Tikka barrel swap

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I've got a Tikka T3 Hunter in 300 WM and I just ordered a factory take off Tikka barrel in 6.5 PRC. Is there anything else to do for this caliber change besides swapping the barrel?

Another question, do you have to measure/adjust the headspace on a Tikka using another factory barrel or just torque it down properly? Trying to decide whether I need to take is to a smith or do it myself with a barrel vice and action wrench. It might be worth buying the tools to do it myself in case I ever want to switch back to 300 WM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TJay

I don't know but the guys at Mountain Tactical (Tikkaperformance.com) might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Clemson

If headspace is too short, you have to ream the chamber out. If it is too long, you have to trim the barrel tenon and the shoulder. In either case, you really need to get a gunsmith involved. If you are lucky enough to hit the headspace when screwing the barrel on the first time, you don't need to do either, but you won't know without gauges. Taking the original barrel off and installing the new barrel requires a barrel vise and an action wrench.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If headspace is too short, you have to ream the chamber out. If it is too long, you have to trim the barrel tenon and the shoulder. In either case, you really need to get a gunsmith involved. If you are lucky enough to hit the headspace when screwing the barrel on the first time, you don't need to do either, but you won't know without gauges. Taking the original barrel off and installing the new barrel requires a barrel vise and an action wrench.

Good to know, thanks!

Darkhorse

Clemson

Tikka's are no more difficult than Remingtons and Winchesters. I find them to be among the easiest of actions to rebarrel.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Tikka's are no more difficult than Remingtons and Winchesters. I find them to be among the easiest of actions to rebarrel.

One more question if you don't mind. Once I've had the new barrel installed by a gunsmith and he's made whatever adjustments are needed to it, could I then switch back and forth between the two barrels myself as long as I have the proper headspace gauges to check it after a swap?

Jester896

Senior Clown
once it was set up properly and lathe work done if needed... I would think all you would need is a vice and a Go Gauge.

Are the factory recoil lugs a different material? I might upgrade them both in the process. Keep them as a unit...lug n each barrel

Clemson

Tikka T3 recoil lug is integral with the receiver.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If you’re gonna make a switch barrel, put a witness mark on the WM before you turn anything

Great idea, any suggestions on how to do it in an inconspicuous manner? Maybe the underside where its hidden by the stock? Use a grinder to make the mark?

Darkhorse

Darkhorse

I thought the barrels from Criterion came ready to use with no more machining that needed to be done. At least that's what I thought.

J Gilbert

Search this on Youtube, definitely doesn't seem like rocket science based on the videos I've seen, and I bought a Tikka this year so that in the future I could get prefit barrels and change them out myself at home, though that's a down-the-road project for me right now

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Been a minute on this thread, but I figured I would follow up. After the purchase of a barrel vise and an action wrench I was able to remove the factory 300 Win Mag barrel and replace it with a factory take-off 6.5 PRC barrel. I checked head space and the new barrel checked out great with no machine work. I had to do some inletting on the wood stock since the new contour was a little beefier, but not too bad. Took it to the range today and ended up with sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I'm a hunter not a shooter so those results are good for me!