This year is my first bowhunting season, what was your first bowhunting season like? What mistakes should I avoid??

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Y'all are are really making me remember things.

1) if the deer has spotted you its too late. Just enjoy looking at them.

2) used to shoot PSE Carroll Intruder at 80 lbs. Realized in 2008 its a lot easier to pull back 60 in really cold weather. So when I started hunting up North I bought a Bowtech General 60 lbs. and still use it today.

3) safety belts are your friend. Use them.

4) Don't give up on a deer u hit. I've seen them do crazy stuff...like backtracking on their own blood trail...Jumping off 40 ft cliffs...and crawling into briars so thick you need brush cutters to get them out.

5) A lot of folks say find the best buck and hunt it. That might work on lightly hunted tracts. But I don't have that luxury. Hunt the buck funnels and several will come to you. Then you get to pick. I shot a 170+ one day I had never seen and that's my best. 5 minutes after I shot him a 160 class was standing 5 yards from the tree. Only 1 buck tag so I just watched. Also once saw 6 bucks chasing 1 doe. Shot a nice 120" then.

6) The best secret I have is this: Honor your heavenly Father and He will treat you with wonderful blessings...in the woods and out! He is amazing!

Last edited:

ghadarits

I'll double down on what Sixes said. "
Sixes
Don't let the deer get you tore up. I remember shaking so bad that I could barely draw the bow and sometimes couldn't (but now I am talking about 75 LB+ pull with 50 or less percent let off). The good ol days..

Its amazing that I could probably draw my bow behind my back until a deer any deer walked out when I first started bow hunting. I might as well have been trying to draw back 400lbs and this was a Bear White Tail Two bow with a 45lb draw. Man I used to get shook up!!! I still get excited but haven't deer hunted in a long time.

ghadarits

When you have game in sight, don`t stare at it. Prey has a sixth sense that can detect the gaze of a predator.

I agree with this 100%. If you make eye contact with a deer its not going to forget you're there. I always kept my face down and cut my eyes up to try and avoid making eye contact.

ghadarits

I always practiced with the same broadhead I was hunting with. It cost a little bit up front but I knew what to expect from my arrow flight when I released an arrow. Another thing I did to really improve my shooting was buy some Judo points and I would shoot squirrels before I got down in the morning. That probably did more to improve my shooting than any target practice ever did. I'm not saying not to shoot targets but targets arent the same as shooting at live game.

I first started when I was 16 about 2003. Was 3-4 years before I really learned how to bow hunt and actually got my first deer, missed several before hitting my first one. Stay calm and your first harvested deer will be quite a moment. Good luck!!

LETMGRO

Always draw your bow back when you first get into the stand aiming towards potential shooting areas. I’ve had my bow hit limbs above me that I thought were out of the way. I’ve also found issues with my bow - like a small stick in the cam I picked up walking in, I’ve had my release strap Velcro make noise,etc. the main thing is it gets you accustomed to drawing back in a stand and stretches muscles too! All previous reply’s are good info also.
THIS ^^^^
After ensuring you have limb clearance...and elbow clearance at full draw, make sure you re-noc your arrow. Letting down on the bow will often shift the noc on the string so that it’s not firmly seated on the string. If it’s not firmly seated on the string, bad things can happen on the shot.

Twiggbuster

Keep up , as best you can, with more deer entering the scene.
I had to let a doe that had walked in second and got suspicious , kinda settle in on Saturday morning. Payed off as I was able to draw and get the kill shot on a bigger doe that came in first.
Other deer have busted me before. Many times before.

c3chaos

i created an acronym DACCS when i was practicing. Said it out loud for a while. Now when i'm in the stand hunting and a deer approaches i remember. Draw, Anchor, Center (peep/housing) Concentrate (pick a spot), and Squeeze. Sounds minor league but not only does it work with the whole muscle memory of shooting, it keeps you calm and "robotic". I've taught Marines how to deal with pressure situations and coming up with a system really helps. Especially when those horns are the only thing you want to look at. Try it and Good luck.

dfurdennis

I've been consistently shooting my bow since before gun season last year and I've sat in the stand twice so far this season. I was thinking about everything I've learned and worked on prior to hunting. I know I've missed something important or overlooked an issue somewhere. I'm just curious to hear from experienced bowhunters on what their first season was like and any mistakes I may be able to avoid.
Guessing yardage...I set my stand up and using a rangefinder hit some trees that really stand out so I'm not trying to guess when a deer rolls in...lost many arrows my first bow season.

