Thomas County

Booner89

I've been reading the gon forum for a few years and decided to join last night. I live and hunt here in thomas county I between Susie's and coolidge on 319. I'll give you my hunting report for the last few days. I was laid off about a month ago so I have spent almost every day in the woods. Up until last Thursday 11/20 I hadn't seen any chasing/rutting activity. I did shoot a nice 205 lb 8 pt on 11/15 that came into the rattling horns. I hunt a 200 acre lease alone except for when a friend or family wants to join. On Saturday 11/22 I had a 4 pt run a group of 4-5 does right to the base of my stand where one of the doe urinated. The 4 pt came to the spot she urinated and smelled and the does went one way and he went the other which tells me that they weren't ready. Sunday 11/23 saw a group of 3 does mama and two yearlings. Monday 11/24 did not hunt. Tuesday 11/25 best afternoon all season w/o shooting. Walked to stand at 4. Doe standing in lane I walk down she trots off I proceed to stand. At 4:15 had the same group of 3 does come in then walk on through. At 4:45 same small 4 pt came hurrying on their trail with nose to ground. At 5:15 had another group of 2 older does come into my back right and slowly make their way down to the food plot and they look to the back and another group of 4-5 does come in from the back of the plot. By this time it was getting around 545 low light. The 3 older does were all running each other around including standing on their back legs swinging at each other with their front legs. I sat in the stand until 645 last night because there was deer ALL over the place including some BIG body deer chasing other deer around in the food plot. Finally I managed to get all my things packed up and snuck down the stand and came out through the briar patch to keep from spooking the deer to bad. All of this came yesterday during all the rain. The rut has to be about to bust wide open either today or the next 1-3 days. I hope this helps anyone that reads this.

R and D

Passed on 130" 3yo this am, he was cruising thru, checked out does in front of me then moved on. Starting to see a few yearlings by themselfs, won't be long before good ones are moving.

southGAlefty

Watched a spike bump 3 does off a food plot this afternoon. Big one killed across road from us too at 4:15. Not convinced it's full blown in Grady yet but it's definitely starting.

noah3d

My dad saw a good bit of activity last Saturday. He saw seven that morning. On the night of the 25th and morning of the 26th we had a groupof four does in front of the camera off and on. No bucks ever came cruising through. I don't think it is too far from where Booner is talking about.

noah3d

That is one mighty fine deer. It seems like you have yourself a honey hole.

Booner89

It has been slow for me these last 4 or 5 days. I didn't see a deer until yesterday afternoon and I only saw a single doe right at dark. Hoping it picks back up soon. Have been getting pictures of bucks cruising from 9 pm until 5 am every night. Anyone else having any luck?

shaynepaul708

Sightings have been dropping in my usual spots even with perfect enter and exit strategy and good winds still not seeing many as I was so I'm giving those spots a break hitting some new spots

Booner89

Been pretty dead over the last week or so. Sunday afternoon had a good 2 1/2 yr old 8 point come in on a string to a grunt call. But other than that i haven't seen much of anything. Gonna check the cameras this afternoon and I'll let ya know.

Booner89

Been pretty slow for me here in thomas county these last two weeks. Every picture except a handful have been at night. Anyone else having any luck?

jimbar

We hunted western Thomas County Dec 13, 14, and 15 and saw decent movement. This past weekend we only hunted Saturday morning and saw nothing. Couple of daytime pics though.

ACracing98

Hunting south of Tville, we saw 4 deer b4 7:30....one was a 10 point....no shot!

Hit-n-Miss

My son shot a nice buck pushing does Christmas day afternoon. The rut is 3-4 weeks late. His tarsals were black and stinking.

joedublin

Hey, Paul, when are they gonna get started around Whigham ? I'm sittin' here just waitin' on the signal to go !

noah3d

I have a couple of pictures of a gigantic buck that was killed in Thomas County right after Christmas. A guy I go to school with killed it. Deer looks to have at least 15 points. Has two huge drop tines as well. Has anyone else heard of this deer?