Tine Gouged or Bullet Hole

Sixes

This buck showed back up late in the season and I got these pics (from videos) a few days after the new year. I can't decide if he was gored fighting or was shot, but it appears to be a hole and the hair looks odd. This is a suburban area so I wouldn't put it past someone to shoot at it with a .22.

janbuck1.jpegjanbuck2.jpegjanbuck3.jpegJanbuck4.jpeg

Swamprat

Swamprat
Can't say one way or the other. All the pics shown seems like the deer would have some sort of spine damage even from a 22. The third pics looks like it is
just clipping the lower part of the spine

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say definitely shot because he’s got a hole on both sides , Hunter probably said perfect shot rt behind shoulder , I guess that’s the famous no mans land shot placement , rt under spine , he probably fell and after a few seconds got up and took off , and they still looking for him , hope and think he’ll heal rt up

Sixes

I’d say definitely shot because he’s got a hole on both sides , Hunter probably said perfect shot rt behind shoulder , I guess that’s the famous no mans land shot placement , rt under spine , he probably fell and after a few seconds got up and took off , and they still looking for him , hope and think he’ll heal rt up

If the deer was shot, he was either shot a half mile or so away or was shot illegally (which wouldn't be surprising), this is family land that I am the only one that hunts but it is surrounded by a subdivision and then the COE land where hunting is illegal. But, I run off trespassers every year, no one respects property lines anymore and the more people that move here, the worse the problem seems to get.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If the deer was shot, he was either shot a half mile or so away or was shot illegally (which wouldn't be surprising), this is family land that I am the only one that hunts but it is surrounded by a subdivision and then the COE land where hunting is illegal. But, I run off trespassers every year, no one respects property lines anymore and the more people that move here, the worse the problem seems to get.
Yes I agree , I also live in a subdivision and have shot a couple in my backyard...just couldn’t help myself !

Sixes

I guess I need to put my camera and some corn back out and watch the healing process and try to get him to stick around until this fall.

brdyhll

Is the core land close to you off limits? I know some in north Georgia allows bow hunting now. Kinda looks like maybe a bad bow shot with a fixed blade broad head somewhat. But knowing what kind of people live around us I’d say a 22 from the road is a good guess too

Sixes

Is the core land close to you off limits? I know some in north Georgia allows bow hunting now. Kinda looks like maybe a bad bow shot with a fixed blade broad head somewhat. But knowing what kind of people live around us I’d say a 22 from the road is a good guess too
Yes its a no hunting area, there is a tiny strip open for bowhunting with permit a couple of miles away, but it is tiny and it is the only COE hunting on this side of the lake.

brdyhll

Yes its a no hunting area, there is a tiny strip open for bowhunting with permit a couple of miles away, but it is tiny and it is the only COE hunting on this side of the lake.
oh ok. I wasn’t sure about the refs on that property. I’ve never put in for the coe tags but I do like the idea of it. Hate that he’s hurt though maybe it won’t bother him any and you’ll get him next year

Buck Dropper

I shot a doe several years ago that I thought was around 300 yards. She was only 250, and I held a little too high. I was shooting a .308. Hit her right about that same spot and she dropped in her tracks. Started kicking like crazy and she hopped up & ran into the woods about 15 seconds later. I think the shock knocked her down but she was able to handle it. I never saw any signs of her dying. Zero blood.

BamaGeorgialine

Field point or maybe a mechanic that didn't open. I know a police officer that pulled an arrow out of a deer's neck that was shot with a field point in Peachtree City. Deer was alive and seemed fine after it was pulled out