Trail Boss

Stand placement is one of the most important details in bow hunting. You must be down wind of approaching deer whenever possible. Scent control is also most important while bow hunting, you are not shooting a deer at 200 yds., you are close and personal. You will hear them crunching acorns, stepping on a twig, hooves stepping across a stream, I cannot stress scent control enough. Never wear your hunting clothes to the restaurant, never fuel your truck or your generator back at camp, only wear your hunting clothes when you are actually hunting and then take them off and air them out immediately when you get back to camp. DO NOT SMOKE !!
Clear shooting lanes so when a deer walks through a certain spot, you have a clear shot, the smallest twig can cause your arrow to deflect into oblivion ending up nowhere near your intended target. When you get into your stand, range certain points where you expect the deer to appear so you do not have to range them once they appear, less movement. A lot of guys have told you to stay calm , good luck with that. I have shook so bad at times before and after shooting a deer that I had to sit down and even get down out of the tree to calm myself.
And one of the most important things you need to do is, after you do shot a deer, wait a minimum of 30 minutes on a good shot to track that deer. If you jump him out of his bed after being shot you may never see him again. Give em time. If the shot is questionable, give him hours, 3 hours.
Good luck, nothing better than bow hunting.

splatek

UAEC
I am really new. I bowhunted last season and I am bowhunting this season. That's it, two seasons, so take whatever mistakes I suggest with a grain of salt.

First, I would say - the don't stare thing, is, or was real, for me. I had a very mature 16 point on public get really close. But he was with a large 8, as well. I had buck fever so bad, SO. Bad! I was looking that 8 right in the eyes. By the time he got to 12 yards, facing me the whole time, he didn't like what he saw, maybe my blinking, maybe just the way I look (wouldn't be the first time something ran from the way I look!) Then @Mr Bya Lungshot told me about the eyes in the front = predator idea and the lightbulb went off. Now, when deer are coming in and looking my way, I slowly close my eyes to about 1/2-3/4 closed or completely closed.

Second, poundage. I am 210-215 and reasonably strong. Yanking back a 70# compound with 70-80% let-off --- all day. A 55# recurve feels like it's going to break me, LOL. I have a buddy that ordered this fancy new compound, some $1000 rig and he has it torqued out to 70# which is the max for that bow. When he's taking practice shots, He'll say things like "look how fast that thing is!" When all I can see is the fact that he has to point the bow to the heavens to begin the draw back sequence and think to myself, how in the world do you think you are going to get away with that drawback with a big ol buck in front of you, heart pounding, and from a seated position? But I use my better judgement and keep quiet. He's an experienced hunter. I am new.

Third, and this might sound bad, but get used to killing deer. We are fortunate in Georgia to have a 12 deer limit. Shoot a few does. They make great eating and they get you a few bow kills under your belt. I remember how much more calm I was on my second ever deer kill, after I had killed a doe. That first doe had my heart bumping like I was jumping out of a plane!

That's all I got and again, total newb here so grain of salt.
Bowhunting is really fun. I have never gun hunted. The fact that you have to get close in bowhunting makes it all that much more fun for me. I have watched several deer (and now bear) partly because they were out of bow range, but also because I wanted to learn how they move and like someone else said see what you can get away with.
Good luck and have fun.

PS: standing in the tree stand - get a tree stand harness or a rock climbing harness off Amazon and a climbing grade tether. Keep it tight so that you get the leverage. I find I actually shoot better like that, because it almost forces good form.

ddd-shooter

I am really new. I bowhunted last season and I am bowhunting this season. That's it, two seasons, so take whatever mistakes I suggest with a grain of salt.

