Too many does?

bubbafowler

I haven't seen a property where I remember every of age doe having fawns, or at least most, since the 90s. I live on 150 acres. We don't kill does and average 1-2 bucks a year. We are far from over populated, yet of the 5 does i see regularly 2 have fawns. One has twins the other has a single. One un bred looks like she may only be a year old so maybe she wasn't old enough to be bred last year but the other 2 were. So based on my very minimal data only half my does had fawns. Oh and i run allot of cameras here normally. I see bucks day to day on this property that have never been on a trail camera.

XJfire75

A few years ago we had 22 cameras on 2100 acres and our biologist told us we probably only captured 10% of our deer on the property on camera.
Wow. If that’s the case I could be slaying does and they’ll keep coming

XJfire75

This is from right out my back door about the same time i had several does at my neighbors property feeding also. There’s 8 here and 4 more on the other camera. Guess I won’t be eating tag soup this year lol.

Attachments

• BB9F2CEC-A985-4FB8-A138-DA77C25E8619.jpeg
    BB9F2CEC-A985-4FB8-A138-DA77C25E8619.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 28

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The only real answer is to contact a biologist to come out and give his/her assessment.
When I see many does I attempt to shoot a few. When I see many bucks I invite a few friends to shoot one or two.:huh:

Mexican Squealer

The does on properties surrounding my 2 GA farms get hammered like folks have been “taught” is the right thing to do.
Since buying a farm in SC with giant land owners surrounding me that do not prescribe to the killing of every doe you see, I truely believe that wacking all the does is not the best thing for the herd. I’d be glad you have ‘em...assuming they have plenty to eat and are in good shape. The bucks will be there.

XJfire75

The only real answer is to contact a biologist to come out and give his/her assessment.
When I see many does I attempt to shoot a few. When I see many bucks I invite a few friends to shoot one or two.:huh:

Talked to one yesterday and she said from my observations and explanation that it sounded like it wouldn’t hurt to kill 4/5 does this year and see what my browse in winter and numbers look like next spring. Also said that if only 50% or so of the does are being bred that there are too many and too much social and herd stress to attract bucks to stay around year round. Same as having such a long breeding window(Oct-Jan). Which I guess could make the use of calls and scents more effective if there’s bucks cruising my area smelling hot does that long or seeing chasing all season. Reckon I’ll find out in a few months!

MFOSTER

BANNED
Managing does is as important as managing bucks if you have that problem.more than likely the bucks are not having to move to have all the does they can fulfill.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Get you a bunch of Florida boys up there, they will fix that "problem", from what I understand..............

That or some hogs. Get them started and you won't see many does or bucks.

livetohunt

I also think people around you are shooting a lot of bucks. This is common when you get in the suburbs around town. I live in a heavily wooded area outside of Newnan and rarely see any decent bucks, but I hear plenty of shots at dark once the season opens. I think people put corn out to watch the deer, and when they see a buck he gets shot.

Mark K

Banned
I know of a place that takes 60-80 does a year and kills 150”+ every year as well. They also have a true RUT. Seems the old save the does adage is also saving the bucks as well.
We are going to try and take about 40 this year and see what it looks like next year.

XJfire75

That or some hogs. Get them started and you won't see many does or bucks.
Dealing with them on my leases now. This time last year I had a dozen potential shooters on camera. This year I ran cameras all summer, panted a great summer food plot and ran a protein feeder. Hogs moved in, 0 deer pics, literally.

Putting a trap out today

Bud Man

1566135640705.pngOn reply #22 this is an example , Last night is the first time seeing the 9pt and 10 pt , 7pt been around a few weeks , they were out there for 35 minutes and there is a camera on the post holding the feeder and they never walked in front of it . This picture is from 65yrds away sitting on my back porch. There are probably more Bucks close than you think. 9 cameras on 32 acres and no picts. of these guys. Guess I gotta put up another one LOL . Good luck this year1566135640705.png1566135640705.png Everyone

XJfire75

On reply #22 this is an example , Last night is the first time seeing the 9pt and 10 pt , 7pt been around a few weeks , they were out there for 35 minutes and there is a camera on the post holding the feeder and they never walked in front of it . This picture is from 65yrds away sitting on my back porch. There are probably more Bucks close than you think. 9 cameras on 32 acres and no picts. of these guys.

Guess I’ll put a few more then too lol. I’ve spotted some old rubs and community scrapes so I know they’re coming through. Just hope to catch them now that I love on this property and it’ll be my first full season here.

BassHunter25

You don’t want to over pressure your small tract by over harvesting. You probably need to take as many does as you can but I would do it really early and late. Try to improve your property as much as possible. Also, I doubt if many does aren’t being bred. There are a lot of other factors that result in them but having a fawn. We have a good buck to doe ratio (1:2) and I only see a 50 percent adult doe to fawn ratio. I think the lack of fawns is due to predators along with health issues.
Benefits of a 1:1 ratio is intense rut. But I’m my experience it tends to shorten the rut and bucks even she’s antlers earlier.
When the doe ratio is a little higher the rut isn’t as intense but you are more likely to see rutting activity all season long. Pick your poison?

rigderunner

I keep being told that there is no such thing as to many does but who believes everything there told. I think to many does is a big problem across the state in many areas they need to be thinned out I try real hard myself cause you can't eat them horns I've tried them boiled baked fried and smoked and never did like them. :rofl: