Timber Rattlesnake

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ya`lls are colored up a little different from ours down here. I don`t see the brown stripe down the back on that one.

We also don`t have a black phase like the two in your avatar picture.

Around here it depends on the snake, some have a visible line some don't. You definitely don't see it as defined as you do on a canebrake though.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How long do they get up there? About 5 and 1/2 feet is as big as I`ve ever caught for a canebrake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Never saw one colored exactly like that here in the Smokies either. Ours don't usually have the back stripe either. They are almost all either yellow phase with a black tail or black phase here. Two I ran across less than a mile from each other one morning last year:

blackrattler2.jpg

yellowrattler1.jpg

As for size here, about 4' would probably be average. I've seen a couple of five footers. My grandma killed one that was over 6' back many years ago (with a hoe,) but that one was just unusually huge. The yellow phase one in the pic above is 5' or very close to it.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
You’re not right goin and looking for em like that.All due respect. I was under the impression that canebrake and timber were the same snake. Please advise?

You’re not right goin and looking for em like that.All due respect. I was under the impression that canebrake and timber were the same snake. Please advise?

Canebrakes are just the southern variety. They are still Timber Rattlesnakes, just look a little different.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Loosely the same snake, but with differences. They have often been treated as separate subspecies, sometimes just as different races. All canebrakes are timber rattlers, but all timber rattlers aren't canebrakes.

As RW said, the canebrake is the southeastern flatland variety of the timber rattler. They have different coloration than the classic timber rattler, and sometimes differences in the chemical composition of their venom.

Loosely the same snake, but with differences. They have often been treated as separate subspecies, sometimes just as different races. All canebrakes are timber rattlers, but all timber rattlers aren't canebrakes.

As RW said, the canebrake is the southeastern flatland variety of the timber rattler. They have different coloration than the classic timber rattler, and sometimes differences in the chemical composition of their venom.

Yep, and I should have pointed out that Canebrakes are the southern coastal plain race of the Timber Rattlesnake. Southern montane Timbers, like the ones you would find in the Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains, are not canebrakes.

Jim Boyd

SC version...

This one was about 60” long and very gentlemanly.

Allowed a great many pics and videos and never once displayed any attitude.

44852930-F6AD-4202-BCE6-EE2474209D78.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
SC version...

This one was about 60” long and very gentlemanly.

Allowed a great many pics and videos and never once displayed any attitude.

View attachment 987967
I have never encountered an aggressive timber rattler. Most won't even coil and rattle unless you really mess with them. That black one in my pic above is about the testy-est one I've encountered over the years, but he was about to shed and his eyes were clouded over. He would have bitten me if I had given him the opportunity. The yellow one above, I had to pick up with a stick and move out of the trail, and he still didn't get ill. Just crawled away.

Buckman18

The one in my avatar was very aggressive. The second we saw each other he coiled up and started buzzing. But, he had just ate a rabbit. My daughter was with me and this was her first such encounter.
20191021_085143.jpg
20190902_135939.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve only run up on one canebrake that had a bad temper. Opening day of deer season 2015 and it was around 45 degrees. I didn`t see the snake till I was just about to step on it. Only canebrake I`ve ever seen that went into a coil and picked its head way up off the ground like a diamondback will do rather than stay low. That snake got mad in a hurry, for no reason. I really believe I woke it up out of a deep sleep. It should have never acted that way especially in those temps.