First, I would say - the don't stare thing, is, or was real, for me. I had a very mature 16 point on public get really close. But he was with a large 8, as well. I had buck fever so bad, SO. Bad! I was looking that 8 right in the eyes. By the time he got to 12 yards, facing me the whole time, he didn't like what he saw, maybe my blinking, maybe just the way I look (wouldn't be the first time something ran from the way I look!) Then @Mr Bya Lungshot told me about the eyes in the front = predator idea and the lightbulb went off. Now, when deer are coming in and looking my way, I slowly close my eyes to about 1/2-3/4 closed or completely closed.

Second, poundage. I am 210-215 and reasonably strong. Yanking back a 70# compound with 70-80% let-off --- all day. A 55# recurve feels like it's going to break me, LOL. I have a buddy that ordered this fancy new compound, some $1000 rig and he has it torqued out to 70# which is the max for that bow. When he's taking practice shots, He'll say things like "look how fast that thing is!" When all I can see is the fact that he has to point the bow to the heavens to begin the draw back sequence and think to myself, how in the world do you think you are going to get away with that drawback with a big ol buck in front of you, heart pounding, and from a seated position? But I use my better judgement and keep quiet. He's an experienced hunter. I am new.

Third, and this might sound bad, but get used to killing deer. We are fortunate in Georgia to have a 12 deer limit. Shoot a few does. They make great eating and they get you a few bow kills under your belt. I remember how much more calm I was on my second ever deer kill, after I had killed a doe. That first doe had my heart bumping like I was jumping out of a plane!

That's all I got and again, total newb here so grain of salt.
Bowhunting is really fun. I have never gun hunted. The fact that you have to get close in bowhunting makes it all that much more fun for me. I have watched several deer (and now bear) partly because they were out of bow range, but also because I wanted to learn how they move and like someone else said see what you can get away with.
Good luck and have fun.

PS: standing in the tree stand - get a tree stand harness or a rock climbing harness off Amazon and a climbing grade tether. Keep it tight so that you get the leverage. I find I actually shoot better like that, because it almost forces good form.
For the eyes, after I stand up, I put my bow between me and the deer. It's saved me many times-i keep the quiver on, and it's a compound.
Actually I guarantee it helped me kill a mature eight this year, as he was trying to pick me off in my stand. He never got a clear look at my bright face with big eyes and I was able to draw and kill him when he was distracted by another noise. I would imagine a leafy mask or face paint also would help. Remember it doesn't have to be fool proof, you only need a little longer before they spook to give you a shot.
Smooth draw is also key. Good points all.

krizia829

Don't rush your shot or you will either miss or make a bad shot! I've done this a few times and have lost 2 nice bucks already and missed like 3 does.. The feeling sucks but with more practice you will have success. We all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up if you do! Enjoy every sit in the woods and remember to always wear a harness if on a climber!

oldfella1962

Wear a mask or war paint. Deer ain’t seen your face in awhile and anything new gonna spook them. Especially at bow range

agree! I'm not a great hunter by any stretch, but the first couple of years I put on just enough camo face-paint to "break up the outline" of my face. Of course I'd get visually busted on occasion. But when I started taking a few extra minutes to really cover up all of my face & neck I would rarely get busted. I think of all the things that put a deer on high alert, the face of a predator (two eyes facing forward) ranks right up there as #1 or close to it!

Stephen2110

agree! I'm not a great hunter by any stretch, but the first couple of years I put on just enough camo face-paint to "break up the outline" of my face. Of course I'd get visually busted on occasion. But when I started taking a few extra minutes to really cover up all of my face & neck I would rarely get busted. I think of all the things that put a deer on high alert, the face of a predator (two eyes facing forward) ranks right up there as #1 or close to it!
Agreed, I've been using a thin, camo-netting mask religiously the last 2 years. I've seen a huge improvement and have not been busted nearly as much in close range.