To look or not

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Disclaimer: I am the master at getting game to come in from behind me. Doesn’t matter if it’s turkey, deer, even pigs. Even when I try to trick myself and turn around in a spot I originally planned on facing the other way......they always come in from behind.
I always seem to freeze and am afraid to move(or look), in hopes it will come into view. The question is to look or not to look? In bama last year, I grunted in something BIG, it was right under my stand and I swear it shook the ground! I was paralyzed and I never saw it.
On Sunday I heard the soft steps Behind me and to my right less than 20 yards. Again I froze, but In my peripheral I saw a grown deers legs! It surely was a buck, but he just disappeared into the thin air he appeared from......I never saw his head.
I feel like I just need to turn my head and look, not worry about getting busted......what do you do when you hear something coming in from behind?

Gbr5pb

I’m pretty good at it too. Spend some time sitting in box where can’t see behind and they still wind up there. Don’t think there is a easy answer sometimes you will get busted sometimes you can do the busting

slow motion

You won't know unless you look. Sounds like you already know what will happen if you don't look. Turn slowly. Try to face into the wind if there is any. Less chance a deer will walk to you from downwind though it does happen. Good luck.

buckpasser

How high are you climbing/sitting? I use a climber most often and in pine timber I usually go to around 35’. That high I can do yoga and they don’t notice me. In hardwoods I’m forced to stay around 17-20’ tops to be able to see under the canopy. I’m forced to sit much more still then, but I never mind moving my head around. I just do it slowly.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
If you don’t look, you’ll regret it.

I’ve shot deer over the shoulder, left handed, turned on my side and dang near upside down. Even pulled the trigger knowing I was going to “scope” myself.

Don’t hestitate or you’ll be telling stories instead of skinning a deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have killed a lot of deer in my life that involved standing up and turning around before shooting.

oldfella1962

No I do not look. Even if I could slowly turn to see them would I be in a position to actually shoot anyway? That would just be frustrating. I just continually scan what I can see without moving and try to only move when there's at least some wind to hide my movements. I am hard of hearing (and have tinnitus) so I certainly can't hear deer approaching under any conditions. I can hear squirrels which for me is important because if squirrels are nearby, then very likely so are deer since they both eat acorns. If the squirrels start barking, something large is approaching near them, most likely a deer or coyote or maybe another hunter.

Hillbilly stalker

Concentrate on hearing everything. The quicker you hear it.....the more time you have to react slowly. Move your eyes the most. You should be able to see 180 degrees without even moving your head. Deer pick up horizontal ( left to right) movement much quicker than up & down. If your in a tree, the more cover the better. It takes practice but you can practice on deer you have no intentions on shooting. A lot of times that you get picked off it’s because deer have busted you in that stand before and they come in looking. I hunt on the ground a lot and have seen deer stare straight up at an empty loc-on stand. A old grey face banana head doe will show every fawn she has where to look.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Got to get out of that “freeze” mode......talking myself into looking. I am pretty good at turning Very slowly while just scanning and looking for movement. It’s when I KNOW something is approaching I get that freeze factor..... gonna beat it next time and look.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Concentrate on hearing everything. The quicker you hear it.....the more time you have to react slowly. Move your eyes the most. You should be able to see 180 degrees without even moving your head. Deer pick up horizontal ( left to right) movement much quicker than up & down. If your in a tree, the more cover the better. It takes practice but you can practice on deer you have no intentions on shooting. A lot of times that you get picked off it’s because deer have busted you in that stand before and they come in looking. I hunt on the ground a lot and have seen deer stare straight up at an empty loc-on stand. A old grey face banana head doe will show every fawn she has where to look.
I have been thinking of putting Or making a ground blind about 30yards from my leaner........I might as well while I wait on my Xbow repair

oldfella1962

All you need is a rear view mirror!

I know a guy who uses one! More than one time it gave him a "heads up" on what was behind him and saved him from getting busted, or even gave him time to get ready to eventually get a shot. It's a low tech approach that only takes a minute or two to set up.

Deerhead

I am laughing with you... It happened to me too last year. 25 ft up a tree. I know its a big deer tearing up the woods as he marches in over my left shoulder. Perfect right. I set up to raise my rifle to get ready... He busts me and is gone. I should not have moved. But who would have guessed... Everyone but me LOL

Nimrod71

Go ahead and look. heck if he runs so what you weren't going to get a shot anyway. If you are high enough, slow and quite enough you may get a shot. Always get as high as possible. The higher you are the more mistakes you can make without being seen or smelled. That's why I don't use latter stands, can't get high enough.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member