Thoughts on Durablue?

Buckman18

Few years back I found a great deal on a used jm Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. According to the serial# it was made in 1981. Like many old Marlins, the finish on the stock was wearing off, and the receiver, barrel, and tube had some very minor pitting/rust.

The idea for the purchase was so I could refinish the gun, for fun. I am putting a glossy tru oil finish on the stock.

For the metal, I've been reading about the high gloss Durablue aerosol. However, before I make the purchase I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has ever tried it and what your thoughts are?

Dennis

I did the same thing on a 336 it came out ok. Much better than before. Not nearly as good as a ceracoat but much cheaper.

killerv

Not to talk you out of durablue... but if you are comfortable breaking that gun down, you could do a nice rust blue right over the top of what you have, assuming you've cleaned away all rust. Its fun, and inexpensive, you probably have everything you need to do it at home expect the bluing solution. I think you would like the results better.

I did an old 742 with the Durablue, the trick is to clean the metal very well, buy the degreaser they sell. Warm the metal with a heat gun or blow dryer and spray light even coats, let dry in between coats, I had to buy more Durablue to get the coverage that I wanted. It turned out ok,I only had a very small run and was able to use steel wool to smooth it out and re coat.

Buckman18

Yeah mine ended up about 95% ok. Ended up with a small run on receiver and one on barrel. It was my first try and that was the learning curve. But... overall very pleased. Ill post picks after i get done with the wood later this week, just 2-3 more coats of tru oil and im done. Really fun project.

Buckman18

The gun before....

IMG_0577(1).jpg

The gun after....

20200302_195408.jpg

Buckman18

Looks like you did a good job.

The first time you do something there is that learning curve... the directions said to spray heavy on the third coat. I sprayed a bit too heavy and there are a couple of small runs. Ill know better next time. The wood actually looks much better than the pic shows, i was very proud of how it turned out.