Tonight (Oct. 19) at 7 p.m. on Zoom: Spotlight on Georgia Delayed Harvest Trout Fishing!

Steve Hudson

GEORGIA DELAYED HARVEST TROUT FISHING
Tuesday, Oct. 19, AT 7 p.m. on ZOOM

The coming of fall means it's almost time for Delayed Harvest trout fishing to begin, and to help you get off to a great start I hope you'll make plans to join me this Tuesday evening, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m. on Zoom for a detailed look at Delayed Harvest trout fishing right here in Georgia!

Georgia's "DH" Trout Season begins Nov. 1, offering several months of great catch-and-release trout fishing on five different and unique fisheries across northern Georgia. It provides an exceptional angling opportunity!

In this program we will take a look at what Delayed Harvest is and what the upcoming DH season has in store. You'll learn how DH works, why it works, and (most importantly!) how YOU can get in on the fun yourself. We'll talk about tactics, techniques, flies and locations, with plenty of great info on finding and accessing Georgia's Delayed Harvest streams.

I look forward to seeing you this evening at 7 p.m.!

ZOOM login details:

Date: Tuesday, Oct. 19
Time: 7 p.m. Eastern
Meeting ID: 840 1085 7564
Passcode: DH

F.A.R.R.

Did they have any information on this as to whether DNR has trout to stock, considering the hatchery diseases ?

Steve Hudson

According to the DNR, Georgia will stock the Amicalola, Toccoa and Smith Creek DH sections. South Carolina will be taking care of the Chattanooga, which forms the Georgia/South Carolina border).

That leaves the Chattahoochee. Unfortunately, the Whirling Disease outbreak has impacted the number of available trout, and that (along with other considerations) is affecting this year's DH stocking plans. It takes a lot of trout to stock the Hooch DH in any meaningful way (typically, the Hooch DH section receives about 50,000 trout over the course of the season). But I'm told that there are simply not enough trout available now to effectively stock the relatively enormous Chattahoochee DH this year. As a result, DNR will not be using the available trout to stock the Hooch DH this DH season. Instead, the available fish will be stocked in those three other Georgia DH waters (while South Carolina picks up the Chattooga).

I do dearly love to fish the Hooch DH and have many great memories from those waters over the years. But I try to look for the good news, and part of the good news here is that I'll now be nudged into spending more time exploring some of the other great DH waters that Georgia provides!