Renamed: Tikka UPR in 6.5 CM… ordered!

Jim Boyd

Tikka UPR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Bench rifle that “might” get used to shoot a deer.

Thoughts, experience or opinions?

I am a Savage guy but my buddy insists I try a Tikka.

He is gonna send me dies, brass etc.

I have a used Arken 56 mm with the 34 mm rings.

Have some Varget and some 120 grain ELD Match.

B2D43167-4F8B-40F1-8417-A46D812526D8.png

Last edited:

HughW2

Once you try Tikka, you will probably not be a Savage guy anymore. Smoother action, bolt throw, better trigger, better ergonomics. I have had several Tikkas and they all shoot great. I do not have experience with the UPR or CTR models but they are designed to be crossover target / hunting rifles. Should be a serious shooter.

SC Hunter

I have a t3 in 22-250 and it's an accurate rifle. I haven't handled a CTR but everybody that tries tikka loves them. I have been looking at a Bergara HMR that has that stock setup with detachable magazine. My Ridge in 6.5 creedmoor is one of the more accurate rifles I own.

I feel like a CTR or HMR with a big Arken would be perfectly at home on a bog deathgrip or a shooting table on a powerline shooting deer and targets way off.

Jim Boyd

I have a t3 in 22-250 and it's an accurate rifle. I haven't handled a CTR but everybody that tries tikka loves them. I have been looking at a Bergara HMR that has that stock setup with detachable magazine. My Ridge in 6.5 creedmoor is one of the more accurate rifles I own.

I feel like a CTR or HMR with a big Arken would be perfectly at home on a bog deathgrip or a shooting table on a powerline shooting deer and targets way off.

We have a powerline and then a long thin food plot that runs for almost 400 yards on our place.

My plan is to build an elevated shooting bench that is built quad style.

Will have 450 yards+ to shoot and when we want to - can shoot deer from the bench.

Thanks !

Dub

Tikka CTR......they ought to charge twice what they do for how good they shoot. Lots of info over at Snipershide. They will hang with high end custom rifles at distance!

True dat.

Some of those cats over on The Hide are shooting some seriously expensive rifles & optics......more than a few competition shooters posting over there.

When I keep hearing them sing the praises of the same gear.....I'll sometimes look it up and read up on it. The various Tikka rifles are frequently recommended....especially to some of the shooters who are getting started and are being careful on where their dollars are being spread around....gun, optic, spotter glass, trigger, bipod, bags, etc. etc.

One of the guys I enjoy reading & listening to ("Everyday Sniper" weekly podcast) is the founder of The Hide, Frank....can't remember his last name. ( @Jester896 has taken a class with him, I believe....sure he'll recall his name)......anyway, Frank speaks highly of the Tikka target models.

Jim Boyd

True dat.

Some of those cats over on The Hide are shooting some seriously expensive rifles & optics......more than a few competition shooters posting over there.

When I keep hearing them sing the praises of the same gear.....I'll sometimes look it up and read up on it. The various Tikka rifles are frequently recommended....especially to some of the shooters who are getting started and are being careful on where their dollars are being spread around....gun, optic, spotter glass, trigger, bipod, bags, etc. etc.

One of the guys I enjoy reading & listening to ("Everyday Sniper" weekly podcast) is the founder of The Hide, Frank....can't remember his last name. ( @Jester896 has taken a class with him, I believe....sure he'll recall his name)......anyway, Frank speaks highly of the Tikka target models.

I think I am in… I cannot shoot worth a crap, let’s see what an old man with a decent tool can do??

TomC

Stick a good "budget" long range optic on it that's proven by competitive shooters. The older Burris XTR II's are built like tanks and the Athlon Ares series are two of your best "starter" bets without breaking the bank on a high end long range scope. Both HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for long range by the die hards over at the HIDE. Lots of better higher priced options but these two have lots of fanboys amongst serious shooters plinking at distance and both priced very low relatively speaking. Good glass aint cheap and these are bargains for what you get.

