Time to shut down my Experimental Trap line...All DONE! Thanks, everybody!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
About a month and a half ago I shot a coyote in my yard, and saw another one the next day. I made a spur of the moment decision to take up trapping, and in another week I had my first traps in the ground. Fast forward to today and the neighborhood has five fewer coyotes including a mother with pups that probably didn't make it.

I have had zero activity for over a week and have been toying with the idea of shutting down.

Well, my mind got made up for me today with a job schedule change that would require me to get up at 0400 every day to run my line.

Not gonna happen.

So, tonight is the last chance to catch my nemesis Digger, who has twice left me a big track and a couple of exposed traps. Gonna let my woods cool off a while, without me riding thru twice a day.

I have no choice but to consider my project a roaring success, and I want to thank some folks for their encouragement, and help.

@furtaker
@buckpasser
@antharper
@fatback
@Ol' Gobblero

And most of all @Doug B. He has entertained a bunch of phone calls and texts, and cheered me on from the get go.

If I missed anyone, thanks to you too...

Time for me to quit monopolizing the trappin' forum and give someone else a chance. I'm out for now, but I'll be watching, and trying to learn more for cooler weather.

Or if I start seeing new sign... ?

Doug B.

I think I can speak for everybody when I say I am going to miss the daily updates, questions, observations, and conversations. I am sure your project was a success! You caught coyotes at the toughest time of the year! Look at how much you have learned! That part never stops. Or at least it shouldn't.
As Railroader said, he and I have had some great phone conversations. If you can imagine an extreme south Georgia boy talking to an extreme north Georgia hillbilly....... and understanding each other. ?
Hopefully we will still talk years from now.

I'm looking forward to trapping season and you making some catches under ideal conditions.

buckpasser

I’ve had a ball witnessing your success. You’ve had a lot of it - success that is, in a relatively short amount of time. As you now know, trapping is fun and addictive. Also, as you know, there aren’t many of us. If we can ban together and do what it takes to keep this sport legal and viable, us few trappers are sitting on a proverbial gold mine. There aren’t many sports this fun that people want you to do on their property, and some even pay you to do it!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, it's done and done. Everything washed, dyed, waxed with FMJ, and put away.

I am sold on the floor wax hot-dip. Out of the boiling dye, into the FMJ, hang to dry.

I am also sold on the peat moss for setting. Makes a beauty of a set, and stands the weather very well.

There is also no substitute for the MB 550. My loaner traps were a cheaper variety, and well, there's just no comparison.

I had several baits, urines, and lures. I should have kept up with what went where, but I didn't. All seemed like a good choice.

I sorta wound up with a new hobby, and learned a new skill that may come in handy in the future. Could actually NEED a coon or possum someday...

fatback

Sounds like you had a good start to your trapping career. It’s a bunch of fun and challenging. I’m sure you will get after them good come December.