Too late?

SRShunter

my dad and I just acquired some new hunting dirt. Do yall think its too late to plant? The way it looks we might not get a frost this year lol. I think we should be fine, heck maybe even better off waiting this late. Was thinking about some grains...wheat, oats, and rye. Then top dressing with some TSC or Walmart clover mix since its so late in the game and see what happens

dick7.62

Due to health reasons I haven't planted yet. I have planted some this late before. I have a relative who farms and one year because of health reasons he didn't plant wheat until January and made a crop. It's not too late.

Bigbendgyrene

Not 100 sure where your hunting dirt is / what your season dates look like, but as my place goes in North Florida (zone C5) I PURPOSEFULLY AIM for planting mid-October.

With a rain or two, my game cameras show heavy activity within about two weeks.

Deer REALLY LOVE the tender new growth, so my thinking is by plating when I do I'm able to have tender growth as long into season as possible, with our gun in C5 lasting from Nov 7 to Jan 24.

Planting dates have served me relatively well -- only hunted my place since 2014 / deer pictured below are one's I've harvested in that time.

DSCN0615 (2).jpg

Bo.jpg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just for reference, my younger brother, 800 miles north of Atlanta, just planted his winter wheat crop 2 weeks ago.

Dean

As noted, location is a factor...but 2, maybe 3 years ago when we were in a "drought" thru most of the Fall, we didn't plant until (rye grain, wheat, oats, clover) the weekend after the rifle opener, sometime around Oct 24th or so.... November rains had our plots looking good enough to hold deer by Thanksgiving....Piedmont region of GA.

Dbender

You are fine, you can plant wheat in december no problem. I prefer to plant later due to weed competition. As long as it's kicking by mid Nov you are good to go.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
It's not too late. I usually plant mid to late Oct. Just planted oats and purple top turnips on Tuesday. Pretty sure the weather man screwed me over but oh well... it'll rain sooner or later

uturn

Not 100 sure where your hunting dirt is / what your season dates look like, but as my place goes in North Florida (zone C5) I PURPOSEFULLY AIM for planting mid-October.

With a rain or two, my game cameras show heavy activity within about two weeks.

Deer REALLY LOVE the tender new growth, so my thinking is by plating when I do I'm able to have tender growth as long into season as possible, with our gun in C5 lasting from Nov 7 to Jan 24.

Planting dates have served me relatively well -- only hunted my place since 2014 / deer pictured below are one's I've harvested in that time.

View attachment 1045211

View attachment 1045214

Beautiful Buck Big! I do much the same and feel almost the exact same way and where I am at I’m able to plant after the peanuts are up or near that time anyway. And as well seem to see the tender grow way into late season and my plots are a great place to be near right till close of season!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’m not even plowing until this Sunday. Planting next Thursday.

Mackie889

I say plant, plant, plant! I planted my last of 10 food plots yesterday. With the rain that fell right after (1/3”), it should be sprouting nice tender growth within a week. It’s a long hunting season, it’s really just starting to get good. PLANT! Here is a picture of a 2-week old plot:

Attachments

• BE308491-1449-430F-A99C-BD6FBB3C65D6.jpeg
    BE308491-1449-430F-A99C-BD6FBB3C65D6.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 26

deers2ward

I am just north of Macon, and I always plant at the end of October.

Folks I know who plant early do it because when deer season is in, they want to be hunting and not working. Or they are in a club and have to do it when the club says to.

I planted this last weekend, but I'm going to plant some more first week of December just to see what happens. According to Canuck5's chart above, I don't see that being an issue.

Bigbendgyrene

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I tilled and planted the plot pictured below mid-October, finishing on October 18 after broadcasting clover and and rape seed and doing my last drag over the soil. So even a bit after mid-month I had bare soil.

October 18.jpg

By our gun season opener on Nov 7, the plot was completely green with tender growth averaging about 4" tall as seen in the pic below.

DSCN2553.JPG

Fast forward to our rut activity peaking around Thanksgiving, and the plot really had taken off despite quite a bit of steady browsing pressure. Watched 15 deer eating in this 1/2 acre plot the afternoon before Thanksgiving Day... trail camera wasn't wide enough to capture them all but they were there.

Plot Full.jpg

Despite browse pressure, growth is lush in much of the plot.

DSCN2750 (2).jpg

Family activities kept me out of the stand on Thanksgiving Day, costing me this buck that my neighbor harvested just hours after the buck visited my plot.

Split Ear 2020.jpg

Only thing I'd add is that I have about 6 small plots spread around my place and as the years are passing I don't sweat too much about trying to put them all in at the same time -- figure having them spread a few weeks apart in planting help make them most attractive at slightly varying times.

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very nice!

Latest posts