Thought on new Hunting Rifle

snooker1

Posting this for a buddy of mine who is on the fence about what caliber to get for a new hunting rifle. He hunts in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, he says none of his shots will be over 100 yards and he is leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor. I voted for a 30-30 but I think he has got his heart set on the 6.5 creedmoor. Anyone who has used this caliber for hunting what are your thoughts?

coastalredneck

I personally think its a fad like the WSSM stuff Winchester kicked out years ago. to each his own though. I actually own an ABolt in 25wssm.. can not find ammo so I have to stock pile when Winchester makes a run..

280 Man

Banned
Posting this for a buddy of mine who is on the fence about what caliber to get for a new hunting rifle. He hunts in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, he says none of his shots will be over 100 yards and he is leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor. I voted for a 30-30 but I think he has got his heart set on the 6.5 creedmoor. Anyone who has used this caliber for hunting what are your thoughts?

If he has his mind made up then there's no use in suggesting anything else! But personally I would buy a 7-08. Oh yea, i did cause my shots are the same!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
If he wants powerful rifle that will be used within 100 yards? Maybe think about a .450 Bushmaster. I wanted a brush rifle (120 yards max) and after a lot of research I decided on a compact 16” .450BM. It has been great. If you want budget .450 look at Ruger American, if you want high end look at Scout.

I agree with others, if he has his mind on 6.5 then he likely go with that, but for close in killing, I don’t think it makes sense? If he wants a bottleneck then 7mm-08 or .308 is an efficient rifle and if you want a pretty rifle then the M70 would be my choice in either of those cartridges.

shdw633

If he wants powerful rifle that will be used within 100 yards? Maybe think about a .450 Bushmaster. I wanted a brush rifle (120 yards max) and after a lot of research I decided on a compact 16” .450BM. It has been great. If you want budget .450 look at Ruger American, if you want high end look at Scout.

I agree with others, if he has his mind on 6.5 then he likely go with that, but for close in killing, I don’t think it makes sense? If he wants a bottleneck then 7mm-08 or .308 is an efficient rifle and if you want a pretty rifle then the M70 would be my choice in either of those cartridges.

I have a Ruger Bushmaster 450 and LOVE IT!! Perfect gun for what the OP described but it's hard to get people onboard with it. Short, light and powerful, it will definitely reach out there and touch whatever you are looking at through the scope. Bought it for Michigan hunting but now it's my #1 gun in Georgia when hunting in the woods.

bigblocktransam

6.5 creedmoor was design to punch holes in paper at 800+ yards. Really any round don’t matter that much. I’ve seen 243 drop em and seen em run shot with a 300wm. The 6.5 is overly hyped round. It’s a medium velocity round relying on high BC bullets to accomplish what it does. If high BC means it slips through air easily, it slips through flesh easily too. There is a few rounds that match or outperforms on paper what a 6.5 creed does inside 500 yards. 260 rem, 6.5x55 Swede 7mm-08.

transfixer

6.5 creedmoor was design to punch holes in paper at 800+ yards. Really any round don’t matter that much. I’ve seen 243 drop em and seen em run shot with a 300wm. The 6.5 is overly hyped round. It’s a medium velocity round relying on high BC bullets to accomplish what it does. If high BC means it slips through air easily, it slips through flesh easily too. There is a few rounds that match or outperforms on paper what a 6.5 creed does inside 500 yards. 260 rem, 6.5x55 Swede 7mm-08.

But its the new " cool " round, and some people have to have what the "in" thing is,

bigblocktransam

But its the new " cool " round, and some people have to have what the "in" thing is,

The upside to that is ammo availability. I bought one, shot a hog with it. It did it’s job, wasn’t wowed by it. I don’t own it anymore. Didn’t sell it because I didn’t like the round. Didn’t care much about the rifle. I am a 25/06 fan though. My max capabilities in any hunting situation would be 300 yards max. And I’d have hard time being confident at that distance. It’s a lot harder to shoot that distance consistently from the field than a lot people think.

bullgator

All of them listed above (and many more) will work on southern deer, especially inside 150-200 yards. An arrow will work out to 60 or so. There is no one right answer, just personal preferences. Heck, there isn’t just 10 right answers. It’s more about confidence and making the shot.