Thompson Center Encore

strothershwacker

Got one with a 45-70 barrel on it. Looking at swapping to a different caliber. I know nothing bout these guns. Is it as simple as popping one off and another 1 on? What else do you have to change? Is there anywhere you can find other Encore owners who may want to trade barrels or parts? Just recently picked it up and trying to decide which direction to go with it.

Buckman18

Ive got one and have the .50 cal ML and a 300 win mag barrel. 2 screws (flathead), 1 pin, and thats it. It literally takes more time to undo the sling. Its a cool setup, but it is way overpriced.

Yes, as already mentioned, it's very simple. Scope stays with barrel and when the barrel is remounted it should still be zeroed correctly (at least mine did).

I had an Encore with barrels in 25/06 and .35 Whelen pretty much covering all big game you can hunt in the U.S. I had virtually the same scope on both too, so practicing with one was just like shooting the other.

Both my barrels were 24" and I liked that length.

Buckman18

@strothershwacker, make double sure you loc-tite the threads on the rail. The first year I hunted with mine, I missed a chip shot at a very good buck. Went back to camp, no consistency at all from the bench. Thought scope was bad, then noticed it shifted when I touched it. Cheap insurance.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
@strothershwacker, make double sure you loc-tite the threads on the rail. The first year I hunted with mine, I missed a chip shot at a very good buck. Went back to camp, no consistency at all from the bench. Thought scope was bad, then noticed it shifted when I touched it. Cheap insurance.
Dont use loc tight its cheap insurance you’ll never be able to get those screws out with out stripping or breaking them but do tighten down your screws properly. Loc tight is stupid stuff.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yes a great interchangeable platform.
Get a muzzle loader barrel and whatever else you can afford.

SC Hunter

I've got one with a 243, 7mm-08 and just ordered a 22-250 barrel. I love mine and it is my main hunting rifle. Just take the forearm off and push the pin out and change the barrel.

Lilly001

I've got two frames. One is the old regular style and one is the newer style with the off setable hammer.
I have one 7 mm mag barrel (26") a .50 mld and a 12 ga turkey barrel.
The 7 mm mag with a thumb hole "flextec" stock is my go to deer gun.
It is short enough to be stand handy and hits hard. The stock makes it mild shooting.
EABrown has a ton of barrels and other stuff.

Lilly001

I would get the pistol frame if I were buying new.
That way you can convert it to a pistol or rifle.
If you buy it new as a rifle the good old boys at BATF say you can't make it a pistol.

Lilly001

Dont use loc tight its cheap insurance you’ll never be able to get those screws out with out stripping or breaking them but do tighten down your screws properly. Loc tight is stupid stuff.
I use the blue "temporary" thread lock and I've not had any problem with dissasembly. Don't use the red stuff.

Lilly001

You can even get an adapter to make it a rimfire.
I don't know why you would, but you can.

Buckman18

This is not correct if you buy the correct version. Also, heat will help loosen it up.

Theres only one way to correctly tighten screws, but you better not overdo it or youll strip the threads. :ROFLMAO:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I dont wanna use heat until I pull the trigger. I want it to come loose to clean it properly not loc tite and forget it.
I save loc tite for the screws thst wont stay tight not for insurance.facepalm:
I might have a screw loose right now!:biggestshoot:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I use the blue "temporary" thread lock and I've not had any problem with dissasembly. Don't use the red stuff.
I built myself a few seadoo motors that run 8000 extended rpm’s.
The book said use blue and red loc-tite.
I followed the book to the T except loc-tite. If my sea-doos doesn’t need loc-tite then none of my guns or anything doo’s
I turn loc-tited guns down sometimes especially if not allowed to check the base screws before buying.
HATE RED LOC-TITE. Blue too!
Nah blues ok

Lilly001

I built myself a few seadoo motors that run 8000 extended rpm’s.
The book said use blue and red loc-tite.
I followed the book to the T except loc-tite. If my sea-doos doesn’t need loc-tite then none of my guns or anything doo’s
I turn loc-tited guns down sometimes especially if not allowed to check the base screws before buying.
HATE RED LOC-TITE. Blue too!
Nah blues ok
Yes, red is like welding it on.
But I've used blue forever and some mounting screws come with blue already on them.
I guess if you torque them correctly you can do without but I use blue as insurance.

rosewood

Got one with a 45-70 barrel on it. Looking at swapping to a different caliber. I know nothing bout these guns. Is it as simple as popping one off and another 1 on? What else do you have to change? Is there anywhere you can find other Encore owners who may want to trade barrels or parts? Just recently picked it up and trying to decide which direction to go with it.

You can swap any rifle barrel on it by merely removing the forearm, pushing out the pin and reversing the process with the new barrel. Someone mentioned encoreclassifieds, but it is dying, nowhere near the traffic it was a few years back. You will have better luck with the classified section of graybeard outdoors (go2gbo.com). If you get a black powder barrel, you have to have a specific forearm for it, but the butt stocks are all interchangeable.

On occasion, you can find barrels for sale on theoutdoorstrader.com.

I really enjoy shooting it with the pistol length barrels, but as someone said, in theory, if you buy it as a rifle, you can't make it a pistol, but as a pistol, you can use either barrels. But, never put a <16" barrel on it with a butt stock installed at the same time.

Rosewood

rosewood

Always use blue locktite on all scope bases I mount. Can't recall ever having an issue getting one off or stripping a screw. Using the proper fitting screw driver also helps.

Rosewood

ScottA

I have an Encore with the Katahdin 50 call ML barrel. Love it. Trying to decide what my next barrel will be. As for the Loctite, use the blue for scopes and bases. Also always use a torque screwdriver (in/lbs). Most people over tighten the ring screws.