barbless" flies only in your possession. Barbed flies are a no-no. You can mash the barbs down, but you've got to be able to push the hook through a piece of t-shirt material and pull it out without snagging on the barb.
Good Luck on Dukes.....

iFish

Thanks for mentioning it. I was already aware of the barbless hook requirement. I went to Fish Hawk yesterday at lunch, pick up a few I'm going to use and sat down last night with my needle nose and spent time with each and every one to smash the barbs down. I'm considering making barbless hooks standard practice as I figure it gives the fish, once hooked, a better chance and insures I'm paying attention during the insuing battle.

iFish

Smithgall was great. Started at lower section 3 (Shackleford) and got out at the upper end. Caught 3, and biggest was only 7" or so but it was well worth the trip. Haven't been on a nicer stretch of water in a long time.