Time for a new 1911

Madman

No. I like nighthawk because they're slides and frames are both machined from forged steel. They also hold very close tolerances and have a few little extras I like.

It makes fitting a lot easier.

Madman

20210424_194504.jpg20210425_073934.jpgNotice the supports in the slide rails? Stippling relieves the some stresses in the slide and it will close in so as not to fit on the frame if you don't support it for about 10 hours.

Madman

A friend of mine has an air stippler. It is just like using and electric pencil.

Madman

Got the barrell legs ruff fitted.20210423_125239.jpg

Last edited:

Madman

Trigger is done too. 2 3/4 lbs. Medium after travel.

Clemson

How do you keep a 1911 with a 2 3/4 pound trigger from doubling?

Madman

Proper trigger job. Sear hammer engagement is usually the problem, or excessive after travel may cause the weapon to go auto because the sear won't engage the hammer to stop it. The excessive rear travel of the trigger pushes the sear and won't allow it to release forward to the hammer.

If you don't control your shots you will double tap.

This would be a bullseye gun, for carry I set the triggers 3 1/ to 4 lbs.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I thought the manuals suggested 4-4.5...I might need to reread. I really think my Kimber is 3.5 and it has never doubled..but it doesn't have much over travel if any.

Madman

Barrwl lgs finished. Good engagement with the slide stop pin.
I thought the manuals suggested 4-4.5...I might need to reread. I really think my Kimber is 3.5 and it has never doubled..but it doesn't have much over travel if any.
Which manuals?
I set bullseye guns at 2 1/2 -3 lbs
Carry guns 3 1/2 +
Duty guns at 7

Spec. Ops are 3 1/2 to 4

Set the trigger to the level of the shooter, or whatever you are comfortable with.

The beauty is, all you have to do is pop off the grip safety and adjust/change the spring.

Madman

Mag well finished, sand blasted with 120 grit, sides polished. Next the grips go on and we will have a looksey. 20210502_184936.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Barrwl lgs finished. Good engagement with the slide stop pin.

Which manuals?
I set bullseye guns at 2 1/2 -3 lbs
Carry guns 3 1/2 +
Duty guns at 7

Spec. Ops are 3 1/2 to 4

I looked that up again and you are real close to correct
NRA rules are 3 1/2# minimum and all other center fire is 2 1/2# and it is for safe operation not safety for competition pistols.
carry 3 1/2-4 1/2#
Duty 5-7#

The other source I was thinking about is my Jerry Kuhnhausen service manual it says 4-4 1/2#

Madman

Jerry Kuhnhausen is really good. Arguably one of the best.