Time for a new dog. Need suggestions

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
We lost our Lucy back in June after eleven great years. We are thinking about getting a dog for Christmas but not sure what breed. I doubt I’ll be able to talk my wife into another bulldog just yet. She wants one that doesn’t shed as much and I ain’t having a lap dog. Suggestions are welcome.

Reactions: Dub

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
And I hate little dogs, but I would have a Yorkie. Those little things are vicious.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
We love our Boykin Spaniel!
Great pet / inside dog and a great hunter, flusher and retriever!
Very easy to train!
Thanks. Two votes for the Boykin.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Australian Cattle Dog. Blue Heeler. When one of them bond with you, it`s like no other dog you`ll ever get owned by.
I would love one of those. Next question, Nic, do they shed bad? My wife is going to ask. I wouldn’t care what she said but this particular dog is going to be for her and my daughter as much as for me. I already know what I’m getting for myself.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I would love one of those. Next question, Nic, do they shed bad? My wife is going to ask. I would care what she said but this particular dog is going to be for her and my daughter as much as for me. I already know what I’m getting for myself.

No more so than most other breeds. Only problem, which really isn`t a problem is that they are so dadgum smart.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I might recommend a Fiest for lower than average shedding, a strong bond to its owner, and its attitude. They can make good squirrel dogs and great watch dogs as well.

If you are looking for a non hunting pet I would recommend adopting one. Nearly everything or a close mix of it is available sooner or later. We are involved with rescue and are currently fostering a couple of Black Labs (siblings), a great looking Fiest that likes people but not other dogs, one of those white Golden Retriever mixes that lolks like to call "English" Goldens and a bunch more.

All of ours belong to a Rescue up in New Jersey but if you find something in Georgia that you want to adopt I will volunteer the transportation for the lucky dog.

SC Hunter

I'll add that growing up we had a big white and brown American bulldog that had so much personality and intelligence it was unreal. We have a lab, a lab mix and a great pyrenees now and their all great dogs. Sadie the black lab will aggravate you to death with a ball. haha Our great Pyrenees roams the neighborhood everyday and does her rounds visiting everybody. Charlie my yellow lab mix is my once in a life time dog once he's gone I'll never have another big dog because nothing can ever compare to him.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I might recommend a Fiest for lower than average shedding, a strong bond to its owner, and its attitude. They can make good squirrel dogs and great watch dogs as well.

If you are looking for a non hunting pet I would recommend adopting one. Nearly everything or a close mix of it is available sooner or later. We are involved with rescue and are currently fostering a couple of Black Labs (siblings), a great looking Fiest that likes people but not other dogs, one of those white Golden Retriever mixes that lolks like to call "English" Goldens and a bunch more.

All of ours belong to a Rescue up in New Jersey but if you find something in Georgia that you want to adopt I will volunteer the transportation for the lucky dog.
I thought about a Feist. I can always use another squirrel dog. Thanks.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'll add that growing up we had a big white and brown American bulldog that had so much personality and intelligence it was unreal. We have a lab, a lab mix and a great pyrenees now and their all great dogs. Sadie the black lab will aggravate you to death with a ball. haha Our great Pyrenees roams the neighborhood everyday and does her rounds visiting everybody. Charlie my yellow lab mix is my once in a life time dog once he's gone I'll never have another big dog because nothing can ever compare to him.
I would love another bulldog. Lucy was an English/American mix and she was the best dog I’ve ever had. I’ve had a lot of dogs and a lot of good ones from hounds, mutts, to whatever else and she was the best. But my wife isn’t ready to do that again and like I said this dog will be for her and my daughter as much as for me.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Boxer all day long.
Ive had 5 of them. Short hair. Every single one has been naturally protective of my wife. Just as happy to go climb a mountain as laying on the couch all day.

I also have a mountain fiest. Ive only had one so YMMV.
I love her to death but she a little different. Smart as all get out. I swear when you tell her to do something. Each and every time she mulls it over before deciding if she wants to or not. She sleeps with one ear open at all times. At first her going nuts in the middle of the night irked me. But i realized i dont have to worry about somebody messing around the house at night. Nothing much gets past her radar. She is absolutely obsessed with tree rats though. She is a killer too. Not for people who have other small pets.