Time for a new dog. Need suggestions

ucfireman

A Fiest, or any of the terrier mixes that mimic the “old farm dog” is one heck of an all around house dog.
They can be had in almost any mix to fit almost any situation and they aim to please.
We have two, one a small lap dog for the wife, and the other is a squirrel hunting machine.
Ours are loosely “Rat Terriers” but that breed has only been recognized for a few years so it’s more a type than actual breed.
Had 6 rat terriers. Love the breed. All were house dogs but were great dogs. 1 did like squirrels and 1 was a ball fetching machine.
Always noticed they look a lot like the "fiests" everyone talks about.

tucker80

I love my Boykin. One of the smartest and most loyal dogs I've ever had, and I've had a bunch. Retreives, flushes and loves the water.
That said, they're hyper as all get out so be ready for that. They do shed a little as well. Grooming will help.

Big7

The Oracle
Standard Dachshund ?

Loving, loyal and easy to train.
Standards don't shed. Don't stink. Dry fast after a bath or swim. Get along good with other domestic animals, even cats. They do enjoy being the Alpha when they get about 3 y/o. Not so much as to be a problem.

Best of all. They love to be loved- at your convenience. If you are busy, they chill until you can show them attention. They will sleep in the bed with you- all night, without so much as a twitch.

Mine will try to hide a bone- not food, in the house.

WilcoSportsman

I picked one up a month ago. Beau is 12 weeks old and fits right in with the rest of the family. Picks up commands easy right now and is my fishing/riding around buddy. Not a big wing-shooter but have read up on training and will try to relay it to him. Whatever he picks up is icing on the cake - the goal is a well mannered companion/family dog.

Attachments

• 42969.jpeg
    42969.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210903_190520184.jpg
    IMG_20210903_190520184.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210822_112727822.jpg
    IMG_20210822_112727822.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210904_072005674.jpg
    IMG_20210904_072005674.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 82
If you looking for one that hunts, I'd look into a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. We just got ours in July so she is still in her puppy stage, but I do love her. : )

Not nearly the craziness of say a GSP or Lab, but still will put you on a bird. Bonus....GREAT family pets. Very kind dogs that are eager to please. They don't shed, and are hypoallergenic. Just hard to find. We had to drive to Illinois to get this one. H&H Kennels. GREAT group though.

Other than that, Boxer is a GREAT dog. Miss mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg j

There are several different breeds that have been crossed with Poodles so that they don't shed. My brother has two that are a cross between Poodles and Australian Shepard. My neighbor has one that's a cross between Poodle and Bernese Mountain dog. It's got paws bigger than my hands. and i have big hands.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Brad sorry I am late to the party, like Nic and Bearclaw I have a Blue Heeler(Australian Cattle Dog) and love her. She is an outside dog. The wife has a miniature Schnauzer and she is a great indoor pet. The Schnauzer is a loving and loyal dog, not near as smart as my heeler but smarter then most.

Bkeepr

What kind of lifestyle do you lead? I've had Australian cattle dogs/heelers and Lacy dogs. both are active hyper dogs that need a job or they will get into trouble. Heelers have a double coat so you get lots of hair. Lacys have a shorter finer coat that also sheds but not near as much. The hairs look like some crazy person plucked all their eyelashes...lots of them. Both breeds become attached to their family and sometimes just one person in the family. Both can be stubborn because of the jobs they were bred to do...Lacys are hog dogs and cattle dogs. I prefer Lacys because I think they have fewer health problems than heelers in my experience. I use mine for blood tracking but in the past they have also herded cattle, sheep and ducks. They also tree squirrels and other people have had theirs retrieve ducks and doves. lacys are an all purpose homestead dog.

yota4x4

I seen a few of yall post Boxers! Does anyone have a lead to a good boxer breeder with a good bloodline? We lost ours 4 years ago to cancer and it is time for another one!! But i would like to get one from a reputable breeder with good bloodlines.

Doug B.

I would heavily discourage any kind of rescue. I have seen too many that are crazy and that is why the original owner got rid of them. It is a lot better to get a pup and train them yourself. That way they grow up knowing what you want out of them. One that already has some age on them is hard to turn around in your favor. I know there are exceptions but I am not in favor of a rescue. At all!!!

Balrog

Best dogs I have ever had always came from the pound.

The main reason a dog ends up in the pound isn't because the dog is crazy.

We have a Heinz 57 that is a boxer/lab/hound mix. He's been a great dog. Only problem with him is we went out of town and left him at home. He got bored, got under the house (I had accidentally left crawl space access open), and chewed up about $5,000 worth of AC duct work. So he has been pretty expensive.

If you go with a pure bred dog, be careful of the dogs lineage and make sure he isn't inbred.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Update. Been meaning to post this since Christmas. We settled on a Springer Spaniel. This pic was taken the other day and she’s growing like crazy. My daughter’s dance teacher breeds Springers and had this puppy left about a month before Christmas. My wife showed me a picture and told me how much. She thought it was a lot of money but I told her to go for it. She hemmed and hawed around and the dog was bought by somebody else. We thought we were going to have to make other arrangements. Lo and behold a couple weeks before Christmas we got a message from the breeder saying she had the puppy again as something had happened with the couple who bought her. We jumped at the second chance. My daughter cried when she got her. This is Jolene, my wife and kid like Dolly Parten, but we call her JoJo. She’s a great addition to the family, smart as a whip, and already treeing squirrels.
1EDB0499-A386-4C23-91FF-E6DDEBA39189.jpeg

pjciii

She is Beautiful. Both girls. I had 2 Springer's. Both i thought i would kill until they get about 3 or 3.5 years an settle down. They smart As a whip and will test you. Those are some large paws on that girl. Thanks for update.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
She is Beautiful. Both girls. I had 2 Springer's. Both i thought i would kill until they get about 3 or 3.5 years an settle down. They smart As a whip and will test you. Those are some large paws on that girl. Thanks for update.
Yeah I have to really be patient. She will definitely test you and her intelligence is part of it. But I can tell she’s going to be one of my favorite dogs I’ve ever had. I’ve never had a Springer before but they seem to have an interesting personality. Sort of, “Ok, you’re in charge. But only because I’m letting you be in charge.”

Redbow

I agree with the pound dogs. Some of the best dogs we ever had came from the pound or were picked up beside the highway but if I were getting another dog today it would be a lab or mixed pit bull.

pjciii

Yeah I have to really be patient. She will definitely test you and her intelligence is part of it. But I can tell she’s going to be one of my favorite dogs I’ve ever had. I’ve never had a Springer before but they seem to have an interesting personality. Sort of, “Ok, you’re in charge. But only because I’m letting you be in charge.”

You will find as she learns more they have very expressive Faces and eyes.