Too many young bucks?

PoultryMan

Hey y’all,

I have been hunting my own 20 acres for the past 7-8 years. I usually take 1-2 deer off it each year.

There are a lot of deer on the property and see deer most hunts until late December. Every year I am LOADED with young bucks. It’s always 3-4 spikes, 1-2 4 points, and 1 6 point. It’s been that way every year for the past 7 years. I keep passing on these young bucks with hopes of them turning into something decent, but that never happens.

I do have a good number of does on the property as well. Should I start burning a buck tag each year and try to thin the young buck herd or do I keep passing them up?

CaptKeith

The neighbors are probably harvesting them as they get 6-point or better.

PoultryMan

Only one of my neighbors hunt. He shot a spike last year. First deer he has taken in years. Rest of the property is surrounded by residential land with no hunting.

CaptKeith

Only one of my neighbors hunt. He shot a spike last year. First deer he has taken in years. Rest of the property is surrounded by residential land with no hunting.
Interesting! Do you have game cameras out or only what you see?

Nimrod71

If you aren't seeing the little bucks, someone is killing them or they are moving to other properties. Older larger bucks and old does will run young bucks off. Are you killing big bucks on your property? If you are not seeing big bucks you need to thin the does.

PoultryMan

I keep cameras out all year. Currently I have 3 spikes, one 3 point, two 4 points, and one 5 point on the camera. The biggest buck we have ever had on camera was an 8 point that randomly showed up two years ago in the middle of December. My wife was able to kill him. Other than that, it’s just tons of small bucks and does. Most of the does seem to have twins each year too.

Timberman

Sounds like they like your place for summer range when they’ll run together. They won’t do it all year so when it gets time they scatter. Bucks won’t stockpile especially mature ones.

KKrueger

I have the same thing going on in my suburban spot. On the rare occasion that I do see a good one or get pics he is never back the next year. I run lower standards there now since I really don't think it matters what I do or don't do.