Jim Boyd

Stick a good "budget" long range optic on it that's proven by competitive shooters. The older Burris XTR II's are built like tanks and the Athlon Ares series are two of your best "starter" bets without breaking the bank on a high end long range scope. Both HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for long range by the die hards over at the HIDE. Lots of better higher priced options but these two have lots of fanboys amongst serious shooters plinking at distance and both priced very low relatively speaking. Good glass aint cheap and these are bargains for what you get.

@TomC

Great heads up - thanks.

I have the glass.

Arken 5-25x56.

Had it on my Grendel - but I hunt with the Grendel and it is not optimum there.

I think it will be optimum in the target environment.

It was not expensive - think it might have been about $600 with an accessory pack they “sort of” give to you.

It is a tank of a scope (@Dub) and I would say that the jury may still be out on Arken.

So far, so good.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It is heavy compared to an NSX. What do you currently have with a good heavy barrel and a suitable stock that stays supersonic past 1K yards?

Jim Boyd

It is heavy compared to an NSX. What do you currently have with a good heavy barrel and a suitable stock that stays supersonic past 1K yards?

If you mean the scope, it is heavy as all get out!

I do not know if anything I have is supersonic at long range, the only thing I might have is a 7-08 and it does not have a heavy barrel.

The 7-08 is in a Boyd’s thumbhole that may or may not be termed as a suitable stock?

What I would like is a good target gun and to learn more as I go!!!!!

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes the Arken is about 8oz heavier than a Nightforce NSX.

7-08 is super at 1K by about 100fps I think.

The heavier the barrel the longer your shot strings can be and also adds to barrel rigidity for better accuracy. Fluted barrels are only as rigid as the narrowest point will allow.

A ggod stock to me would be something with a bedding block, wide forend and more suitable for bag usage.

FlipKing

If you want to stay Savage, FCP-SR. Heavy, wide foregrip, tactical bolt, detachable mag. Heavy barrel. When I bought mine it was less than $600. Sub moa rifle

Jim Boyd

Hey guys!

I have never had a “good” rifle… and just ordered from EuroOptic.

Price was good and the staff was SPOT ON with the help on the phone.

My buddy is sending me Hornady die set and 100 PCs brass.

Will be glad to (maybe) be able to hit something smaller than a barn!

Details and pics to come.

Yippeeee!

Jim Boyd

Looks like folks make fun of yuppies, manbuns and fanboys etc that shoot 6.5 CM.

I cannot grow enough hair for a manbun (had to look that up) - I am just an old man who wants to shoot better.

But, if I have to take some taunting, I will just have to suck it up!

Darkhorse

I don't have a 6.5 Creedmore either but I think I'd like to own one. From what I've read it should be a good caliber for Georgia hunting, low recoil, good ballistics.
Why wouldn't a man, including us older guys, not want a rifle and caliber like that for hunting? Especially in a Tikka rifle. I have one in .308 and like it very much.

Dub

Looks like folks make fun of yuppies, manbuns and fanboys etc that shoot 6.5 CM.

I cannot grow enough hair for a manbun (had to look that up) - I am just an old man who wants to shoot better.

But, if I have to take some taunting, I will just have to suck it up!

You are among friends, sir.

I have zero qualms over the 6.5CM.

What's not to like about it ?

Besides....I'd regrow my mullet if I was gonna have a midlife hairstyle uprising.....or I'd just shave my head again, too. Did that a couple years ago for a while. Too aggravating with the razor work every day or so.

Looking forward to seeing your new smokepole project.

I am a big fan of EuroOptic, too.

Picked up a few red dots from them. Superfast work on their behalf to get the items into your hands.

Last week, for instance....I went to three local gun shops looking for a certain pistol. No luck, but a one of them could possibly get one through their distributor with an unknown delivery date. Buds had it....but their link kept getting squirrely....and I knew they take a week or more to actually ship the gun.

EuroOptic showed it in stock. I called last Thursday and verified it was the version I was looking for....same-same. Bought it.
The NEXT day, last Friday, my FFL called and said the gun had arrived from EuroOptic. THE NEXT DAY.
Went by Saturday morning and picked it up.

EuroOptic doesn't play around and you know you are dealing with professionals when you speak to them.

Refreshing customer service.