To spin or not to spin

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts on fletching angles and spinning or not. I have been fletching my own for a bit and just got a jig that really curves them for “ true helical” twist. I’ve never had any problems with my straight fletchings either and My mechanical BHs fly true with either as well. The only thing I have heard about this subject was that you needed to spin fixed blades.
I feel like I get a little more drag with the heavy spin and I ordered a fall away rest for the twisted veins versus a whisker biscuit. I think I just opened a can of worms and am second guessing the jig I got..........maybe I should have gotten a straight one instead.
What do you all use?

bullgator

I used mostly straight. I would try a straight with offset before I went with a radical helical.

Tadder

When I shot traditional , I had a hard helical, but with compound not some much. I did shoot fingers with a compound years ago and had a hard helical on those easton alumni shafts. I'd say you don't need so much with todays compounds.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah I’m second guessing that twist I got on my jig......but I do like fletching 3 At a time. I guess that’s why I asked

Hillbilly stalker

There is a reason firearms arms have rifled barrels. They are much more accurate than smooth bores. Any football in flight spirals and there is also a reason a baseball pitcher throws a knuckle ball. If you are one of the guys who wants maximum speed out of your gear, helical causes drag.....but it also causes stability with your arrow. 3-D shooting it doesn’t matter, a fixed blade will show the difference. Shoot a bare shaft with a fixed blade and you will see the broad head does the steering. A fletching with a decent amount of helical will negate that. Broad heads are made much smaller today than they were 20 years ago and I believe that is why. When someone tells you you don’t need helical.....hand them an old Muzzy 3 blade and ask them to shoot it on their arrow. That will always tell the tale. They are great broad heads but require a larger fletching with helical. In archery there is always a trade off. Of coarse you can always overdoe anything. A 5 inch feather twisted up like a candy cane is loud in its self. If you shoot a smaller fixed blade like a slick trick or wasp, you can get by with less. I have shot alot of different kinds of broadhead / fletching combo’s. You have to find what works for you.

Ihunt

I’m all about accuracy and I shoot COC type heads and most of the times very large ones. For me, I like helical and I also prefer feathers.
If you want a straight fletch instead of that helical I may be willing to swap you. What do you have? Arizona Mini?

Tadder

I shoot the 3 blade muzzy for yotes and hogs. I have about a 1 degree helical on may gold tips. I fletched the new TAC 2.25 Drivers. FLY VERY ACCURATE.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m all about accuracy and I shoot COC type heads and most of the times very large ones. For me, I like helical and I also prefer feathers.
If you want a straight fletch instead of that helical I may be willing to swap you. What do you have? Arizona Mini?
yeah that’s the one! it’s pretty sweet and it seems the less glue the better and cleaner the finish is. I’m just getting the hang of it really. I have a fall away rest coming so I’m gonna play with that before I let it go. I just got some fletchings in the mail today so I’m gonna stick some more tomorrow.

Hillbilly stalker

yeah that’s the one! it’s pretty sweet and it seems the less glue the better and cleaner the finish is. I’m just getting the hang of it really. I have a fall away rest coming so I’m gonna play with that before I let it go. I just got some fletchings in the mail today so I’m gonna stick some more tomorrow.
Try some razor feathers. They offer way more control than Blazers or Fusions...cheaper than full feathers also. I shoot a 31 inch arrow and they work for me with fixed blades.