Tiller Options

B. White

The last tiller I bought was a troy bilt in the 80s. They probably are not made like they were back then, if like most things. I see there is a tiller made by DR that is a better price. Any opinions on the best brands now? Any experience with DR quality?

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

I used the biggest Troy Built they made growing up in the 80s and 90s.

Today actually, I rented a Honda from HD to till up my front yard. It didn’t like going through a bunch of dead (roundup) Bermuda grass but it worked on slow speed.

It was a capable machine and I would recommend it for a larger garden or general purpose tiller. It was not as good as the old Troy though. I’m pretty sure this Honda weighs half as much but probably has similar power. Still a good machine though.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve got a Troy built tiller. Rear tines and have had no problems with it. Six years old. I have worn out one set of tines. Replaced tines last year. Still runs like a new one.

Fork Horn

Maxim makes very nice tillers. Perhaps not as easy to use as the larger model Troy Bilt, but still a very well made machine.

ucfireman

Do the Troy builts everyone love have counter rotating tines?
The one I used did not and while it was "easy" to use it didn't till for nothing. Unless the ground was already tilled.
I have a MTD and have had a craftsman years ago counter rotating tines and it will dig down deep, you do have to fight it some but it will till.
Cant comment on others.

earlthegoat2

The Troys I used did not have counter rotating tines.

I guess I didn’t see it as a problem. I did use it a lot in an established vegetable garden so there wasn’t a bunch of roots so it tilled very well.

The aforementioned Honda also did not have counter rotating tines and I was using it on a front yard full of thick bermudagrass roots and sweet gum tree roots at a shallow depth. It was all over the place but I could never have expected more from it. That was some tough terrain a tractor mounted tiller would have had a few problems with even. I have used those too plenty as I do a lot of lawn installs these days.

From my experience with Troys and the Honda I would say counter rotating tines would make for very slow moving of the machine as the tines would continuously be countering the forward movement of the drive tires. I understand that is sort of the idea but even with forward rotating tines, if they get too deep, the drive tires can start spinning and you have to lift up to get forward traction again. I imagine it would be nonstop with a counter rotating machine.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I have a Husqvarna rear tine tiller. You can spin the tines backward or forward, it’s also nice that it’s self propelled. It does a good job. The only other tiller I’ve ever used was an ancient front tine something, you had to use your man hands to keep it straight.

snooker1

I am searching for a new tiller also, I had a small front tine tiller that I used in the garden for the past few years but it dead now. I want a rear tine tiller but the few I looked I was not impressed with.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I have a Husqvarna rear tine tiller. You can spin the tines backward or forward, it’s also nice that it’s self propelled. It does a good job. The only other tiller I’ve ever used was an ancient front tine something, you had to use your man hands to keep it straight.
we have a HQ. my only complaint is the transport mode is so slow.

B. White

I really wanted to try the DR, but due to lack of inventory around me and needing to get it done, I ended up with the Champion brand Home Depot sells. I've used it several hours now and it has plenty of power. This is the first year this spot has been plowed and I have a lot of fescue clumps and the occasional root from hedges I removed with the loader. Considering that, I am running it at about 40% power to keep it from bucking when I hit a clump.

If you hit a large piece of limb or rock and it blocks the tines, the belt squeal lets you know it. This only happened a few times where I hit big chunks of wood. It does a good job of self clearing smaller stuff and the fescue. I think it will be fine once I am on my second season here and the grass is gone. My only concern will be parts availability, but that is probably a concern with any of them in this throw-away culture.

Araliane

I see that everyone is talking about Troy Built tillers. Is that brand the best right now? I do see a lot of positive feedback about their equipment. I guess it's the leader in the market for mechanical garden tools right now. Does anyone know if they have any snow blowers in their range? My parents have asked to find one for them, but I don't know much about gardening equipment. I have to search the internet for articles on the subject and try to find the best option. This link is quite helpful: https://www.growgardener.com/best-single-stage-snow-blower/. But I would really appreciate it if you could throw in some options. Thank you!

If the budget allows look at the BCS or Grillo from earthtools in Kentucky. They have dealers here in Georgia as well.
They are Italian made two wheel tractors not just tillers. The tiller is a pro powered attachment and they make a multitude of powered and non powered implements for these two wheeled tractors.
The Grillo 110d is the best of the lot.