Tobacco juice for bee stings

gadeerwoman

All these posts about old home remedies made me remember my Daddy's cure for bee and wasp stings...tobacco juice. I was always trying to catch 'king' and 'queen' bees when I was growing up and until I learned to really tell the difference I sometimes got a bumble bee by mistake. My Dad would always spit a mouthful of tobacco juice on it to take away the sting. It worked.
And how many have ever rubbed the top of a catfish's head on the sting when you got barbed by an old catfish fin?

Nugefan

have tried and still use the juice on stings .......

never heard about the catfish head thing ....

DaddyPaul

I don't know if it works or not buy my daughter got stung by something the other day and I put a hunk of slightly used snuff on it and about thirty minutes later you could barely see the bite? She also quit crying shortly after I put it on there?:huh: Never heard the catfish thing?:(

Trizey

Tobacco juice works well on jelly fish too. I had a Porteguese man of war get on me when I was little and it wrapped around my torso pretty good, that was some pain! The tobacco really helped the stinging.

SBG

gadeerwoman said:
And how many have ever rubbed the top of a catfish's head on the sting when you got barbed by an old catfish fin?

Have heard the catfish thing...but it was always the "other" end used to rub with.:hair:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve used both techniques and they seem to work.

bradpatt03

use the juice for stings all the time...seems to work good...thankfully haven't been finned by a catfish yet but i'll have to try that if i ever do

Swamprat

Swamprat
Trizey said:
Tobacco juice works well on jelly fish too. I had a Porteguese man of war get on me when I was little and it wrapped around my torso pretty good, that was some pain! The tobacco really helped the stinging.

Whew, that was a wad of chaw there. I have had man o wars wrap around me a few times and man do they hurt. Like somebody putting out 100 cigarettes on your skin.

I have used tobacco juice from time to time on stings before. Works better than anything else.

vince

As a child in the 60's I had to use the tobacco many times. Grandfather and uncle ran several trot lines at Clarks hill and I would go check the lines with them.They always told me not to get finned by a cat and I never did so i don't know about the cure for being finned. Never head rubbing of the cats head on it though.But if I do I'll try it.

specialk

my daddy one time tore up a cigerette and moistened the tobacco and put it on a wasp sting i got. i guess it worked cause i'm alive today!.........my granny always put a dab of baking soda on the sting and poured a few drops of vinegar on it and it would fizz up, that still works for me today.........

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
If I am not mistaken, the amonia in tobacco helps draw out the venom and make the pain and swelling go away (I guess like the bite/sting pens). Vinegar and baking soda work as well.

Never heard about the catfish, though.

Jody Hawk

Remember my Daddy and Uncle Cleve putting tobacco juice, or ambeer as Cleve would call it, on bee stings many times. Have I ever told y'all how a cat reacts when you spit ambeer in his eyes? :bounce:

Last edited:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Baccer has alot of uses chewing is the best one but you can use it for stings as well

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
A little meat tenderizer works as well:bounce:

killitgrillit

nuttin like a pinch between the cheeck and gum, waitin for a bee to happen a round

xjd33x

my granny used to wipe her snuff juice on me every time I got stung. I don't recall it ever doing any good, but I sure do miss it

MudDucker

Staff member
Used wet tobacco on stings. Never heard of using the catfish head, but rubbed the belly of a catfish on catfish stickings and it seemed to work.